Menu

Biology, not AP, with evolution

My son will be in 8th next year, but is an older 8th grader, and strong in science. He will be taking a lab with others that are 8th and 9th grade, that is designed to meet the requirements of a highschool biology course. So the lab is covered, I just need the actual book work. I COULD have him take it via FLVS, but we would both rather avoid that option. I'm not a huge fan of our virtual school. So....I saw Kolbe has one, but man...pricey! Any other options? He will be taking an end of course exam at the public school at the end, wiht the idea that if he does pass it he will get highschool credit. Because of that I'd rather something that does have some quizzes/tests, etc. I think we will definitely supplement with Crash Course Biology, on youtube.

My son will be in 8th next year, but is an older 8th grader, and strong in science. He will be taking a lab with others that are 8th and 9th grade, that is designed to meet the requirements of a highschool biology course. So the lab is covered, I just need the actual book work. I COULD have him take it via FLVS, but we would both rather avoid that option. I'm not a huge fan of our virtual school. So....I saw Kolbe has one, but man...pricey! Any other options? He will be taking an end of course exam at the public school at the end, wiht the idea that if he does pass it he will get highschool credit. Because of that I'd rather something that does have some quizzes/tests, etc. I think we will definitely supplement with Crash Course Biology, on youtube.

I would find out what textbook the school is using. If he has to pass a specific end of the yr exam, you want to make sure that he covers the topics in their text. Just how much the text focuses on molecular biology and just how much it focuses on ecological systems will vary.

Thanks, good point. I DO have a scope and sequence to follow...the mom running the lab group has a daughter taking the FLVS course, and she posted the scope and sequence of that course. Not much on human physiology, quite a bit on genetics.

FLVS Scope and Sequence

Foundations of Biology

ï‚· Science processes

ï‚· Observations and inferences

ï‚· Historical frame of reference- scientists and explorers

ï‚· Theory vs. law, science vs. pseudoscience

ï‚· Technology/ Microscopes

ï‚· Properties of water

ï‚· The origin of life on Earth

ï‚· Universal genetic code

ï‚· Anaerobic respiration (honors)

ï‚· Discovery of cells

Segment 1

Life’s Origin

ï‚· Properties of Carbon Atoms

ï‚· Carbohydrates/Proteins/Lipids/Nucleic Acids

ï‚· Cell Theory

ï‚· Theory of Endosymbiosis (honors)

ï‚· Cell Membrane

ï‚· Osmosis/Diffusion

ï‚· Active Transport

ï‚· Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells

ï‚· Comparison of plant and animal cells

ï‚· Energy and ATP

ï‚· Cell Respiration

ï‚· Fermentation

ï‚· Glycolysis

ï‚· Krebs cycle/Calvin cycle

ï‚· Stages of Photosynthesis

ï‚· Light Dependent/Independent Reactions

Cell Reproduction

ï‚· Cell Cycle

ï‚· Mitosis

ï‚· Meiosis

ï‚· Binary Fission (honors)

ï‚· Cancer

ï‚· History of Genetics

ï‚· Discovery of DNA and its role in genetics and heredity

ï‚· Principles of Genetics and Heredity

ï‚· Mutations

ï‚· Biotechnology

Earth’s Diversity

ï‚· Levels of Organization

ï‚· Biotic and Abiotic Factors

ï‚· Energy in the Ecosystem

ï‚· Food Chains and Food Webs

ï‚· Climate/Climate Zones

ï‚· Biomes

ï‚· Marine Ecosystems

ï‚· Habitat/Nicheï‚· Successions

ï‚· Populations

ï‚· Threats to Biodiversity

ï‚· Air/Water Quality

ï‚· Human Population growth

ï‚· Cycling Matter

ï‚· Making Informed Decisions

ï‚· Earth's Hydrologic and Biogeochemical cycles (honors)

Segment 2

Scientific Connections

ï‚· Theories on Evolution

ï‚· Catastrophism/Gradualism/ Uniformitarianism

ï‚· Evidence of Evolution

ï‚· Artificial Selection

ï‚· Natural Selection

ï‚· Patterns of Evolution

ï‚· Primate Evolution

ï‚· Molecular Evolution (honors)

Classification and Diversity

ï‚· Classification Systems

ï‚· Introduction to the kingdoms of life

ï‚· Taxonomy of bacteria

ï‚· Viruses vs. bacteria

ï‚· Taxonomy of protists

ï‚· General characteristics of protists

ï‚· Taxonomy of Fungi

ï‚· General characteristics of fungi

ï‚· Taxonomy of plants

ï‚· Adaptations of plants

ï‚· Structure and function in plants

ï‚· Importance of plants

ï‚· Plant reproduction, pollination

ï‚· Fruits, seeds, seed dispersal

ï‚· Taxonomy of animals

ï‚· Characteristics of invertebrates

ï‚· Characteristics of vertebrates

We are using Essential Biology by Campbell, Reece, & Simon, along with the Campbell Biology web site. The site has activities, videos, vocabulary flashcards, etc. and cost $30 for the year.

I picked this title because it specifically states that it uses evolution as an organizing concept. Evolution is definitely a significant aspect of the course.

We've been very happy here with Miller & Levine (Macaw edition) this year. We bought from the publisher, following the advice somewhere here on the boards, and the got free access to teacher and student resources online. I've used the chapter tests from the website. Very helpful! (Keys provided online, too.)

We've been very happy here with Miller & Levine (Macaw edition) this year. We bought from the publisher, following the advice somewhere here on the boards, and the got free access to teacher and student resources online. I've used the chapter tests from the website. Very helpful! (Keys provided online, too.)

ooh..that might work. then at least I wouldn't have to pay for the tests/answers etc from Kolbe..hmm.

On-level is the regular edition, Foundations is more remedial, and Core is just a shorter version of the regular edition that only includes the "core" chapters; IIRC it mostly leaves out the plant & animal stuff. There used to be a TOC and extensive samples for each book online, as previews of the new edition, but I'm not sure if they're all still available.

Jackie

I have the macaw book but have only seen samples of the dragonfly version. The macaw edition was a complete redesign from the ground up; it's not the usual "update" where they change a few things, add pictures, and update links. The new edition is beautifully illustrated, and there is an extensive (~65 page) section in the back called A Visual Guide to the Diversity of Life that's really gorgeous. The science has also been updated, especially regarding evolution and cladistics. Do you have an iPad by any chance? If so, you can get the iBook version of the macaw text from iTunes for $14.99.

Jackie

I have the macaw book but have only seen samples of the dragonfly version. The macaw edition was a complete redesign from the ground up; it's not the usual "update" where they change a few things, add pictures, and update links. The new edition is beautifully illustrated, and there is an extensive (~65 page) section in the back called A Visual Guide to the Diversity of Life that's really gorgeous. The science has also been updated, especially regarding evolution and cladistics. Do you have an iPad by any chance? If so, you can get the iBook version of the macaw text from iTunes for $14.99.

Jackie

thank you