Menu

HELP! Math Curriculum?

jea115

HELP! I have been trying for a few weeks to narrow down a choice for our math curriculum and I'm still confused! This is my first year homeschooling so I don't have anything but what he's done in public school to go on. DS is 11 and would be starting 6th grade in ps. He's very bright (the top math student in his grade the last two years in ps), picks up math very quickly and doesn't like to waste a lot of time once he's "got" it. I was originally trying to decide between Teaching Textbooks and Singapore before and I was about to order TT today when I decided to make one last looksie around before I took the (financial) plunge. This is something I should definitely avoid in the future because now I'm not convinced TT is right for him! He did the TT placement tests and breezed right through 6 and 7, getting 100 on both placement tests. So we decided he is ready for their pre-algebra, but now after reading reviews I'm worried TT will just bore him. But from what I've read Singapore wouldn't necessarily be a good fit either because we are starting so late. I haven't really looked much into other math curriculums because those were the two I've heard the best things about but now I want to explore other possibilities before I decide.

What are some good choices for a middle schooler who learns quickly and enjoys math? Some of the other things I've heard of (but know little about) are Life of Fred, Horizons, Saxon, Rod and Staff, MUS...I'm just throwing names out here, I don't know what levels these are or how they teach. I don't want a lot of repetition, and he wouldn't like constant fill-in-the-blank workbooks.

Suggestions are very much appreciated!

Hi there-welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling!! I mean it-it's a new world for you and your whole family.

Of all of the resources that you mentioned, I only have real experience with Horizon math-it's really inexpensive but don't let the price fool you. I think your son is probably past the 6th grade level and that is the highest grade that they offer. If you go on to http://www.sonlight.com you can check out different math books. They have sample pages and if I was you, I would show him and ask his opinion.

When I started 15 years ago, Horizons math only went up to 3rd grade. Wah! After I finished with my second grader, I called & begged them to produce more but had to switch to Abeka. There was not as much repetition with Abeka, and I really like the Horizon's style of repetition; not the boring, (in my humble opinion) over-kill Saxon repetition.

My son, who did graduate with an astrophysics degree did use Saxon...snore.

(opps-sorry) So, I did use Saxon for years. Obviously, it worked for him-just not me. I saw all those problems and just froze, mentally.

Horizon's repetition is smart. They introduce a new concept, you work on it for two weeks (not only that but they are doing 5-10 problems of that type for two weeks), then they drop it for two weeks and do it for a couple of lessons and then drop it again for two months. It really instills retention.

But, you said your son is at the top of his class; what math did they use? You can see what concepts he has down and what is still left to master. I ended up skipping 3 of my children either half-grades in math, or full years. But I hate (we cannot) waste money, so I try to be slow in my picks, too.

When one was in 6th grade we started him in a Pre-Algebra. I love the program but hardly anyone has heard of it. It is called the University of Chicago School of Mathematics Project "Transition Math". There are projects that are geared for classrooms but also some great ind. projects that you can do together. It's not just math problems. There are real world examples. It is non-Christian. It is published by Scott Foresman.

He then followed (for two years) with the next book in the series, which is their Algebra. We just had him tested, and he can enter AP Algebra II at the CC, near here. We just went slow and steady; making sure he didn't gloss over anything, but also didn't waste his time and create frustration with forcing him to do what he already knew.

I also highly recommend: The Key to series. (Key to Fraction, Key to Measurements, Key To Algebra, Key to Geometry) You can pick and chose. When we struggled with fractions I would just go get one or two of the different little booklets and reinforce the concept. I have used them every year for all 14 years, with all four children. Sorry to be so blabber-y, but I love math. I think once you find what works for your son, you will be so relieved and so will he.

One of our family sayings: Math is just like brushing your teeth, sometimes you just don't feel like it, but you have to anyway, everyday.

God bless you.

My children are younger, but of the options you've given I'd choose MUS. Each level is pretty much self explanatory (the DVD's won't bore your ds to tears like some do). The only think that would be a real learning curve (besides the actual math) in the program would be how to use the blocks... which is just really a memorization thing. On their web site you can have him do both the placement test and worksheet generator to see if it's something that would fit the way he learns.

My oldest (who is just 8) was struggling in math and MUS just clicked for him. After the first 2 lessons he was able to breeze through a level in weeks rather then waisting months on stuff he already knew. I think it's great for children who both struggle and soar for this very reason... It's so easy to see if they have the concept mastered... and once it's mastered you just move on. No need for the repetition if they have it... but plenty of rep. if they need it.

I wouldn't say that it's for every one though so be sure and go to their site and have your ds "test" it out... also they have a free demo you can get to see what the DVDs are like. Math U See

HELP! I don't want a lot of repetition, and he wouldn't like constant fill-in-the-blank workbooks.

Suggestions are very much appreciated!

I suggest that you peruse te high school board for pre-alg and alg1 suggestions. One that is mentioned frequently as a transition year to review prior to Alg is Lial's Basic College Math.

HTH-

Mandy

A boy your son's age would probably enjoy Life of Fred. In your position, I think I would have him start with the pre-algebra (Fractions & Decimals) books. Now, we haven't used those particular books, as we were already doing Singapore, but that's where I'd start with an already 11yo. After that, he'll probably be all set to start algebra. :)

Karen

Welcome to homeschooling!

I have two boys, ages 8 1/2 and 10, who are gifted in math, and I am familiar with most of the texts mentioned. For your son, I would recommend Lial's Basic College Mathematics supplemented with Life of Fred Decimals and Percents. Life of Fred is only $20, and the Lial's text can be found for under $20 at half.com. After these two books, which are engaging and well-written, your son will be ready for Algebra. For additional challenge, you can also consider consider supplementing with Singapore 5 or 6 Challenging World Problems, or Zaccarro's Challenge Math.

Good luck with your new adventure!