Menu

adjusting ... adjusting .. adjusting

Luanne

Neither my daughter nor myself deals well with change. I'm glad she got a job finally, but I will be even more glad when things even out a bit. First, she worked 5 weeks doing a remodel at a store 18.5 miles from our home and was working from 9 pm to 6 am. I drive her and it totalled 74 miles every day she worked. Now she is working 8 hours on Sat (8:30 am to 5:30 pm), but is working 5 pm to 9 pm during the week. She isn't working on Sunday at least. Tonight is her second night of 5 to 9. It has been a big adjustment. I guess it would have helped if we hadn't got sick in the middle of all this.

Believe me when I tell you I feel your pain! My daughter started off this academic year with an informal internship at a dance studio. The studio is about 20 miles from our house, but is only three or four miles from the studio at which my son takes his classes. She was supposed to work the front desk three afternoons a week and take a dance class each evening she worked.

Within a few weeks, she was doing four shifts a week, rather than three, and taking a class on each of the four evenings.

Then, she got cast in a show that rehearsed at the community college about midway between our home and the dance studio, with rehearsals often happening immediately after her shift or after one of the classes.

Then, she got a paying job at a resort/hotel near the theme parks, which is 20 miles from our house, in a different direction from the dance studio, making it a 30-mile drive from there.

For a few weeks, she was doing training at the hotel during the mornings, going directly from there to the dance studio and from there to rehearsals at the college. (Did I mention she doesn't drive yet, meaning I was transporting her from place to place?) Meanwhile, my son has continued to dance three or four days per week (studio near her dance studio), attend choir rehearsals (church near home) and volunteer about once a week at the science museum (also close to home).

She was exhausted and cranky. I was exhausted, cranky and resentful that no one seemed even to notice how hard I was trying to keep up with everyone else's stuff . . .

It did get better, though. The show opened, completed its run and closed, and my daughter opted not to audition for anything else for the next "cycle," giving herself a few weeks off from auditions and rehearsals. My son's dance team finished choreographing and rehearsing their competition number and are now having fewer rehearsals. My daughter has settled into more of a routine at her paying job. My husband arranged his schedule at work so that he can help out by driving her to or from work a couple of days a week.

It's still hectic sometimes, but it's more manageable. I hope you guys find your rhythm soon, too!

That's alot of driving. But how is she doing in the job? Does she like it? Does it suit her? Is she used to it now?

She actually loves the job. She was telling me that earlier today. She has taken to it very well.

Thanks for asking. :)