Menu

Hit a deer and a vent I guess

MomtoCandJ

I hit a deer about 4 miles from home. Good news is it didn't do a whole lot of damage to the car but I do need a new headlight assembly because ford has decided to not let you just replace the lens and my hood is a little dented. Why can't I buy just the lens??? Why must I replace the whole stinking thing???? Urgggg well also good thing dh was behind me in his truck with dd, we did salvage the deer for meat too

We hit one a few weeks back. It stinks, we have to get a new light assembly too... and a deer guard! Probably going to use our whole stupid deductible. We're going to call junk yards, but since we'll use our insurance it's likely to be better to just go to a dealer and get the warrantied parts & work.

Isn't it crazy how they'll just run right out in front of you? Hey, at least it wasn't a moose- that would be a whole new car!

We call that road hunting and we hate it here too!

My boys have a theory about deer. They believe the deer entertain themselves with danger seeking behavior. Essentially, they stand around in groups on the edge of roads and dare each other to jump in front of cars. It's sort of like a game of chicken and they bet the car will swerve in time. If the deer lives, he/she is awarded 1 pt. for flipping out the driver of an old, worn out beater car/truck, 2 pt. for a nicer sedan, 3 pts. for a mini-van, 4 pts. for a pick-up truck and bonus 5 pts. if it has a new paint job or detailing, 5 pts. for a commercial vehicle, 6 pts. for a two door American brand sports car, 10 pts. for an expensive foreign model such as BMW, Audi, etc. 20 pts. for a restored, vintage model, 25 pts. for a restored car older than 1935, and 50 pts. for a Porsche, Jaguar, Astin Martin, Lambourgini, Ferrari, etc. 100 pts. if the previously mentioned high end foreign sports cars incur any paint job damage, and an automatic "YOU WIN" for the deer that forces same car into the ditch and the deer lives to tell about it. The ultimate goal of all time being the opportunity to lead a deer gang across the road in time to cause tire screeching from a presidential motorcade. Since the President tends to eschew driving around rural Michigan for kicks, this is the deer equivalent to going fishing off the pier and reeling in a blue whale!

Later, back in the herd, they all stand around telling their whomper "big fish" stories. "Yah, Bill, well one time I put a whole herd of Trans-Ams off the road in a single jump. Ran into the woods and laughed my butt off!"

That's the boys' theory. I suppose I should be worried about what they spend their time thinking about, right!

Faith

I grew up in Africa. We had Zebra crossings and we called them Zebra crossings!

Srsly. Some places have Zebra crossings. See, like this:

crosswalkstyles.jpg.png

Why can't there be deer crossings in safe places. Like next to the school crossings???

We use Deer/Dog whistles on our cars. We live in areas with lots of deers and never have had any trouble with hitting deers or dogs. My sister got a new car and didn't have them and a deer jumped out and hit the car. So we are big believers in deer whistles. They cost a lot less than fixing cars.

I grew up in Africa. We had Zebra crossings and we called them Zebra crossings!

And the Zebras always crossed on the striped diagonal lines, yes?

See! If zebras in Africa can do it, why can't deer in the good ol' U S of A!!

When I was a kid my mom hit a big doe in NE Ohio. Well, I think it was more the doe hit us, there was a huge dent in the side of the hood. Then, as we filling out the report with the Sheriff the doe got up and ran off, so we didn't even get the meat either. We were all pretty ticked.

A few days later on the way home my dad hit a finch. Took out a headlight. That was a rough visit to grandma's house.

ETA: To the OP - it could be worse. :o

I am interested in this topic because there are over 100,000 deer-vehicle crashes in PA every year. I've recently read a lot about them because we want to minimize the risk, and from what I've read, there is very little that an individual person can do, besides keep a sharp eye out for them, which is not very effective.

I think deer are pretty stupid animals. When my DD goes up to the pasture behind our house in the evening, she just sits on the ground and has her alone time. Half the time -- no kidding, half! -- groups of deer come up to within a few feet of her. The largest group has been 7 deer. I had to research whether they were dangerous -- and they can be -- and now she has to leave when the deer arrive. These are not deer who have become habituated to people. Most of the people around here plan on killing and eating them.

Also, in some states (PA included), it is illegal to remove the deer that was killed by your car, and eventually eat it. There are reasons for that, but I didn't research them. There went my great idea for feeding the homeless! Over 100,000 deer hit a year; boy, that's a lot of venison.

