Menu

Homeschool High School Biology

Biology is AP. 

Concepts and Connections is honors level high school, sometimes used for non-majors one semester college.

Exploring Life was the old Cambell on level biology, that was actually quite gentle.

I'm not familiar with Essential Biology. It looks like it is a new offering - web based. Here is the Pearson page. They say it is appropriate for a wide range of students and is college prep - sounds like on level to me. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great resources!! I think I have decided to Biology this year with dd for 9th grade. 

Question which resource would be best use -- I have my old Biology textbook from college a few years ago and I have the entire lab kit with microscope etc.. Do you think I could use this for her and add something to go with it..  

Which resource listed here would you recommend to go with this.. maybe just a workbook style with tests etc.. to go along?

Thank you!

• Like 1

- I have my old Biology textbook from college a few years ago and I have the entire lab kit with microscope etc.. Do you think I could use this for her and add something to go with it..

Which resource listed here would you recommend to go with this.. maybe just a workbook style with tests etc.. to go along?

Thank you!

Have your DD read a few pages and make sure if won't be over her head do more dense than she wants or needs. If it seems the text will work, look for an instructor guide or a study guide that goes with your textbook. Maybe Google for a syllabus that uses the same book for an assignment guide.

• Like 2

Have your DD read a few pages and make sure if won't be over her head do more dense than she wants or needs. If it seems the text will work, look for an instructor guide or a study guide that goes with your textbook. Maybe Google for a syllabus that uses the same book for an assignment guide.

Great Idea Janet! Thank you!

So I decided on a different resource for Biology, the college level book I have just seemed too much for her. ( we could always use as an extra resource) So I found a set on ebay for 9th grade level .. Just received this set and not really thrilled with what I see.. its kind of older set and I think we need something more up to date and exciting.

Are there any biology options with workbooks and easy to do at home labs.  Or secular online Biology classes?? DD isn't thrilled about doing everything with books and would like someone online work.

thanks!

Guest happyphilologist

Can anyone explain the difference between an AP Biology class and a Biology II class? And also could you recommend a textbook for a High School Biology II class?

I have a 10th grader who just finished physical science and was bored stupid with it. He actually told me he wants something challenging... so I'm trying to find a good biology curriculum for him that won't kill me in the process. I want something challenging, something that has labs and tests that come with it. I cannot write my own tests for biology! I want a secular book, because we have kept his education secular so far and I don't want to change now. I looked at apologia, since it seemed to be a package deal with labs tests and a text, but then I read a lot of families use it as a half year course and thought it wouldn't challenge him (I know it's not secular, but I can work around it).

So for Campbells - has anyone used it who is willing to explain how it works? I think he would be interested in the honors level one - concepts and connections. Does it have tests with it, and labs? How do I get the answer keys for the tests? I also school my twin 6yr olds, who are working at a third grade level right now and keep me scrambling for challenging materials to keep them going, so it is hard for me to be grading tests for a subject that I have to look for each answer in the book. I just can't do that right now. 

I'm so confused, I am very intimidated honestly by all the listings everyone puts on the classes they are teaching! We teach what I took in high school, and I was honors. Some of the lists people put up make me feel like I'm doing nothing! And I laugh every time I read posts here (I have posted once? twice? in years) because I know almost none of the abbreviations people use for curriculum LOL! 

Just want to add my thanks to the compiler!

Has there ever been a companion thread discussing microscopes? 

I just ordered a microscope from Home Training Tools, despite my reservations.  I am hesitant because there is NO information provided about the manufacturer(s) of what they sell.  Ten years ago, we wasted money by following a friend's recommendation to purchase a Lomo (Russian company) microscope.  It was so bad, we just hid it away in the box.  Not to say that all Lomo products are bad, but this one was superbly bad.

I noticed there are some folks asking questions about various topics and curricula.  You might get a response if you start a separate thread - I think this thread is thought of by most posters as a list of resources and info and they don't think to check here to answer questions.  Just a thought. :)

There was a good microscope thread on the K-8 board, Orthodox6.  Here's the link:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/318982-im-going-to-need-to-buy-a-microscope/

Which microscope did you buy, Orthodox6?  Would you be willing to share a link?

• Like 2

I noticed there are some folks asking questions about various topics and curricula.  You might get a response if you start a separate thread - I think this thread is thought of by most posters as a list of resources and info and they don't think to check here to answer questions.  Just a thought. :)

There was a good microscope thread on the K-8 board, Orthodox6.  Here's the link:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/318982-im-going-to-need-to-buy-a-microscope/

Which microscope did you buy, Orthodox6?  Would you be willing to share a link?

