Menu

Winter Promise Ebooks

How long does it take them to fill these orders & why do they charge shipping?

Will they refund that money they took for shipping or will I need to request it back?

I picked up 3 of their ebooks last night & my payment cleared, but I have no emails or links from them today. There are none in my account with them either. I'm guessing they don't have it set up as an auto thing for when payments clear, which I understand, but now I'm curious how long I'll have to wait for someone to deal with it manually.

I'm still disappointed they've started offering things that can only be purchased if you buy a huge pack from them. I get why they are doing it, but if it has a value behind it as is represented by the website you'd think they could also sell it, but if you buy certain packs you get it free. Kwim?

I placed an order with them on Monday night. I received an email from them the next day confirming the order. On Wednesday I got another email saying the order was being processed. I haven't heard anything today, but I am hoping to have the ebooks soon.

I've actually never had a confirmation email from them in all the orders I've placed. I just end up calling them each time & saying, "excuse me, but did my order go through?" I find it very unsettling.

According to my account over there my order is "processing" according to my PP account the money being accept has been confirmed. We are currently on Easter Break & I really wanted to use the time to print out the IG & other things I needed. I'd email them, but that tends to be a slow process in regards to responding. I've left a message on their forum, we'll see if that does anything. I might drop them an email anyway.. *sigh*

Mine also says "processing" on their website, so I assume I will hear from them soon. I am always a little nervous when I place an order with them although I have been lucky over the years and always seem to get my items fairly quickly. I am hoping my order goes smoothly this time.

Thanks Jilly,

I did ask on their boards & after searching their website & reading the FAQ someone responded there saying "a few days" so hopefully the Easter Holidays won't hold that process up. The $10 fee does stand, all though you can waiver it but then apparently miss out on some bonus stuff, of which I don't know until the downloads come so I can read the information.

Had really hoped the ebook thing would be a little more automated especially when dealing with credit card or paypal. My husband sets websites/shopping carts up like that for people so I know it can be done & always get a little frustrated when it's not more automatic. Anyway, here's hoping we both have them SOON :D

Thanks Jilly,

I did ask on their boards & after searching their website & reading the FAQ someone responded there saying "a few days" so hopefully the Easter Holidays won't hold that process up. The $10 fee does stand, all though you can waiver it but then apparently miss out on some bonus stuff, of which I don't know until the downloads come so I can read the information.

Had really hoped the ebook thing would be a little more automated especially when dealing with credit card or paypal. My husband sets websites/shopping carts up like that for people so I know it can be done & always get a little frustrated when it's not more automatic. Anyway, here's hoping we both have them SOON :D

You may have to email them and ask for it to be sent, that's what I had to do and there was no holiday at that time.

I have used two of WP programs - several years ago- not once did I receive good or what I would call acceptable customer service. I am sad to see they still haven't figured it out. Am I to understand that you can no longer buy their "exclusives" without ordering a package? I am surprised they are still in business.

You can still just order exclusives. At least, I just did last week for AS2. It was the print format though. I got a confirmation email the next day, and I was pleasantly suprised, having never gotten any such thing from them before! Delivery was fast too, I have received all but one thing in my order already.

I don't understand shipping for Ebooks, and why they are not instant downloads. I think I would call them on the phone, instead of email and question them about this directly.

I have used two of WP programs - several years ago- not once did I receive good or what I would call acceptable customer service. I am sad to see they still haven't figured it out. Am I to understand that you can no longer buy their "exclusives" without ordering a package? I am surprised they are still in business.

Looks like you can order some items separately, but not all of them. (see the quote below from the Adventures in Sea and Sky page). I'm actually kind of confused. I do think their approach is pretty reactionary. I understand and support their desire to make their business as profitable as possible. But, for that to happen customers have to actually like you, your products AND your policies. They've set up an adversarial relationship with their customers from the get-go with the policy of not selling "easily reproducible" items (except in giant, expensive packages). So... you think I'm a thief and can't be trusted? Gee, thanks.

I don't think they know how to run a business. I don't think they have single, blessed clue about customer relations (note: customer relations goes way, way beyond being nice on the phone.). This makes me kind of sad because their curriculum looks really cool and like something I might consider for use with my kids. But I don't like them as a company, so they're out of the running before the race really start.

These penny-wise, pound-foolish policies are costing them way more money than they're saving. They're not the only small company pulling stunts like this, though. Queen's did something similarly ridiculous with their "ebook for use by one child only" policy. I think I'll stick with professional curriculum providers, thanks.

