What's with the ads?

Photo

Homeschool High School Biology

biology high school ap honors

143 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#101 Erin

Erin

won't let her babies grow up to be cowboys...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

Halcyon: Someone posted this one earlier in the thread.

On a separate note:
I saw that Elemental Science is doing online biology classes again this year. Looks like they are using the Miller/Levine Macaw book & are calling it Honors.

Spinoff questions: has anyone done one of their classes? Are they any good?

#102 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2504 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

We have added a great free resource to ds's Miller Levine book (actual book from school, plus iBook version of same text). The EO Wilson iBook series, Life on Earth, seven volumes, free, correlates very well with the Miller Levine. It is beautifully designed with gorgeous photos, animations, and embedded videos, not to mention Wilson himself. I would say it is about the same level as the regular, on-level Miller Levine.

http://eowilsonfound...-life-on-earth/

This looks really nice. My daughter is excited about it. I had planned on Miller-Levine with the Kolbe syllabus, but it seems redundant to use both. There is a corresponding free course on iTunesU that has end of chapter questions and project suggestions. I notice the projects often require downloading a new app to use in the completion of the project, but many could be done without that, and I wouldn't do a project every chapter anyway.

#103 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

Has anyone actually downloaded and used all of the EO Wilson book? I have had difficulty with the first chapter.

• Vida Winter likes this

#104 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2504 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Has anyone actually downloaded and used all of the EO Wilson book? I have had difficulty with the first chapter.

What trouble did you have? I downloaded the second book and have looked all the way through it, but not read all the text. I can try the first one. I'm not sure how big the files are, and didn't want to use up too much space on my iPad by downloading all at once. It seems all the multimedia features could make for some large files.

#105 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4691 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

I tried (unsuccessfully) to download the first book. If you look in the ibook "comments" section, I'm not the only one who had this trouble. Is your difficulty getting the book or using it?

• Dina in Oklahoma likes this

#106 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

I tried (unsuccessfully) to download the first book. If you look in the ibook "comments" section, I'm not the only one who had this trouble. Is your difficulty getting the book or using it?

Getting the book.

• Vida Winter likes this

#107 Erin

Erin

won't let her babies grow up to be cowboys...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1850 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Keep trying. It took me several tries. Just glancing through, it really looks interesting!

#108 kand

kand

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2504 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Getting the book.

What device are you viewing on? They work fine on my ipad, but are not viewable on the computer.

#109 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

What device are you viewing on? They work fine on my ipad, but are not viewable on the computer.

I tried two different iPads. The sample for the first book downloaded fine.

#110 JanetC

JanetC

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

I tried two different iPads. The sample for the first book downloaded fine.

Mine came down really slow, but showed up eventually.

#111 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

Mine came down really slow, but showed up eventually.

Mine was stuck half downloaded for weeks. Maybe I just have too much on my iPad.

#112 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4691 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

What trouble did you have? I downloaded the second book and have looked all the way through it, but not read all the text. I can try the first one. I'm not sure how big the files are, and didn't want to use up too much space on my iPad by downloading all at once. It seems all the multimedia features could make for some large files.

I tried it on an Ipad (first book) but all I got was an error.

#113 Alessandra

Alessandra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6681 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

I have downloaded (from iTunes) and used all 7 books, use them a lot. I am using an iPad Air, the first Air, with 128 GB and up to date iOS, and cable internet. Haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are any space constraints? The books have embedded videos and animations.

I do remember the original download was slow, because I did all the books at once. But most big books, like Miller Levine, take a while.

#114 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:56 AM

I have downloaded (from iTunes) and used all 7 books, use them a lot. I am using an iPad Air, the first Air, with 128 GB and up to date iOS, and cable internet. Haven't had any problems. I wonder if there are any space constraints? The books have embedded videos and animations.

I do remember the original download was slow, because I did all the books at once. But most big books, like Miller Levine, take a while.

I've downloaded and used the other books - not all at once- only had problems with the first. To be honest, we ended up going with Biozone NGSS since DC will probably do Biology again later.

#115 Stingyhag

Stingyhag

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

I'm so confused, lol.  I was really considering the "Science for High School" biology course.  Then I looked at the link for lab materials from the Home Scientist.  The lab supplies for the Science for High School looks more like prep work to become a butcher.  Using CK12 just seems like such a hassle (I've been unable to really use any of the materials thus far).  Has anyone really used the Science for High School program, and offer some input?

#116 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:10 AM

I'm so confused, lol. I was really considering the "Science for High School" biology course. Then I looked at the link for lab materials from the Home Scientist. The lab supplies for the Science for High School looks more like prep work to become a butcher. Using CK12 just seems like such a hassle (I've been unable to really use any of the materials thus far). Has anyone really used the Science for High School program, and offer some input?

Can you link it?

#117 Stingyhag

Stingyhag

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

Can you link it?

http://www.sciencefo...-total-package/

It has specimens to dissect, but looking at the other stuff, it seems to focus more on cells and bacteria.  I would thing (no science backround here) that the cells and bacteria would be of higher importance.