Thank you for the thread link!  I've a "done deal", though. 

Home Training Tools has their own essay on how to select a microscope: 

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/how-to-select-a-microscope/

They also have a chart comparing basic types, with their own evaluations:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/microscope-comparison-chart/

I selected their "Monocular Advanced" microscope because it purports to be suitable for both high school and for laboratory environments:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/advanced-microscope/p/MI-5200STD/

I would have preferred the binocular model, but could not justify the additional expense.  The cost of what I did order ($340.00) certainly is a large chunk of cash for our family.  We know, though, that professional microscopes can cost in the thousands.  We're just a normal family, bringing the last of the children through high school.  Perhaps when all is over, we might find a co-op to which we could donate this scope.

• Like 1

Thank you for the thread link!  I've a "done deal", though. 

Home Training Tools has their own essay on how to select a microscope: 

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/how-to-select-a-microscope/

They also have a chart comparing basic types, with their own evaluations:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/microscope-comparison-chart/

I selected their "Monocular Advanced" microscope because it purports to be suitable for both high school and for laboratory environments:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/advanced-microscope/p/MI-5200STD/

I would have preferred the binocular model, but could not justify the additional expense.  The cost of what I did order ($340.00) certainly is a large chunk of cash for our family.  We know, though, that professional microscopes can cost in the thousands.  We're just a normal family, bringing the last of the children through high school.  Perhaps when all is over, we might find a co-op to which we could donate this scope.

I think that's the same microscope I purchased back in 2009. :)  At that time it was called the Ultimate Home Microscope??? - something like that.  We've not had any problems with it and we love that it has the magnification necessary to do oil immersion.  We paid the extra $ to get the version with a teaching scope but that was just my preference - definitely not a necessity.  We didn't go with a binocular model, either.  I've taught my dd to keep both eyes open when using the monocular eye piece - it helps the user to not end up with a slamming headache from keeping one eye squinted shut :) and it means they can keep looking into the eye piece and still sketch a diagram at the same time by shifting eye focus back and forth from the eyepiece to the diagram.  I think you made a good choice. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if Cheryl Massengale's  amazing site, Biology Junction, has been mentioned here. I searched for "junction" and came up empty-handed, but that means nothing with this crazy search function so my apologies if this has been listed before.

While Sailor Dude is taking AP Biology at the local high school, I am working on my own so we can continue with our science discussions and I really love Ms. Massengale's resources. 

Once again, I amazed and grateful for the outstandingly organized teachers who openly share their resources.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So often I have read of homeschooling families selecting Miller and Levine for their biology textbook.  I was reading about it just now, and was surprised to read on the Amazon website, bluntly worded publisher's ad copy that the book is dumbed-down for "lower level and inclusion classrooms."  Why would such a book be recommended for other than students for whom some subjects are a legitimate tough struggle? 

Meanwhile, Science Shepherd disappointed us severely.  Very poorly written text, and occasional mistakes as well.  Don't present one chemical structure in a text paragraph, and a different one for the same substance in the accompanying diagram.  Student does not know which one is correct, and neither does the teacher unless s/he has retained strong mastery of the subject taken long ago.  I am not referring to isomers, but to the inexplicable disappearance of a hydrogen, to give an example.  This text has been touted as the "dream" substitute for another (in)famous self-teaching biology textbook.  I am so disappointed that we must abandon the book and start over.  I understood the material, but had to untangle the bad prose so many times for my daughter.  :smash:

Were you looking at this listing, Orthodox6?

http://www.amazon.com/MILLER-BIOLOGY-FOUNDATION-STUDENT-EDITION/dp/0133236382/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1412442505&sr=8-13&keywords=miller+levine

I think this level is also sometimes called the Core edition, but I could be mistaken. :)

Miller/Levine does come in different versions - the one linked above is specifically meant for struggling learners.  I think you might be looking for the on-level text:

http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Levine-Biology-On-Level-Student/dp/0133669513/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412442505&sr=8-1&keywords=miller+levine

When I used Miller/Levine last year for dd, it was the older Dragonfly edition.  I don't know if it also came in different levels but I do know there was extensive supplementary material on the Teacher Express CDROM that one could use to adjust the use of the text both for struggling students and for accelerated students.  We used the text along with the schedule and materials from Kolbe (we didn't include the religious content because we aren't Catholic but it was very easy to take out) and dd found the course quite challenging (she was in Grade 8).

