Menu

Venting

Kaleidoscope

I was raked over the coals today for feeding my kids too many sweets this week. Never mind we had a bday this week and 2 parties so yes, they had more sweets than normal. But evidentially my bad parenting caused my kids to act like monsters all day Today. They have been fine every other day and fine so far this evening but from noon till 5 the sugar made then crazy.

Soooo I decided the only logical thing to do was go buy chocolate coins to hide for them to find for St Patricks day. Cuz obviously I've already failed miserably what's one more day of sweets.

Only Wolf gets to comment about our children's diets. Others, including the one that leaves religious tracts in our home, informing me that I'm condemning us all to Hell b/c I feed them meat, get ignored.

:huh:

I've not heard that one.

Seems unless you are dropping them off at Granny's all sugared up, it's nobody's business what you feed them.

You know what's weird? A six-year-old who won't eat sugar any more. What do I do with her? (And how can I transfer this interesting trait to her sister, the sugar fiend?)

Well it was the other parent actually... it was his day with the kids and I guess he couldn't handle it. He was calling fuming threatening to bring them home within 15 minutes of picking them up and brought them home an hour early.

I don't know what I'd do with a 6 year old who wouldn't eat sugar. I've never met such a creature!

Well it was the other parent actually... it was his day with the kids and I guess he couldn't handle it. He was calling fuming threatening to bring them home within 15 minutes of picking them up and brought them home an hour early.

I believe the only appropriate response to this kind of attitude is to give him a big wide smile while you say, "Suck it up and deal with it." :glare:

Vent away -- I don't blame you a bit for being annoyed!!!

I'm sorry, but it appears he needs to grow the fudge up and be an adult. If HIS kids are hyper from sugar, then take

them to the park and play with them. *inserteyerollhere*

I don't know what I'd do with a 6 year old who wouldn't eat sugar. I've never met such a creature!

Uh, his kids. Deal.

Yup, he just needs to man up and deal. I think I'd be going somewhere the next time it was his turn to be with the kids, and I wouldn't come home until 5 minutes before the designated drop-off time. :grouphug:

More I think about this, madder I get.

What msg does this send to the kids?! That if they're not perfect, Daddy will dump them?

GRRRRRR!!

Oh I suspect that was the message he wanted to send them. And it worked. They straightened up so he kept them out till they annoyed him again then he brought them home early. It's not a good situation. Not fun to be on the fun listening to the person taking care of your children talking and acting the way he was and hearing your kids in the background upset. I don't like this one little bit. BUT at least they get to come home and know they are safe, loved, and accepted. It beats dealing with the other side 24/7 (at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

I'm sorry, but it appears he needs to grow the fudge up and be an adult. If HIS kids are hyper from sugar, then take

them to the park and play with them. *inserteyerollhere*

But it was only in the 70s today and absolutely beautiful! Why would he want to go to the park and play????? What does that even mean? No no, so much better to sit through a 3 hour movie that 2 of them didn't even want to see, have no snacks, then go to the toy store where they could beg for toys and he could tell them to have me buy it all for them. Grrrrrrrrr!

I guess I had a little more venting to do.

Can't wait to go to church tomorrow and watch him walk around like Mr. Nice Guy and sit on the same pew with us. I just love this phase! NOT.

What msg does this send to the kids?! That if they're not perfect, Daddy will dump them?

GRRRRRR!!

Well, of course I wasn't there, but I've been tempted to dump my kids when sugar has been a factor.

:leaving:

Some kids really do get crazy on sugar, and there are times and places where that really is a problem. There have been times when I've gotten fed up and abandoned plans over sugar crazies. (Perhaps I shouldn't admit this?)

My kids have "aunties" who have sugared them up against my wishes, and at times I've told them that they are free to take my kids off my hands while the sugar gets worked off. And I don't feel a bit guilty about it. You want to indulge the little darlings, you deal with the aftermath.

ETA: If this is in a divorce situation, obviously the above does not apply. Sounds like Dad should have chosen something more kid-friendly than a movie to do with the kids.

