Menu

Living in an RV for a year?

Gentlemommy

Is it insane? Our dream is to have lots of land and a house. We have found a piece of property iChat is perfect. However, we'd have to sit on it for a year or two before we could afford to build on it. If we buy the land soon, we can continue to lie in our rental house, but it's more expensive monthly than buying an RV (pull behind) would be.

Plus, once we do build our house, we would absolutey use the RV to travel with dh when he works out of town (about 50-75 percent of the time, he is traveling). I think it would be a wiser investment to just bite the bullet and buy be to live in. We have to check if it's allowed on the property, but it's not part of a community or anything, so I'm almost positive it will be ok.

I figure, during the year or two that we live in the RV, we will have a ton of projects to keep us busy...we'd have to clear land, put up fencing, start our garden, build a chicken coop...lots of fun stuff that would keep us outside.

We would put a lot of our stuff in storage, and just bring the bare minimum as far as clothing, books, toys. I have an iPad and kindle, I could load both of those up with PDFs and books for school. The kids honestly don't play with toys much, they much prefer being outside. The girls are currently 2, 5, and 8. How many outfits? I'm thinking 3/4 church outfits and 5/6 play outfits appropriate for the season?

My dh thinks I've lost my mind lol. But I am excited to put everything away, and start over again, simply. Bare minimum. The stuff will be there if we need it, but after the year, if it hasn't come out of storage, we can feel free from it and give it away.

What about kitchen appliances? I have a crock pot and electric skillet. I know we'd have a small fridge and stove, maybe a microwave? I could get by with one pan and one pot. I think. One hard thing would be food store. Currently we do a Costco shop every other week, and buy enough for two weeks. We have a deep (stand up) freezer in the garage, which is awesome. That won't work in a small RV.

Has anyone done this? AM I crazy?! I keep thinking that the longer we stay in a rental, the more the kids are growing up, and we aren't working toward our goal of starting a small family hobby farm. I want to work toward that goal, even if we have to sacrifice for a time.

If you're crazy, so are we! We've discussed it and would be willing, if it were possible. But we are not able to afford it right now. Could you build a barn/garage for the freezer, storage, etc.? That would also give you a large area for the kids to play in case of bad weather.

It sounds pretty crazy to me! :) But it does seem exciting at the same time and if it is the means to reach your end goal and you don't think you'll lose your sanity in the process, go for it! I'd love to do a road trip in an RV for an extended time, so I guess it isn't too much different than that. I wouldn't even know where to start on what you'd need but I'd almost think it would be better to sell most everything instead of store and rebuy when you get your house if you need it. Storage is pricey!

My dream if we ever had enough $ to do it, is to buy a RV and spend a year with the children and my husband exploring all 50 states. (Well 49 because Hawaii would involve a flight not an RV) So I guess I am crazy too. I think it could be done the kids would have plenty of room to explore outside. I like the idea of building a garage or something as storage and a place to put a large freezer/fridge.

So are you going to have water and electricity hookups? How far will you be from a dump station? How often would you have to hook it up and pull it to dump? A year or 2 with the whole family in a travel trailer, what about tEa ? You may end up going to the grocery store every 2-3 days because the refrigerators don't hold that much. I can't buy a gallon of milk because of the size of my frig, and a 1/2 gallon costs nearly as much. Does you frig have a freezer? Trying to cook a real meal stinks, trying to clean up in a shoebox sized sink stinks even more. The constant shuffling of things from one surface to another grows old very quickly. What about the days that it's too cold, snowy, rainy, everyone's too sick to spend the majority of the day outside? I think I would try to find an old beat up single-wide trailer to put on my land and live in for a year or so, put in the electricity and water, dig a septic tank, and still save the rent $.

We have done it. With us, it was and wasn't by choice. Our house burned down and we lost everything. We have 20 acres and rebuilt in a different spot from where the original house was located. During the year it took to decide and rebuild we lived in a 32 ft. pull behind trailer. There were three of us (ds was 10 at the time) and two large dogs. It was easier for me than it was for my husband. He is 6'6" and couldn't stand up completely. :o Any questions?