In summary, there is no firm evidence that whistles are effective and considerable evidence that they are not. In the only high-quality study (Romin and Dalton, 1992), deer were not affected by whistles. It is unclear whether deer can hear whistles, whether whistle noise is covered by traffic noise, orwhether deer become accustomed to whistle noise over time. In the absence of any solid studies that whistles are effective, they cannot be recommended."

http://www.rockville...DeerCrashes.pdf

If you are looking for a specific car part and don't want to buy everything attached to it, too, call an independent body shop (not connected to a dealer or manufacturer). They know how to find the parts at junk yards.

The reason you have to replace the whole thing is that the companies that manufacture and repair the vehicles make more money that way. It is an ongoing problem with our Mercury, too, which is how I know about the body shop - junk yard connection.

I am interested in this topic because there are over 100,000 deer-vehicle crashes in PA every year. I've recently read a lot about them because we want to minimize the risk, and from what I've read, there is very little that an individual person can do, besides keep a sharp eye out for them, which is not very effective.

I think deer are pretty stupid animals. When my DD goes up to the pasture behind our house in the evening, she just sits on the ground and has her alone time. Half the time -- no kidding, half! -- groups of deer come up to within a few feet of her. The largest group has been 7 deer. I had to research whether they were dangerous -- and they can be -- and now she has to leave when the deer arrive. These are not deer who have become habituated to people. Most of the people around here plan on killing and eating them.

Also, in some states (PA included), it is illegal to remove the deer that was killed by your car, and eventually eat it. There are reasons for that, but I didn't research them. There went my great idea for feeding the homeless! Over 100,000 deer hit a year; boy, that's a lot of venison.

They ARE incredibly stupid. We regularly have herds of a dozen or more come through our yard. Fawns bed down in my dogs' area every spring. I would not eat a deer from my neighborhood for fear of disease. They're disgusting looking and often deformed and/or injured (from cars!)

I'm glad no one in your family was hurt. I'm glad you didn't waste the meat. I'm sorry about your vehicle.

I'm also sorry for the deer, though. What a painful way for any living creature to die. Dogs and cats get hit by cars, too, and we don't call them stupid and joke about it. :(

Most pets are hit by people going too fast I think. I was already slowing down when I hit the deer, I was slowing down for a stop light and to turn on my road. Dh said it was a good thing I was already slowing down because I hadn't the deer would have most likely went through my windsheild :(

DMIL literally had a deer hit her car, she was parked in her driveway when a deer ran into the side of it. It did some damage to the driver door and front quarter panel. So yeah deer are not that smart.

Most pets are hit by people going too fast I think. I was already slowing down when I hit the deer, I was slowing down for a stop light and to turn on my road. Dh said it was a good thing I was already slowing down because I hadn't the deer would have most likely went through my windsheild :(

DMIL literally had a deer hit her car, she was parked in her driveway when a deer ran into the side of it. It did some damage to the driver door and front quarter panel. So yeah deer are not that smart.

Oh, I didn't mean I thought the accident was your fault! I just didn't think it was respectful or kind to refer to deer as stupid. I think that as prey animals, they are easily startled and perhaps don't think clearly when panicked.

Deer are known for jumping in front of cars or standing there looking while one is coming right at them. Most other animals have the sense to avoid a moving vehicle but deer seem intent on being hit.

I realize there's some sort of natural explanation for it, but smart ain't it.

Deer cause so many injuries and so much property damage, it is understandable to be frustrated by them.

Oh, I didn't mean I thought the accident was your fault! I just didn't think it was respectful or kind to refer to deer as stupid. I think that as prey animals, they are easily startled and perhaps don't think clearly when panicked.

In all fairness to deer, this thread has also commented on the stupidity of humans.

Slightly off topic, but related:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4om5UT5iXY[/media]

We live in an area where it is pretty common to hit both deer and elk. We have lived here 7+ years, and neither DH or I have hit one. Last September, though, within 2 days I had 2 near misses where it seemed like the deer were literally charging my car! We were joking that the deer were out to get us now. One day later we were down in the city, on a typical residential street, and 4 deer charged right in front of the car!

I think they really were out to get us...my nerves were shot anyway!

ETA, I kind of agree with Mercy, though, feel sorry for the deer. Smart or not, we are the ones who moved into their areas, not the other way around.

