Menu

What kind of electronic device do I need for my situation-phone or tablet?

HappyGrace

I have a laptop, but now that I'm on Evernote (free online information storage area and organizational app for stuff like lists,etc-it syncs to all devices), I'd like to be able to access it easily wherever I am, so I need something I can carry around in a purse. If I'm in the grocery and forget an ingredient, I want a device I can use to access my recipes in Evernote. Also, I want to be able to, for example, take pictures of a wallpaper in a lobby I like to store it in Evernote to remember it for a living room remodel, etc. Evernote also allows you to scan in paper notes-so all my documents and so on will be in there so I can access them (receipts, estimates, documents, etc) I want to be able to access my Google calendar at all times.

I have a Tracphone and RARELY use it. I don't need to text.

I'm basically trying to transfer most of my life (calendar, notes to self, lists, etc) from paper to digital and have it w/ me all the time. Would I be best off to get a Kindle Fire or a smartphone of some kind? Or something else? I need the MOST economical option possible please! (or dh will not go for it since he just bought me a laptop for Christmas and now two months later I've hit upon this idea of digitalizing my life :))

I think a phone might be kind of small for me to see well, so I guess I'm leaning toward a small tablet of some type.

Also-would I need the Kindle Fire with 4G or would just the wireless model be ok for what I need? I can access my stuff in Evernote without web access.

Offline access for Evernote requires internet - i think. https://evernote.com/premium/

A phone is going to be a higher monthly charge, you can get tablet plans by the month and not on contract.

The kindles don't have rear facing cameras - so taking pictures of paper is going to be rough. I carried my iPad one for a long time every time I left the house - it didn't' bother me size wise. I have an iPhone now so that is my portable device - and yes, I struggle reading the tiny screen sometimes! :p

I'm not sure if the Galaxy has a rear camera - i think it does, so look at that. Or the Samsung note maybe?

Personally? I'd say a 4g iPad mini :D

I recently got the Samsung Note 2 and adore it. It's sometimes referred to as a "phablet" because it's the best of both worlds. Portable, camera that is both front and rear facing, an S pen that allows you to write notes on your screen, and of course all the options for apps like Evernote. It's especially known for its organizational features. Can't go wrong with this crossover device!

Great-I will look into the Samsung Galaxy 2 and Note 2. What do I get-some type of monthly service w/ that? Verizon? AT+T? I have NO clue on this stuff!

ETA: Wait, what!? I just looked at Verizon plans for the Note 2 and it's $90 per month? That's outrageous! WAY out of our budget. I can't afford monthly fees like that at all or even close to it. :(

Is the note a phone too?

The iPad you can sign up on the device and go month to month, no contract. I am not sure of the current pricing plans- but I think you can get that on other devices provided you pay full price for the device. There used to be a $15-20 a month plan with ATT month to month, it was a small amount of data.

The data is the expensive part :(