Menu

What to do with books I don't want...

mamawaabangi

I have a whole rubber maid full of books I don't want... most not homeschool related. I don't want to sell them book by book and I can't ship them each out, but I could do in bulk. I want to avoid going to the post office on other peoples orders because our PO is 30 minutes away... and I am schooling.

Thoughts or ideas?

Know of any places that will take a box of books for x amount of money?

You can put an ad on craigslist. I see posts there all the time of people selling a box of random books. Set a higher price and state that you'll accept the best offer. You could net upwards of $2 a book that way.

With most of the books I get rid of, I just donate them to my library's used book store. All the proceeds go to the library, so it's a great cause, and they'll take anything that isn't moldy.

This is what we do, too, although we take some kids' books to the thrift store that benefits the local Women's Center. It's a safe way to drop off stuff for the Women's Center without giving out the address of the Center. Many mothers and kids there who fled abusive spouses/parents. They always need good things, and books are a special item.

If you don't want to give them away look around for a used book store that might buy them. If you like the book store and will want to shop there you can trade them for credit instead -- bookstores will give more $$ is trade credit than actual cash.

It would depend where you live, but last year before we moved, I just posted to a local moms group that I'd have a couple boxes of books on my porch. It was help yourself and the honor system for $1 book, just leave the money. Sold quite a lot that way.

Check with your library bookstore before donating. A lot of great books I donated went to recycle.

Most libraries won't commit to taking donations, whether they will add to their collection, sell, or pass on. Some people bring in moldy romance novels from the 1970s and are mad that they're not put on the shelves. However, if they are decent and your library has one, they probably will be added to the book sale. Most donated books in good condition go that route.

I think you have to try to figure out if you want some money for them, and if so, the least hassle will probably involve selling them (whatever ones are accepted) to Powell's, Amazon, Better World, or some other store, OR to a small group of people who will take a lot. Otherwise, for minimal hassle, I think donation is probably the best choice.