#118 Vida Winter

Vida Winter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4691 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:59 AM

Cross posting - realized these resources were not posted on this list, or maybe they were at one time and I can't find them here now. This is what dd will be doing this fall. In the past with other dc I have used Oak Meadow (Holt), and Miller Levine (McCaw).

Biology Corner (free, self-paced, secular, uses older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book) - We will be doing the regular biology class (1, 2) with honors (the 1A & 2A activities). They also have a separate AP Bio Class for those interested. See links along the left side of page:

http://www.biologycorner.com/

Although the Biology Corner has labs incorporated into the course I could not resist getting the Experiences in Biology ebook & accompanying databook from Homeschool Science Press:

https://www.homescho...epress.com/shop

We already have a ton of lab equipment but plan on picking up what we need from Home Training Tools:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

I love the way the courses are designed on Biology Corner - self-paced, with printable worksheets and frequent self-quizzes that are automatically graded. If the regular bio class works well, dd can take the AP bio course later on.

• Melissa in NC, HootyTooty, Dicentra and 2 others like this

#119 Alessandra

Alessandra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6681 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:01 AM

I've downloaded and used the other books - not all at once- only had problems with the first. To be honest, we ended up going with Biozone NGSS since DC will probably do Biology again later.

That is puzzling. I just double checked and the first book works fine for me.

#120 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

That is puzzling. I just double checked and the first book works fine for me.

If you have a 16 GB iPad, don't try to download the EO Wilson book. I had wipe out everything on my iPad to get it to download so I could delete it. It is a very cool book, but it's a huge file.

#121 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

http://www.sciencefo...-total-package/

It has specimens to dissect, but looking at the other stuff, it seems to focus more on cells and bacteria.  I would thing (no science backround here) that the cells and bacteria would be of higher importance.

I'm not an expert, but I agree. It doesn't look great for the cost.

#122 gevs4him

gevs4him

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:05 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful resource - you put  a lot of time and effort into it - much food for thought I never realized that there were so many choices!

• ColleenInWis and Dicentra like this

#123 ColleenInWis

ColleenInWis

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

I have no first hand experience with it, but this plan of study looks appealing to me:

High School Biology with Living Books by Jamie McMillin. The resources used are listed here.

Regards,
Kareni

Updated link for this.  And another living books for biology plan from Barb Mccoy, who is a great nature study blogger.  

Edited by ColleenInWis, 19 June 2015 - 08:43 AM.

• Sebastian (a lady) and Dicentra like this

#124 Kareni

Kareni

BEEn here awhile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15925 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thank you for the correction, Colleen.  And thank you too for the additional link.

Regards,

Kareni

#125 Haiku

Haiku

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10034 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Biology Corner (free, self-paced, secular, uses older Miller-Levine Dragonfly book) - We will be doing the regular biology class (1, 2) with honors (the 1A & 2A activities). They also have a separate AP Bio Class for those interested. See links along the left side of page:

http://www.biologycorner.com/

I saw your recommendation of Biology Corner. I have been looking at it, and it looks really interesting, but I am having a very hard time understanding how to use the site. I don't really see how the 1 and 1A are differentiated or where there is a schedule to help pace the student. Would you mind giving me a brief overview of how your daughter is working through the site?

Thanks so much!

#126 slux

slux

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

Has anyone used either of Thinkwell's Biology courses? Can you tell me your thoughts about the course? And did you do a lab of your own with it? Many choices for Biology on this incredible list, but not sure how to choose the right one for my son.

Thanks!

#127 Tammi K

Tammi K

Suddenly Morally Degenerate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2883 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

Has anyone used either of Thinkwell's Biology courses? Can you tell me your thoughts about the course? And did you do a lab of your own with it? Many choices for Biology on this incredible list, but not sure how to choose the right one for my son.

Thanks!

We've used Thinkwell math for years so decided to give biology a try. My daughter was not happy at all. She found it really dry.  The format that works well for her in math ( lecture / demo) didn't hold quite the same appeal with the biology. Also, while the teacher seemed friendly he didn't have the same engaging manner as Mr Burger does with math.  We switched to Otter's High School Biology by Guest Hollow. She was much happier.

• jenn&charles, Dicentra, Cuckoomamma and 1 other like this

#128 MomatHWTK

MomatHWTK

Find&Share Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4729 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:13 PM

I tried using Plato's high school biology with DS but he didn't like it.  Now we are using this:

http://ocw.mit.edu/c...logy-fall-2011/

• Vida Winter, Alessandra and Dicentra like this

#129 Sebastian (a lady)

Sebastian (a lady)

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12395 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

Can't remember if Winogradsky Columns are suggested upthread as a biology experiment.  

Here is a nice set of directions:  http://www.hhmi.org/...ology-classroom

The same site also has some other interactive material, including virtual labs.  http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive

The site is free.

• kand, Dicentra and reefgazer like this

#130 Gatorgalmom

Gatorgalmom

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether to switch Biology curriculum from Apologia (which I used with older DD) for my 9th grade DD.  I see on the boards that DIVE (using Apologia) and Oak Meadow (using Holt) are both on the honors list, even though Apologia and Holt are not.  Can someone explain this for me?