Susie in SWVA

I have a close friend who is going on year 3 living in an RV in North Dakota. They plan to stay for roughly 5 more years, or as long as there is work. They homeschool their 3 girls from age 4-7. It is not perfect, but she says cleaning is a breeze. ;)

Do think about your climate (freezing pipes in the winter?), electricity, water and sewer access.

So are you going to have water and electricity hookups? How far will you be from a dump station? How often would you have to hook it up and pull it to dump? A year or 2 with the whole family in a travel trailer, what about tEa ? You may end up going to the grocery store every 2-3 days because the refrigerators don't hold that much. I can't buy a gallon of milk because of the size of my frig, and a 1/2 gallon costs nearly as much. Does you frig have a freezer? Trying to cook a real meal stinks, trying to clean up in a shoebox sized sink stinks even more. The constant shuffling of things from one surface to another grows old very quickly. What about the days that it's too cold, snowy, rainy, everyone's too sick to spend the majority of the day outside? I think I would try to find an old beat up single-wide trailer to put on my land and live in for a year or so, put in the electricity and water, dig a septic tank, and still save the rent $.

Ditto.

We own a 35' Class A motorhome. I absolutely love taking trips in it (mostly because I thoroughly detest even the most expensive hotels). But live in it for a year, parked in one place, with three kids? Ummm . . . . No. Just no. Strictly on the practical side, as the above poster said, you'll still need a source of water, sewer and electricity. And depending on your area and how cold it gets, you have to really think about staying warm. Most RVs use propane as a heat source, as well as to operate the stove/oven and fridge when you're not hooked up to electricity. Propane can get very expensive when using it to heat RVs, most of which aren't exactly well insulated. You can use electric space heaters, but they take up precious room. And ditto the grocery problem for three people, especially the refrigerator/freezer space. You'll be doing good to stock enough stuff for three days.

I did it.

I lived in a pop up caravan for one year. looked a bit like this http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/boolarra/caravan/jayco-pop-up-caravan/1008875663

but the one I lived in was way older and worn out.

We had no electricity, a long drop toilet and carried our water in. We also didn't have any children. I was pregnant for most of the time, and we shifted out after I had my first baby.

Those are all good questions to think about! As for the weather, we are in Florida, so the heat is the worst part. I was assuming that we would get the water/electric set up first, before we put the RV there...but now I don't know? I really don't know anything about building a house lol. I was thinking that the first thing we would have to do is clear a space for the RV. Then get water/electric on the property, move the RV on, and start clearing for the house.

Building a barn/steel building first sounds like a smart idea! We do plan on having a barn eventually. I'd love a covered arena as well...so maybe that or a barn first? We have friends who built a barn with a loft and lived over the barn while their house was being build. They have four kids and hs as well. They were up north though, I think it would be miserable with no ac here.

Dh's aunt has a lot where she intalled the hookups for her motorhome. I don't know what it cost to have that done, but that is the only way I would do it. Water, sewer and electric. Also if you could set up a shed or garage that is heated and cooled so that you could have a freezer that would be ideal. I would add a grill to the list of available cooking tools that are necessary. Good luck and I hope you guys find it will save you a lot of money and that you go for it.

Living in Florida would make it more do-able, I think, especially if wherever you plan to put it is relatively close to a grocery store and laundromat. I would look at fifth wheels, if possible. They're the most home-like and will give you the most living space and most privacy. It's common to have floor plans with a master bedroom on one end and a bunk room on the other end. Some models made in the last few years may have residential-sized refrigerators. You'd want two AC units. Or at least I would!

We lived in one for over two years. We may do it again in the near future. I think in Florida it would be fine. Get your septic and water first. Life is a whole lot easier then. Look into FEMA auctions.

I forgot about the FEMA trailers. Those would be better. Trailer size does depend on your vehicle towing capacity. Are you going to have to buy a bigger truck? Does your vehicle already have a tow package on it? We didn't want to incur any vehicle expense, so we limited ourselves to what paid off SUV could handle.