Menu

Question about divorce and taxes...

Michelle My Bell

If my ex and I have 4 eligible children to claim (oldest is 18), all of them live with me 100% of the time, I claim 3 (max you can claim on taxes) can he claim the 4th on his taxes? I ask because we are working on our dissolution and my aunt, a lawyer put the following in the forms before she refused to help us any longer. I am confused if this is even legal...

Tax Deduction:

The mother shall be entitled to the tax deduction for the three youngest minor children in all years beginning with 2012.

The Father shall be entitled to the tax deduction for the two eldest children in all years beginning with 2012. Father’s right to claims said minor children shall be contingent upon him being substantially current in his child support obligation.

Yes, that is legal. And he can still claim your 18yo if she qualifies as a dependent.

I have 4 children who live with me 100% of the time. Two oldest get visits with my ex. Ex claims one of them each year.

And the contingency about paying child support to claim one is a good idea. That's not a prerequisite otherwise.

But it is not true that the maximum number of children you can claim is 3... you can claim however many dependents you actually have.

That is perfectly legal but you said you have four eligible children and what you wrote says you claim the three youngest and he claims the two oldest (5 total)?

Assuming you meant 5 kids total that would work fine. (but technically, if they live with you 181 days or more you get to claim them all per IRS rules, there is no argument he could make to win that if you decide you want to do it that way instead of giving him some of the deductions).

Assuming you meant 5 kids total that would work fine. (but technically, if they live with you 181 days or more you get to claim them all per IRS rules, there is no argument he could make to win that if you decide you want to do it that way instead of giving him some of the deductions).

Unless there is a court-ordered agreement, which it seems is what the OP is trying to come up with.

Right, but my point is that she is legally entitled to claim all 5 unless she wants to be nice and grant him a deduction (or more) in the final agreement. She certainly doesn't have to and there is nothing he could do about it.