Thanks!

:-) Kristi 

#131 JanetC

JanetC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi! I'm trying to decide whether to switch Biology curriculum from Apologia (which I used with older DD) for my 9th grade DD.  I see on the boards that DIVE (using Apologia) and Oak Meadow (using Holt) are both on the honors list, even though Apologia and Holt are not.  Can someone explain this for me?

AP is very narrowly defined by the AP syllabus, but "honors" can be pretty broad. Any textbook can become an honors text, depending on what projects/labs/supplements you add. Apparently, these syllabi were considered rigorous by the people who suggested them for the list?

• Dicentra likes this

#132 Alessandra

Alessandra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6681 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

If you have a 16 GB iPad, don't try to download the EO Wilson book. I had wipe out everything on my iPad to get it to download so I could delete it. It is a very cool book, but it's a huge file.

Oh, right….

I have 128 GB. It got stuck when I downloaded a slew of apps from Touch Press during their recent sale. I got rid of a bunch of stupid games that I never use and have them backed up on my computer. I have several hundred pas, a slew of Miller Levine length iBooks, and a big Kindle file. But even 128 GB does hold everything, lol.

So, maybe doing one EO Wilson book at a time, backing it up to a hard drive, and so on might work?

#133 Targhee

Targhee

Cat Herder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2631 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:51 AM

Oh, right….

I have 128 GB. It got stuck when I downloaded a slew of apps from Touch Press during their recent sale. I got rid of a bunch of stupid games that I never use and have them backed up on my computer. I have several hundred pas, a slew of Miller Levine length iBooks, and a big Kindle file. But even 128 GB does hold everything, lol.

So, maybe doing one EO Wilson book at a time, backing it up to a hard drive, and so on might work?

You can download and use one section/book at a time - probably the best way to deal with storage issues. You can also download to a computer. I have two volumes on a 16Gb iPad mini currently. I delete the volume we finish as we go and have the next ready to put on the device

#134 Alessandra

Alessandra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6681 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:44 AM

You can download and use one section/book at a time - probably the best way to deal with storage issues. You can also download to a computer. I have two volumes on a 16Gb iPad mini currently. I delete the volume we finish as we go and have the next ready to put on the device

You are very disciplined!

#135 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

Does anyone know of a schedule or pacing guide for CK12 Biology?

#136 JoJosMom

JoJosMom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6956 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

Guestbook has one-and it's free.
  • Dicentra likes this

#137 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:40 AM

I found it. Each chapter has a small table within the TE pages that says how many "class" periods to spend.

#138 MamaSprout

MamaSprout

Head Sprout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

Singapore Biology Matters is listed as out-of-print. It seems to be alive and well at Rainbow Resource:

http://www.rainbowre...duct/sku/012467

• Dicentra likes this

#139 dachapman

dachapman

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Does anyone know if there is a biology resource similar to Georgia Public Broadcasting high school classes for chemistry and physics (http://www.gpb.org/c.../students/all)?  I used the GPB physics class last year (which includes weekly lectures, homework assignments, and labs) and was really happy with that resource.  I'd love to find something similar for biology for my weekly co-op class.  Having lectures to view during the week allows me to teach the class flipped, so that our precious weekly meeting time is focused on labs and collaborative experiences.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Dee

Edited by dachapman, 07 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#140 JanetC

JanetC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2387 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:58 PM

Does anyone know if there is a biology resource similar to Georgia Public Broadcasting high school classes for chemistry and physics (http://www.gpb.org/c.../students/all)?  I used the GPB physics class last year (which includes weekly lectures, homework assignments, and labs) and was really happy with that resource.  I'd love to find something similar for biology for my weekly co-op class.  Having lectures to view during the week allows me to teach the class flipped, so that our precious weekly meeting time is focused on labs and collaborative experiences.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Dee

MrDBioCFC YouTube channel would be a good video supplement for Miller-Levine homeworks and labs.

• Dicentra likes this

#141 daijobu

daijobu

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2268 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Does anyone have reviews of the AP biology offered by PA Homeschoolers?  Are there any other online AP bio options?  

#142 Haiku

Haiku

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10034 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

Extremely well-done instructional videos to use when studying Miller Levine Macaw biology

The teacher teaches at a Catholic high school, so I don't know whether all of them are entirely secular, but the ones I have viewed have been comprehensive and engaging.

• kand, NoPlaceLikeHome, loesje22000 and 4 others like this

#143 ColleenInWis

ColleenInWis

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:58 PM

We decided to use CK12 biology this year for my 16 year-old daughter.  So far, so good.  So much better than Apologia that we used for some of the older siblings...  more interesting, more detailed, more colorful.  Good explanations and graphics, including videos, though we don't watch them all.  The workbook is decent, and there is a separate test pdf which we haven't used.  Early in this thread (p. 1) is a link to "Otter's biology," which is one mother's adaptation of CK12 biology complete with schedule, experiments, online resources and supplemental readings. 

• Dicentra likes this

#144 JennyMomofOne

JennyMomofOne

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

We liked this:  Exploring Creation with Biology.

• Dicentra likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biology, high school, ap, honors