Menu

Arab/horse people---dd got a new horse today

Ottakee

I am NOT an arab person at all but yesterday after looking at a mule (that I liked but she didn't click with) and 6 other horses, dd was SURE the Arab was for her.

Beau's registered name is El Ruach St. I don't recognize most of the names on his registration papers. He is a dappled gray, about 14.2hh and a coming 23 year old. He looks a bit rough as we had a hard/cold winter and he was in a herd setting at a camp with 60 other horses.

He is settling in well and eating lots of hay so he should gain his weight back. I will have him to the vet next week and do teeth, etc. as well since that hasn't been done in 2 years.

He is super quiet and calm, esp. considering he had not left the camp or his buddies in 6 years as they do a lot of nose to tail trail rides or gorup lessons in the arena. We needed that type of horse for 17dd and she arena rode him and took him on a trail ride yesterday and was in LOVE.

The picture is of him about 3 minutes off the trailer.

He is really hairy but shedding like crazy. I will check with the vet. We are just this past week getting out of really cold temps (ok, earlier this week we had a high of 38) so they are just starting to shed.

I want his teeth checked as well as it has been 2 years since he had those done. He is settling in beautifully. I might turn him out with one of the other geldings before too long. My gelding is super quiet and low man and isn't a kicker/biter/chaser, etc.....that is all too much work for him :-)

His only issue is that he gets a bit nervous if he can't see any other horse...........then again for the past 6 years he has lived in a herd of 60 horses at a camp where they did all nose to tail trail rides and group lessons......so he was never without another horse near him. he is fine though if he has a person near him. That is OK for us as he isn't dangerous at all and my daughter will always need to trail ride with someone else and the fact that he will follow quietly is one of the reasons we chose him. In the arena though he did everything she asked him to do under saddle---even going to the far end, trotting away from the other horse, etc.

Thats awesome! He'll lose that coat pretty quickly and be slick in no time. I love my little arab that I got recently, though I'll think twice about taking him out with my mare next time, lol. He is like a stud when she leaves him. Screams like I have never heard before and pitches a royal 2 yr old hissy fit (he's just 5).

Can't wait to see more pics of them on their adventures!

Here are the girls riding in the arena. He is doing SO well. I would not typically let them ride a new horse on the 2nd day but he did very well. We need to work on finding the best saddle/pad combo for him since he is thin. I only let her ride about 10 minutes at a nice slow walk. I know he can do more but we are taking it slow and easy.

Now will come the hard part.....integrating him into the herd

The picture has 16dd on my 22 year old (not so thin) paint gelding while 17dd follows behind on Bo, her new 23 year old Arab gelding.

Sad to say we had to put Bo down last night. He colicked and had a twisted intestine. Thankfully we were there when it happened and had the vet come out right away. I have one very devestated teenager who said she will never find another Arab as good as Bo.

The vet said it looked like we were doing everything right with him and it is impossible to know why he colicked.

Your new horse looks wonderful -- your dd is so lucky! My doc did therapeutic riding when they were small. We loved the horse dd rode -- it was about the same age as your new one. There was also a beautiful, competition level dressage horse at the stable we used. But the horse somehow knew when he had a sn kid on his back and became completely calm.

Horses are just amazing!

She really wants another arab but we need the total babysitter one and I know that many arab are still more sensitive, higher energy even later in life. The difficult hunt begins, this time with a lot less money as I put my horse budget into this horse and now the night time emergency vet call and renderer.