Menu

So...I REALLY want to learn Spanish!

I'm learning Spanish alongside my dd7 & dd3. We are using a variety of kid-friendly materials, including United Streaming's Elementary Spanish 1/2, the Spanish for Children cd/workbook, Berlitz Kids' "Adventures with Nicholas" series, a couple of Spanish picture dictionaries, printables from EdHelper.com, etc.

Here's my question: I really, really want to learn Spanish. I love the exposure my dd's & I are getting to the language, and the words & phrases we are picking up. I would also like to *pick up the pace* a bit for myself, so that I may even be able to "teach" vs. "learn" along with them. KWIM? What program would be good for me as an adult beginner in the language? I've heard good things about "So You Really Want to Learn Spanish" from Galore Park. Would that be a good choice? Any other suggestions?

TIA!

I think it is a great place to start because it not only focuses on the grammar but on getting you to speak, write, read, and think in Spanish. 7 and 3 would definitely be too young to use this series directly, but you could use the vocabulary to teach them. I find commands are easily learned at this age too. Coman (Eat), Vamos (Let's go), Sientense ((You all) Sit), etc. For your children's ages, get them to use what you are learning. Have them ask for leche instead of milk, say gracias instead of thank you, etc. Go to the library and check out books in Spanish. They don't have to be adult books for you to learn from. Start easy and work your way up.

Learning a new language is not an easy task but one that is so rewarding. Good luck.

Thanks for the info Patricia! Have you ever seen/used Español para chicos y grandes from All Bilingual Press? This one might be a good choice for both the girls & myself. :D The company is located here in the Seattle area, and the author is also a professor at Univ of Wash. I was poking around the internet checking out online/distance learning Spanish courses and stumbled across hers. Then a couple of clicks later took me to the All Bilingual Press site...which I'd looked at previously but didn't realize that it was local. BTW--the UW online course is based on the Destinos series. I'd forgotten about this one...I actually started watching it (the first 3-4 episodes anyway) a few months ago. I may go back & start watching them all over again.

So many resources...so little time!

I have not seen the program you mentioned. I have been taping Plaza Sesamo for my kids to watch. We also get Carmen SanDiego in Spanish. We are using Elementary Spanish very loosely. My most genius moment came a few weeks ago when I started to organize a Spanish club. A few kids will come over weekly and we will play games and do different things completely in Spanish. No English allowed. My kids will be forced to use the vocabulary they know. We have a mixture of beginners to advanced speakers.

Also check my blog for ideas on learning Spanish. I have been working on an update to those two posts but it may be another month before it is ready.

Where in Seattle are you? We can meet up so you can take a look at SYRWTL Spanish before you decide to buy or not.

HTHs,

I have not seen the program you mentioned. I have been taping Plaza Sesamo for my kids to watch. We also get Carmen SanDiego in Spanish. We are using Elementary Spanish very loosely. My most genius moment came a few weeks ago when I started to organize a Spanish club. A few kids will come over weekly and we will play games and do different things completely in Spanish. No English allowed. My kids will be forced to use the vocabulary they know. We have a mixture of beginners to advanced speakers.

Also check my blog for ideas on learning Spanish. I have been working on an update to those two posts but it may be another month before it is ready.

Where in Seattle are you? We can meet up so you can take a look at SYRWTL Spanish before you decide to buy or not.

HTHs,

Patricia,

Thanks for all the great ideas. And your blog is great! We watch Plaza Sesamo a couple of times a week. I didn't think about recording it. :o I'll have to check out Carmen Sandiego. Our use of Elem Spanish is rather loose as well. DD7 is finding it a bit...how shall I say this nicely...boring.

For myself, I decided to go through the Destinos series. Initially I thought doing an online course, such as the UW one, would be perfect...until I saw that it cost about $1,000 per course (3 courses to complete the Destinos series). :eek: I'm just way too cheap for that. So instead I've found an online syllabus & course handouts from MITOpenCourseWare, once again using the Destinos series, and have purchased the textbook, workbook, etc. from B&N online.

I may wait until my dd's are older, then have them work through SYRWTL Spanish. By then I hope to be slightly more proficient in the language myself. ;) BTW, I'm in the greater Woodinville area.

Thanks again for all your help, suggestions & patience with my questions!

• 3 months later...

I am determined to aprender espanol this year, too! I am watching a Spanish telenovella daily (I understand a surprising amount) and have a teacher through Spanish Luna (google it). There's nothing like a native speaker :)

Sue

Patricia-where in the Seattle area is your homeschool group? The Spanish club sounds great! I have been noticing that there is a lot better quality Spanish programming on TV as well as the radio, not only telanovelas. I used to put my teenager in front of the TV (only Spanish allowed) but the content wasn't the best. Now they have news, as well as childrens shows.