I don't have any experience with Science Shepherd so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.  Unless Kolbe has radically changed their syllabus/course from last year, I can recommend that route as a good, solid high school bio course.  It comes with two options using the same text - one schedule for Reg Bio and one for Honours Bio.  The one thing it doesn't come with is a hands-on lab program or kit but you could always get the lab kit from The Home Scientist and then match up his experiments with whatever chapter you happen to be covering in Miller/Levine.  Here's a correlation guide:

http://www.thehomescientist.com/kits/BK01/miller-levine-dragonfly-correlation.pdf

Hope that helps some!

So often I have read of homeschooling families selecting Miller and Levine for their biology textbook.  I was reading about it just now, and was surprised to read on the Amazon website, bluntly worded publisher's ad copy that the book is dumbed-down for "lower level and inclusion classrooms."  Why would such a book be recommended for other than students for whom some subjects are a legitimate tough struggle? 

Meanwhile, Science Shepherd disappointed us severely.  Very poorly written text, and occasional mistakes as well.  Don't present one chemical structure in a text paragraph, and a different one for the same substance in the accompanying diagram.  Student does not know which one is correct, and neither does the teacher unless s/he has retained strong mastery of the subject taken long ago.  I am not referring to isomers, but to the inexplicable disappearance of a hydrogen, to give an example.  This text has been touted as the "dream" substitute for another (in)famous self-teaching biology textbook.  I am so disappointed that we must abandon the book and start over.  I understood the material, but had to untangle the bad prose so many times for my daughter.  :smash:

Orthodox6,

I think you responded to a thread I started about SS Biology.  Thank you for that!

I just happened to click on this particular thread this morning to read; I was so disappointed to hear about the mistakes you have found.  I don't have any specialty in biology- I just have my high school experience from many years ago, so I would not tend to recognize a flaw.  Yep, I chose this text for it's self-teaching aspect.  Dd is working through it mostly independently. She has started outlining to help her self-study which is working for her.

I'm just curious... how far along did you and your student get in the text before changing?  I wonder if the text gets better.  Would you mind giving some examples of the mistakes?  I just want to see what you are talking about. 

I REALLY don't want to even consider having to change- we are well into the year now.  I had always planned to use SS Biology- from several years ago.  Any more specific information will be helpful....just to understand how flawed the text is.  I felt so good about buying the second edition thinking any flaws would be corrected from the first one.  

Thanks!

Orthodox6,

I think you responded to a thread I started about SS Biology.  Thank you for that!

I just happened to click on this particular thread this morning to read; I was so disappointed to hear about the mistakes you have found.  I don't have any specialty in biology- I just have my high school experience from many years ago, so I would not tend to recognize a flaw.  Yep, I chose this text for it's self-teaching aspect.  Dd is working through it mostly independently. She has started outlining to help her self-study which is working for her.

I'm just curious... how far along did you and your student get in the text before changing?  I wonder if the text gets better.  Would you mind giving some examples of the mistakes?  I just want to see what you are talking about. 

I REALLY don't want to even consider having to change- we are well into the year now.  I had always planned to use SS Biology- from several years ago.  Any more specific information will be helpful....just to understand how flawed the text is.  I felt so good about buying the second edition thinking any flaws would be corrected from the first one.  

Thanks!

Good morning!  I shall do my best to address your questions when I can; however, I'm short on time for long answers.  I did exchange a PM with another mother, whose daughter used the book last year and experienced similar frustrations.  In their case, they used the book anyway, and took advantage of the "learning opportunity" to consult additional resources for clarification and correct answers.  ("PM Friend", if I have mis-described what you told me, please hop in and correct me.) 

We stopped after Test 1, which covers Chapters 1-3.  I spent time reading portions of the rest of the book before reacing a decision.  I cannot address the question of content errors for the remaining chapters because I did not have time to study that.  I did feel that the narrative portions continued to be poorly written.  This is a prime consideration for a book marketed as "self-instructional". 

There is a paucity of usable reviews on the Internet, as best as I can tell.  I suspect that there are others, beside myself, who are dazzled by the prospect of a self-instructional biology textbook (which is NOT the other "famous" one) which was written by a medical doctor.  It is easy to forget that a skilled scientist is not automatically an excellent communicator.  We have the fields of technical writing and science journalism to fill in those gaps!

If things are working well for your family, don't change on my account.  You have examined the book by now and have a "feel" for its contents.  Your daughter sounds content. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the list!