This is from the Adventures in Sea and Sky ordering page:

All of the individual resources associated with Sea & Sky are listed below, so you can learn more about a resource, order additional copies of print consumables, or build your own Sea & Sky package.

Consumables Needed for a Second Student:

The bolded resources below are available in electronic format, and if you purchased them electronically, you may make additional copies for your family and will not need additional print copies.

"Make-Your-Own" Captain's Log

Under the Sea & In the Air

Solar System Planetarium (two students could share, but most students enjoy building their own)

NOTE: Does not include items we feel could be shared easily or reproduced.

They charge shipping for e-books? That's just ... odd. ETA: OK, I couldn't believe they'd do that so I added an e-book only package to the shopping cart, set up an account and... yup. $15 shipping. For e-books. That's ridiculous!!!!

OP, I hope you get your e-books soon!

I believe once you place your actual order you can waive the shipping fee for ebooks. I think this is what I did last year when I odered from them.

I still agree they aren't the greatest company. I have been using them for years because my kids like their products, but I go into it knowing that the service isn't going to be great.

You can buy exclusives without a package, it's just they've created "extras" that you can only obtain if you get a package. So for the nifty CAW package you can only get the cute little Doodle Placemats, some ebooks related to the studies to enhance it, & something else that I can't remember right now if you buy one of the many digital sets they offer. Those items weren't up for grabs when I ordered the things I needed. Some companies seem to forget that not everyone waits until March to order things when those of us not in the N. Hemisphere start our school years earlier.

I respect their desire to keep it as an enticement, but it did disappointment that I was willing to pay $70 for a new IG & they weren't willing to either give or sell me the placemats. They aren't needed to make their programme work, but I knew my son would have enjoyed making them for his Cultural Events. Oh well, it's disappointing, but perhaps I can find something similar elsewhere. Anyone here a good artist & want to make me some?! I'd even pay you the $15 value they are listed at over at WP. ;)

As for the CS. When I ordered the very first time with them I did it via the internet because I had it sent to a US address. I was worried when I didn't get a conformational email & decided to ring them to check my order had gone through. The young lady on the phone was to the point, my things did arrive all though there was a miscommunication with the family member collecting my stuff & I had to write WP & ask where my missing item was. I spoke with Don via email & he assured me it had been shipped could I please check again. He was right, my reciever had anticipated something in a hard or soft cover book form. ;)

Another time I ordered reading schedules, which I'll never do again. It wasn't that the situation was a bad experience, it's that I feel I was overcharged. $30 for 2 pieces of paper that they TRI FOLDED into a business size envelope charged me $12 for postage & stuck a stamp on it. I didn't ask for money back on the reading schedules as they had warned me they were just a couple pieces of paper, but I did ask for my shipping back which they did promptly. They'd charged me that much because they were suppose to send it to Australia, but a stamp for this far still doesn't cost $12 so I'm kinda glad they sent it to the US address so I didn't feel more upset when it finally did come, kwim?

I think WP has a lovely product. We've loved the cores the we've used from them, which leads me to believe that Karen knows how to write & teach in a very hands on way. My children love that. She does a fantastic job of planning it all out & their new artist is amazing as well. The two family members dealing with the business side of it are probably overwhelmed & run down & could use some help. A good start might be hiring someone to help make ebook sales automated as long as money clears via cc & pp sales. I know this guy who could do that for them. ;)

I think the biggest difference between their CS & other companies CS is that theirs is all done in house. Others have it outsourced &/or have help getting things bundled & shipped where as I thought/think that WP does it all in-house. I do still think they could relieve their burdens if they would set up many things in an automated way, but as I only run an automated business I suppose that's how my mind works.

FWIW, I've placed many orders with WP & never ONCE gotten a confirmation email. It's weird. I've not gotten one via my own email address or the one associated with my paypal account. And the shipping for ebooks is supposedly for benefits explained within the welcome packet that comes with them. Something about upgrades & what-not, I don't know because I don't have my books. I will say that if they did away with some of their odd policies, fixed their CM, found a better way to distribute Cores, & automated their ebook system they'd probably have a better reputation which would encourage more people to purchase from them. ;)

In the mean time, I'm off to email them for my books! :lol: Because, when you spend over $100 for them you darn well feel like you should have them NOW.

