Menu

After schooling K???

It depends on what is offered at school. In my son's public school kinder the teacher does a lot of art projects, science activities, and music. They are using Everyday Math so I afterschool math with Singapore Math. Invented spelling is encouraged so I use All About Spelling with my son. I also have him read books at his reading level at home (he is a fluent reader and not always given books at his level to read).

My dd will be attending K next year in ps. They do 2 full days one week and then 3 full days the next and alternate. So her days at home she will be doing konos, phonics and math with me. I had redshirted her as it was so she will be 6 in K, and much of what they do academically she will be past. She is only going for the 1 year so I plan to keep her momentum going at home. I am putting her in for the screenings and treatments she can get there, (speech for example) without it being 1 more appt to run to, and so that I can have a couple days a week to work with the teens on high school and my ds9 with his learning issues.

Anyway I would look at what the K uses in the program, what the school schedule is like and go from there. For example, the K uses HWOT K book which dd will be done with before sept because it is what we use at home, so the teacher already said if I send her with the yellow book she can do that there, or she could do the K book again there and the yellow at home. As well the K class focuses on learning your letters and letter sounds, where dd knows those things so she will continue working through AAR at home on her nonschool days. Same with math. THe K class focuses on counting, patterns etc, and dd is starting to add so we will do her math program on her nonschool days. Academically she is nearly ready for grade 1 but maturity and speech issues etc she is definitely better off in K so we will continue to feed that academic side at home and let K be about friends and fun.

I used to do reading, a little informal math, read-alouds about history/geography/science topics, frequent trips to the Natural History museum, and piano practice. If I had it to do over, I would prioritize math more than I did.

Afterschooling K

it depends where your kid is and what little areas you want to improve.

Last year my son was in public K (plus in gifted program once a week for full day).

This is what we did for afterschooling

- math (kumon 3 grade addition and subtraction which is 3 digit addition and 3 digit subtraction with twice caring and twice borrowing sometimes)

- we did Reading (raz-kids)

- we did All About Spelling

- sometimes story writing.

We have a late-start, half-day K so are able to do most before school. This worked for DD6 now in 1st and I plan to use it with DD & DS 4.5 in K this Fall:

Reading: Finished OPGTR so on to children's lit and history

AAS: Fortunately school does teach phonics based spelling eventually but starting in K helped with free-time writing at home and being ready for Latin & French in 1st

French: L'art de Dire, CD's

SOTW: audiobooks, narration & coloring pages

Singapore Math: School uses Envision which is in the same neighborhood but with class sizes of 25-30 we are not taking any chances on math

We never quite got it together. We tried SOTW1 and it didn't take, we did some geography map stuff, part of Mr Q life science, and some MEP.

This year (Feb start) for 1st we are doing MM blue series, add and subtract 2A now then he wants fractions and we are starting informal multiplication, WWE1, sassafrass zoology + a basic encyclopedia and DVDs etc, every now and then we do a bunch of OPGTR lessons to back up what he is doing at school - he reads a couple of years ahead but hasn't much stamina yet so he only reads things like the easy zac power books to himself but will read a chapter of something harder when we do it together.

So far it is about half an hour 3 to 4 times a week plus reading.

I put this in because he only turned six two days ago so could easily be the same age as your child.

Next year for history, I am going to draw from a variety of sources and plan to have 50 art projects/activities prepped that touch on pre-history and early history. We'll scrapbook pictures of the activities in chronological order as we go making a book that can act as a keepsake, historical timeline and review. If you want, I can PM you the activity list when I'm finished planning (it may be awhile). We'll do some of the recommended readings from STOW as well but I've learned not to tie readings to the activities. It's too much. Also, the STOW audio CDs are excellent and great for driving time so I would suggest looking into those.