Ds is using Miller Levine Biology 2010, Macaw, in ps for biology honors. (The regular, on-level edition.) It is so heavy that I started looking for a used edition, but $$$$$$. Then I found that the complete text, illustration, glossary, review questions, is available through iBooks for $14.95, iirc. I compared to the text and content is the same, although the pages are arranged a bit differently, i.e. It is not just a pdf of the book. It is fun to use because you can highlight, and then your highlights are saved as notes; you can also add stickies.

I was also able to get the student workbook and the student lab manual from Follett via Abebooks, perfect condition, speedy shipping.

ETA Miller & Levine have their own free website to go with the book, Dragonfly as well as Macaw, I believe.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this is a great resource! I am trying to find a regular-level Bio course for my rising 8th gradrer. I think I have narrowed it down to using Kolbe Academy's syllabus and the Miller Levine Dragonffly text, and using Landry Academy's online course. I am leaning towards Landry right now--has anyone had an 8th grader take that course? We are secular homeschoolers and wondering how much of a problem this will post (to clarify, i am christian, dh is jewish, we don't mind a prayer at the beginning of class as I know Landry does, but want the science to be science, not religion). 

this is a great resource! I am trying to find a regular-level Bio course for my rising 8th gradrer. I think I have narrowed it down to using Kolbe Academy's syllabus and the Miller Levine Dragonffly text, and using Landry Academy's online course. I am leaning towards Landry right now--has anyone had an 8th grader take that course? We are secular homeschoolers and wondering how much of a problem this will post (to clarify, i am christian, dh is jewish, we don't mind a prayer at the beginning of class as I know Landry does, but want the science to be science, not religion). 

As I understand it, the textbook that Landry uses for High School level Biology is from a YE viewpoint so that might be an issue for you if you are not YE (I'm not and while I really like Landry, I wish they would make it clear that science is taught from a YE perspective).  I have heard that the science is solid, but I don't know what they mean by that or if the person who told me that was YE.  Hopefully, someone can give a more thorough review.  I'm curious, too.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. I've got about 8 tabs opened now to check out all the information. I'll be doing biology with a 14 year old and 9 year old so it's going to be interesting. But science (and particularly biology) is my passion so it won't be difficult. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this wonderful thread. I've got about 8 tabs opened now to check out all the information. I'll be doing biology with a 14 year old and 9 year old so it's going to be interesting. But science (and particularly biology) is my passion so it won't be difficult. 

You're welcome. :)

• Like 1

Dicentra, I wanted to mention that you might consider adding AGS Biology.  They have two versions.  One is more advanced concepts (like normal Bio I guess) but is written at a lower reading level for students with normal to high IQs but weaker reading skills (such as dyslexics).  It is called the Alternative version.  Amazon has much cheaper options for the materials but I linked Weiser's site to see the program.

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/i_science/38-i_life-science-biology/biology-cycles-of-life-mm8081.htm

The other version is more basic.  It still covers High School level Biology materials but at a much more basic level conceptually as well as at a lower reading level.  This one, as I understand it, would be a good choice for students that may be required in their state to take Biology to get a High School diploma (or have a strong interest in Biology) but may not be capable of a full High School level Biology course intellectually.  This one is called Foundational.

http://www.wiesereducational.com/products/i_science/38-i_life-science-biology/ags-biology-mm7381.htm

Both of those versions might be good alternatives to Walsh Power Basics.  As I understand it , Walsh doesn't have a lot of color/pictures/etc.  Is that true?  Some kids may need the more colorful texts.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recent suggestions and additions to this thread and the bio and physics threads!  I should have some time next week (March break - both for homeschool and for the college classes I teach :) ) to update the pinned science curriculum threads.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Adding a resource that I own but had completely forgotten about until a kind WTMer sent me a PM mentioning the resource. :)  Thanks, fellow boardie!! :)

http://www.thebiozone.com/

Name: Biozone workbooks
Publisher: Biozone
Level: Reg, Honours, and AP
Type: Workbooks
Additional Materials: ebooks
Teacher Resources: Teacher Resource CD-ROMs, Teacher Guides, model answers
Lesson Plans: No
Secular/Christian: Secular
Program includes labs: No
Lab kit available: No
Comments: 
  • Like 3

We have added a great free resource to ds's Miller Levine book (actual book from school, plus iBook version of same text). The EO Wilson iBook series, Life on Earth, seven volumes, free, correlates very well with the Miller Levine. It is beautifully designed with gorgeous photos, animations, and embedded videos, not to mention Wilson himself. I would say it is about the same level as the regular, on-level Miller Levine.

http://eowilsonfoundation.org/e-o-wilson-s-life-on-earth/

• Like 4