Here's the information regarding ebooks directly from their site:

Shipping, Packaging & Digital Services Costs

Print books are subject to shipping and packaging costs. Ebooks are subject to digital services costs, which are equivalent to those paid for shipping and packaging. The digital services WinterPromise provides include delivery via download, long-term record and storage of your purchase, support in the form of additional download options in case of computer crash, fire, etc., and upgrade discount privileges you may use in the future.

Print books are subject to shipping and packaging costs. Ebooks are subject to digital services costs, which are equivalent to those paid for shipping and packaging. The digital services WinterPromise provides include delivery via download, long-term record and storage of your purchase, support in the form of additional download options in case of computer crash, fire, etc., and upgrade discount privileges you may use in the future.

I'm sorry, but I read it as blah, blah, blah, we're going to do what we want. Every other company sells downloads without a "digital service fee", even small companies run by homeschooling moms. I've been tempted a few times by Winter Promise, but treating a customer well, like they are getting service with their product is part of running a successful business- this coming from the wife of a formerly self-employed individual. Good customer service is just as vital as the product you are selling.

I'm sorry, but I read it as blah, blah, blah, we're going to do what we want. Every other company sells downloads without a "digital service fee", even small companies run by homeschooling moms. I've been tempted a few times by Winter Promise, but treating a customer well, like they are getting service with their product is part of running a successful business- this coming from the wife of a formerly self-employed individual. Good customer service is just as vital as the product you are selling.

I don't know if it has changed, but when I ordered last summer you could opt out of this and have no fee charged at all. Maybe it has changed? I don't know because I ordered a mix of ebooks and regular books.

I wish the owners of WP would work with a mentor from SCORE or a similar organization. I think they need someone objective to tell them that they're being ridiculous. Because, regardless of their true motivation, when they pull stuff like this is just makes them look like they're trying to rip off people and further damages their already bad reputation.

It all just makes me kind of sad, to be honest. They're probably really nice people but, barring dramatic changes in the way they run their business, I will never, ever be a customer.

I don't know if it has changed, but when I ordered last summer you could opt out of this and have no fee charged at all. Maybe it has changed? I don't know because I ordered a mix of ebooks and regular books.

I've never gone through their order process, but if you can opt out, then it should be clearly stated and easy to do so during checkout. The only exception would be if they're running a special or if that only applies if you order other products. Otherwise, there shouldn't be some magic code sequence of events that need to take place to not add shipping fees to digital products.

From the other post, it seems they are just rephrasing it to "digital service costs" instead of shipping. That makes it easier from a software POV, nothing to change when you buy a digital product, but it's still not good customer service.

You can opt out, apparently that info is in the download stuff, which I still don't have. I need to see if the benefits of an upgrade discount are worth opting out for or not. This is the first time I've heard of a discount for upgrades, I really wish they had that service like Sonlight does & that it was digital like Sonlight. It would be really nice, but anyway..

I will say that I had no trouble with services from then when I ordered hard books, I just wouldn't advice anyone to buy a whole core from them. I'd heard a lot of horror stories about that, especially for overseas people. So what I do is normally buy their nifty IG's & exclusives & then outsource my books to Book D. who ships to me for free. Saves me, on average 150-200 dollars, same with Sonlight. Actually more then that with both companies due to what they'd charge me in shipping, but I digress.

I think I'm just shocked by the strangeness of the whole digital process not being automated. Like several of you pointed out if people can do it on their blogs, pretty sure a curriculum company can do it. ;) Having said that I do know that not everything Ebook wise is automatic, I know sometimes it can take a few minutes to a day or so, but beyond that seems unreasonable. I haven't heard back since sending the email either. I didn't really expect to considering it's Good Friday in the US.

Holy Moly, I can't even comprehend that.

I placed an order with them on Monday night. I received an email from them the next day confirming the order. On Wednesday I got another email saying the order was being processed. I haven't heard anything today, but I am hoping to have the ebooks soon.

I recieved my ebooks this morning with information that the link had been sent prior but that sometimes they get lost in Spam. The previous link was not in Spam as we'd been keeping a close eye on that, but anyway we did get them today. Did you get yours?

Threads like this is why I've ultimately decided to go with other programs. I was going to use one of their science programs last year, but was ultimately scared away by their bad CS. I can't support a company that runs things so poorly and makes excuses for their behavior. It's not worth my money, time, or effort.

I'm pretty sure I could have a system on my blog set up by tonight that would enable you to buy an ebook from me and download it immediately.

I recieved my ebooks this morning with information that the link had been sent prior but that sometimes they get lost in Spam. The previous link was not in Spam as we'd been keeping a close eye on that, but anyway we did get them today. Did you get yours?

