Menu

March Financial Accountability Week 3 (March 15-March 21)

Halcyon

Welcome to a new week! Last week was rough. Emergency medical treatment for DS sigh. And the week before we bought a new t.v. This is going to be a month where extra does NOT go into savings.....

3/15 $100 on clothing at Shade. Big sale and I needed dresses for work.

Sorry I haven't updated with anything. I haven't spent much money that wasn't necessary. I just wish there wasn't so much that was necessary! :laugh: I'm holding steady on groceries, clothing...even books! I have bought no books since my last reported binge. I scooped armloads of library books, so that has helped. I did just pay an annual car insurance premium on 3 autos. Yowzers. I'll need some groceries this weekend, but mostly just replenishing produce and the never-ending milk. And dog food. I'll be going to Writer's Circle tomorrow...we hold it at a B&N. Is that dangerous or WHAT?! A bunch of writers meeting at a huge book emporium. Serious wallet trap material. I should probably leave my purse at home entirely and just take 2 dollars and my driver's license. :leaving:

Can I join? With the summer looming and financial aid dwindling I'm feeling more need than ever for financial accountability. This week I spent more than I probably should have on Ostara/Easter basket goodies and new outfits for the kids. We also went on a playdate at a friend's who lives 25 mi. away (so a 50 mi. round trip). We're way over budget on gas this semester, while our bus passes (paid for at the beginning of the year) languish. This is partly DH's doing, partly mine, and partly how much the price of gas went up over the last few months. Our one vehicle gets 21 mpg at the best of times, the other about 10-11.

I also got a haircut, but I was WAY overdue for that.

Next week I'll be sinking about $300 on yard maintenance--the weeds have gotten crazy out of hand again. It's one of those issues that makes me resent having to rent; if this was MY house I'd have fixed the landscaping so that it's not quite so attractive to the weeds and therefore lower maintenance ("desert landscaping" is low maintenance; a scrap of actual desert for your front yard is not).

On the up side, at mid-month we still have almost half our SNAP money left and I haven't gone WIC shopping yet either.

Week 1:

3/1 -- $64 birthday dinner

3/2 -- $232 mostly groceries ($20 was supplies for school, $50ish was household/toiletries)

3/3 -- $59 ear piercing (my 11 yo dd's birthday present), $56 clothes for DH, $15 medicine, $5 coffee/hot chocolate at church, $20 American girl braces (my 7 yo is getting braces next week -- I splurged and purchased the braces stickers/headgear/retainer kit for her doll), $50 waterpik (for aforementioned new braces), $22 picture frames

3/4 -- $38 gas

3/5 -- $0 snowstorm so we're staying home & saving money!

3/6 -- $45 membership to Sam's Club (groupon deal that includes a $20 gift card and almost $20 in food coupons)

3/7 -- $29 eating out (DH convinced me, not that it took much)

Week 2:

3/8 -- $0

3/9 -- $280 garage door repair

3/10 -- $176 groceries

3/11 -- $333 downpayment on braces, $15 McD's before braces on, $6 shakes after braces on

3/12 -- $11 ebay purchases (toys for youngest) -- I really need to stay off of ebay.

3/13 -- $10 Ranger Rick subscription, $14 outfit for oldest -- this needs to go back, it's too big, but we may just switch it for a smaller size

3/14 -- $28 groceries & household, $122 kids' consignment sale (split between gifts/school software/clothes)

Week 3:

3/15 -- $22 for puzzles & 2 jackets at the kids' consignment sale -- the kids convinced me they NEEDED puzzles. Dd had a class in "the city", so I hit the shops while waiting around for her -- $6 for Advil (I'm catching a cold), $48 new summer clothes for me at thrift shop (I'm losing weight and NOTHING fit and we are leaving for FL in 4 weeks!), $70 new workout shoes & a tablecloth, both of which were on sale, $11 dinner (healthy & yummy fish dinner)

3/16 -- DH is currently getting new tires on his car -- I don't even want to know how much this is costing!

Ah. Here is my update. Yes, I did buy books while at the Writer's Circle. I don't think I can actually help it. :laugh: I also wrote down 3 other book names that I'm sure will eventually make it into my hoard!

Anyway...

Food Groceries: 489.71 this month

Non-Food Groceries: 39.12

Food outside the home: 76.45

Household items: 177.98, including a roll-away bed, a print cartridge and a bucket

Clothing: 74.69, plus a clothing allowance for dd to use herself this summer (220.00)

Gardening: 71.13

I need to update, I am going to go through my bank account right now and figure out what is what. I finally bit the bullet and did the Easter baskets. Then I had to order a baby shower gift for BIL and SIL, that was not cheap. :-/

So look for a whiney pity post from me in the near future. :)

Okay,, haven't been keeping up the last few days. With DH travelling and me working more than usual, I just didn't get it all written down. But there was nothing outrageous. 75 on groceries,5 on pizza, $ 3 on coffee. I will try to reconstruct tomorrow or Saturday. DH returns tomorrow, yay!!!