GRRRRRR!!

Growing up, this happened many, many times to friends with divorced parents. It did not make for good relationships when the kids grew into adulthood.

Well, of course I wasn't there, but I've been tempted to dump my kids when sugar has been a factor.

Some kids really do get crazy on sugar, and there are times and places where that really is a problem. There have been times when I've gotten fed up and abandoned plans over sugar crazies. (Perhaps I shouldn't admit this?)

My kids have "aunties" who have sugared them up against my wishes, and at times I've told them that they are free to take my kids off my hands while the sugar gets worked off. And I don't feel a bit guilty about it. You want to indulge the little darlings, you deal with the aftermath.

ETA: If this is in a divorce situation, obviously the above does not apply. Sounds like Dad should have chosen something more kid-friendly than a movie to do with the kids.

Oh yes, some do. And I've changed plans when the kids behavior was too off the wall. If it was intentional I even let them know I was canceling because of them. Other times I just altered plans without letting them know because I didn't want to make them feel bad.

But that wasn't the case this time. The kids were fine. Maybe not everything was in their favor, maybe it wasn't their best day ever, but I had no problems with them before or after their time with dad.

But as a parent, you change your plans, and deal. You don't just dump them. And if it wasn't sugar, and just kids being kids? Or what happens if they get sick? Dad dumps and runs, rather than do the hard work of parenting?

Gah. Sorry, just ticks me off, the idea that someone abdicates parenting *their* children b/c their behaviour isn't exactly right.

This is probably controversial BUT I'm posting the link anyway, because I want the OP to know, that it was probably the event(s) that made them hyper along with being with the parent they don't live with anymore, yada yada yada, and not the sugar.

http://www.mindthesciencegap.org/2012/10/01/why-arent-my-kids-hyper-after-binging-on-sugar/

In my own home, my ds7 can eat cookies, shakes, clear sodas, chocolate, etc. until the cows come home and not once is he hyper - however, he eats one food-colored popsicle or eats MnM's, and he is bouncing off the walls like the tasmanian devil on crack - and has the attitude to match.

So, IMHO, leave the coins EVERYWHERE! and have lots of fun!

But as a parent, you change your plans, and deal. You don't just dump them. And if it wasn't sugar, and just kids being kids? Or what happens if they get sick? Dad dumps and runs, rather than do the hard work of parenting?

Gah. Sorry, just ticks me off, the idea that someone abdicates parenting *their* children b/c their behaviour isn't exactly right.

Yeah, Dad should have stuck out the time, although if they really were behaving badly, I see nothing wrong with stopping the festivities and sitting somewhere in time-out or doing a chore or something. If Dad just indulged it, it would be the same every time, which isn't sustainable either.

This is one nice thing about being a sole parent. Yes, it's all on me, but at least I know that going in. And my kids don't have to be affected by someone who forgets how to be an adult.

I am all for him appropriately disciplining the children. I don't at all mind consequences for bad behavior. I don't let the kids act up. Ad I dot doubt the one child acting up needed to be dealt with. Though, I do think it is stress related. I also think her cognitive and social issues are things e needs to keep in mind when he deals with her.

I also think things are going to get much worse. And I hate that. Hate it for the kids and for their dad and for me.

Yes actually.... that is what does happen.

In fact, I was at the hospital with DD2 for a 24 hour EEG, and the school called that DD3 had a temp and needed to be picked up. He was off the whole day - but made the oldest change her plans to come home and babysit the sick child because he didn't want her germs.

He cancels regularly if they have any glimpses of being sick....

And it upsets them, but hey, as long as he doesn't get the germ exposure it is all good. :glare:

I"m sorry.... :grouphug:

I wish I had magic, "your gut instinct will be wrong" input - so I will just hope you are wrong in the long run.

Things have continued to escalate today so I don't think things will be improving any time soon. And to be honest I don't know what improving would look like. Having the extent of the problem out in the open might be the best thing that could happen in the long run. I'm very thankful for new locks and an alarm system tonight.