Would anyone be surprised to know that I haven't received anything? I guess I will need to email them.

Would anyone be surprised to know that I haven't received anything? I guess I will need to email them.

Oh yes, do email them. :( They'll probably say it went to your spam, but I doubt it did. Mind you, you're supposedly not looking for an email from WP but from You something or other. All I know is I didn't get one from either place until Don sent the links as a "resend" to me. I got a receipt this morning though. :lol:

From the WP forums -- could this possibly be more confusing?

When you purchase an e-book or an e-book package, your license allows you to download the files to two devices. The Digital License Fee upgrades that, however, and gives you the following benefits:

1. You can download the files to as many devices as your immediate family is using.

2. You receive free replacement of lost files, due to your device crashing or other crisis.

3. You have the option to update your files in the future at a significant discount.

If you choose the Digital License Fee, use the code Ebook5 at checkout. This will reduce your "Shipping" fee by $5 and the remaining fee will be the Digital License Fee ($5 - $15 depending on your purchase). If you do not wish to receive the benefits of the Digital License Fee, simply use the code NoPro at checkout. The software will reduce your "Shipping" fee by 1 penny and we will refund the rest when your order is processed. If you are also purchasing print materials, there may still be a Shipping fee, so keep that in mind.

If you order the files in advance, please be aware that the downloads have an expiration date. If this is a problem, please contact us and we will work with you to find a solution.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. We would be happy to answer them for you!

WinterPromise

To clarify, there isn't a shipping fee for digital items. There is an optional Digital Services Fee, but you can opt out of that. The online ordering software automatically charges a shipping fee on every order, but if you only order digital items and choose not to receive the Digital Services, the entire shipping charge that is automatically added will be refunded. The confusing part is that the Digital Services Fee is $5 less than what the Shipping fee would be, since it is tied to the amount of digital items ordered, and therefore the amount of your total order. If you order print AND digital items, a portion of the "Shipping Fee" would be for shipping the print items, and a portion would be for the Digital Services. Again, you can opt out of the digital portion and only pay the shipping for the print items.

I apologize if this is confusing. We wanted to have a way to offer protection of our customers' digital files, since we know things can happen. I know if I lost my Guide I would be at a total loss.

As for the expiration, you are correct in that it is only for the downloads. Once it is on your device it is yours. And I believe the update benefit has no expiration. That is a helpful benefit to those intending to re-use these programs with younger children. If a program is updated, you could choose whether to use the edition you already own, or use the updated version.

I recieved my ebooks this morning with information that the link had been sent prior but that sometimes they get lost in Spam. The previous link was not in Spam as we'd been keeping a close eye on that, but anyway we did get them today.

So, they lied. Again.

I don't understand their lack of ethics.

If they are swamped and can't keep up with their customers, they should just say so. Customers can and will forgive a lot of things, but lies are not something easily forgiven. It makes them look stupid - and it makes their customers mad.

I know I just said above that I won't be ordering from them again, but that's because I already have Equine Science here now. That is the one package that I would go ahead and take a chance on again if I hadn't already. I would only order the hard copies of the guide and the notebook from them, which is what I did. It's only two items you need from them, and I had no troubles with that order. There is nothing else comparable out there that I've seen, and for my horse-loving girls, it was and would be worth ordering from them even though I really dislike their policies.

Thanks for the honest input!

I will go look at it again and see how I can integrate it into her day.... Print only copies it sounds like though! Lol!,

From the WP forums -- could this possibly be more confusing?

When you purchase an e-book or an e-book package, your license allows you to download the files to two devices. The Digital License Fee upgrades that, however, and gives you the following benefits:

1. You can download the files to as many devices as your immediate family is using.

2. You receive free replacement of lost files, due to your device crashing or other crisis.

3. You have the option to update your files in the future at a significant discount.

If you choose the Digital License Fee, use the code Ebook5 at checkout. This will reduce your "Shipping" fee by $5 and the remaining fee will be the Digital License Fee ($5 - $15 depending on your purchase). If you do not wish to receive the benefits of the Digital License Fee, simply use the code NoPro at checkout. The software will reduce your "Shipping" fee by 1 penny and we will refund the rest when your order is processed. If you are also purchasing print materials, there may still be a Shipping fee, so keep that in mind.

If you order the files in advance, please be aware that the downloads have an expiration date. If this is a problem, please contact us and we will work with you to find a solution.