In many places, it isn't a matter of people moving into the area. It is a matter of no one hunting the deer anymore, whether because the area is too populated or because there are a lot less people hunting these days than many years ago. In many areas where there are too many deer, the towns and communities have been there for over 200 years. So, no, it isn't people moving in there. It is a matter of less people hunting, more available food- as more people have money to garden and landscape their properties with lovely shrubs and flowers and other things that the deer like to eat, and lack of predators. Now in terms of predators, the mountain lions are spreading throughout the US to follow where the deer are. But deer are not a problem everywhere. Here in Alabama, where hunting is still very popular, there is no deer problem. On the other hand, in Northern VA, there is a huge deer problem though not as bad as areas like Valley Forge,. We saw huge deer herds there and the park rangers told us that there were way, way too many deer in the area and they were eating everything and causing lots of automobile crashes.

I am just really happy that at least here in my woods I have no deer to worry about. OTOH, I still have squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits, along with the new additions of armadillos and ground hogs.

Those stinking mailboxes just love to jump out at you, especially if your backing up

I'm blaming it on my 6yo who was sticking her palm leaf in my face when I was driving. :/

Or it coulda been the ear infection (right side only) that had me off kilter.

Or maybe it was because I was looking out for deer . . . .

Hunting is HUGELY popular here. In fact, public school is out for the first day of deer season, and dh usually has 2-3 college students show up that day. But deer are a huge problem. They even come in town to get hit by cars. Lol I think it's because we have corn everywhere around here but only human predators. Sometimes people whine about coyotes, and there have been reported mountain lion sightings, but I would honestly welcome more to cull the overpopulation. It's unhealthy.

Sorry, OP. stupid new cars. We once hit a deer a mile inside the Kansas border. We were driving a mountaineer and I wouldn't have noticed if dh didn't yell. I was knitting. ;). That vehicle is a beast. The deer ran out and it's head hit the front driver side and it swung the body back into the driver side. The vehicle was totaled after that but still driveable. There was blood all over the car. When the cops went back (1 mile down the interstate), it was gone. Someone must've grabbed it!

We were driving a mountaineer and I wouldn't have noticed if dh didn't yell. I was knitting. ;). That vehicle is a beast.

We were driving a monster (9 seater!) suburban from 2002, new to us this year.

In our accident the crazy, stupid, ridiculous animal ran to the side of the road, dh slowed, it turned and began to trot off. Then, like a bad cartoon, it literally flipped around and leapt directly in front of us faster than we thought it could move. There was no time to do anything, and I'm certain it was instant & painless for the animal. Whether all deer are stupid is perhaps up for debate, but this one was a suicidal maniac.

We felt a bump, and then a few more. The kids literally did not look up from their video and I was thankful they had it on, since we are big meanies who limit screens even in the car.

We were probably going 45 or 50, having slowed from 70, and it was a direct hit. Had we not been driving the tank, it could have been bad.

Found all three parts at a local yard for $150 :) only thing is the color of the hood won't match but the nice lady also told me where I can get some spray paint that matches my car, not sure how much I would need but foe an 8 oz can it will be 7.49 :) heck wonder if I could just repaint all my other spots too? Lots of scratches and little dings.

Another vent.... Why can't people hit my car when I'm in it so I can at least get them to fix it??? Every time someone hits my car I'm no where near it. Then they just drive off :( or open thier door with care??? I have at least three different colored dents in my driver side door from such people

Another vent.... Why can't people hit my car when I'm in it so I can at least get them to fix it??? Every time someone hits my car I'm no where near it. Then they just drive off :( or open thier door with care??? I have at least three different colored dents in my driver side door from such people

Here's my vent. I did the right thing and went back after hitting the mailbox. I didn't have money on me, but I promised to come back and pay them for the cost of a new mailbox and installation. They insisted on calling the cops. The cop said he "had" to cite me (for failure to control) in order to make sure the insurance would pay. Then (after waiting around for the cops to do their thing for like an hour) I had to go call the insurance company and get that all set up. Needless to say, my insurance rates will skyrocket (I've been otherwise a safe driver). Tomorrow I have to go get the police report and send it to the insurance company. I also have a court date and will probably have to pay a fine and costs. Not to mention replacing my own broken windshield and antenna. All of this will involve taking off work etc. Meanwhile the owners said, "we were about to replace that mailbox anyway." So it's not like I totally put them out. Why couldn't they just let me pay them and be done with it?

If I'd known how this was going to go down, I might not have gone back right away, instead finding some other way of getting them the money to make them whole.