If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call. We would be happy to answer them for you!

WinterPromise

To clarify, there isn't a shipping fee for digital items. There is an optional Digital Services Fee, but you can opt out of that. The online ordering software automatically charges a shipping fee on every order, but if you only order digital items and choose not to receive the Digital Services, the entire shipping charge that is automatically added will be refunded. The confusing part is that the Digital Services Fee is $5 less than what the Shipping fee would be, since it is tied to the amount of digital items ordered, and therefore the amount of your total order. If you order print AND digital items, a portion of the "Shipping Fee" would be for shipping the print items, and a portion would be for the Digital Services. Again, you can opt out of the digital portion and only pay the shipping for the print items.

I apologize if this is confusing. We wanted to have a way to offer protection of our customers' digital files, since we know things can happen. I know if I lost my Guide I would be at a total loss.

As for the expiration, you are correct in that it is only for the downloads. Once it is on your device it is yours. And I believe the update benefit has no expiration. That is a helpful benefit to those intending to re-use these programs with younger children. If a program is updated, you could choose whether to use the edition you already own, or use the updated version.

:banghead:

I'm going to assume someone from Winter Promise will eventually read this. So, with that in mind, here goes:

Dear WP:

1. You don't get to charge me up front (and, presumably bill my credit card) with the promise to refund afterwards. That's not okay. Get better online ordering software. I have NEVER run into this kind of billing silliness before. Never.

2. Many, many companies offer free (or discounted) upgrades to all former customers without having them pay for the privilege. They do it because it makes customers like them and spend more money at their business. Stop trying to squeeze your customers for all they're worth. It does nothing to endear your customers to you and as a business endearing customers to you is your raison d'être.

3. You have to spend money to make money. You need modern, flexible billing software - even if it costs a bit up front. You need automatic downloads. If you had those two things, this thread wouldn't exist and potential customers (and their $$$$) wouldn't be driven away. You also need to stop being so generally tight-fisted. Your fear of being scammed is costing you money. (Good grief, multiple passwords for a curriculum someone has already bought?! Oy.) Seriously, if you were willing to be more open and flexible with your customers people would like you more. When people like you they buy things from you. Total win.

4. It's not that I don't care that you're a small family-owned business. I think home businesses are great. But, that's not an excuse to be anything less than professional at all times. Occasional mistakes are inevitable, but policies and procedures that force customers do the heavy lifting are anything but professional. Stop doing that. You can work with a mentor from SCORE for free. These are volunteers who absolutely love working with small businesses.

1. You don't get to charge me up front (and, presumably bill my credit card) with the promise to refund afterwards. That's not okay. Get better online ordering software. I have NEVER run into this kind of billing silliness before. Never.

[/size]

This is how the IRS works just sub credit card for paycheck! It all makes since now, they model their company after the IRS!

:banghead:

I'm going to assume someone from Winter Promise will eventually read this. So, with that in mind, here goes:

Dear WP:

2. Many, many companies offer free (or discounted) upgrades to all former customers without having them pay for the privilege. They do it because it makes customers like them and spend more money at their business. Stop trying to squeeze your customers for all they're worth. It does nothing to endear your customers to you and as a business endearing customers to you is your raison d'être.

3. You have to spend money to make money. You need modern, flexible billing software - even if it costs a bit up front. You need automatic downloads. If you had those two things, this thread wouldn't exist and potential customers (and their $$$$) wouldn't be driven away. You also need to stop being so generally tight-fisted. Your fear of being scammed is costing you money. (Good grief, multiple passwords for a curriculum someone has already bought?! Oy.) Seriously, if you were willing to be more open and flexible with your customers people would like you more. When people like you they buy things from you. Total win.

4. It's not that I don't care that you're a small family-owned business. I think home businesses are great. But, that's not an excuse to be anything less than professional at all times. Occasional mistakes are inevitable, but policies and procedures that force customers do the heavy lifting are anything but professional. Stop doing that. You can work with a mentor from SCORE for free. These are volunteers who absolutely love working with small businesses.

you should put this on their facebook. or yahoo group.

FWIW, despite the poor service in regards to the books, I've had beautiful service from them for hard copies of everything. When they did make an error they even completely refunded the money & did not ask for the product back. It's just the ebook I have issues with in regards to services, but then I expected things to be automatic too, kwim? It would not prevent me from purchasing again, I would just know to purchase in advanced & then send them an email within 48 hours. Not that I should have to, but anyway.. ;)