Menu

Chronic Illness Moms - How are you doing this week?

Jean in Newcastle

Terrible. Take fibromyalgia and add mono and you can imagine. Plus I fell in the shower not too long ago and got a pretty good concussion plus messed up my back even worse that it already was. My family doctor gave me some stronger pain meds and a medicine that works as a muscle relaxer, pain reliever and sleep inducer. I am actually sleeping through the night for the first time in years. Unfortunately, I cannot stay on this med indefintely. I have been seeing my chiro, message therapist and doing my exercises so hopefully my back at least will be feeling better soon. As to the mono who can say. Hope you are doing better.

I'm sorry, Kids. I hope the good sleep will do some overall good.

I'm not doing well. A fibro flare plus more stress isn't a good combination. Ds and I got in an argument and my fibro fog got so bad that I couldn't put together a single coherent sentence. Having your mother reduced to growling at you has it's humorous parts but only after an hour or so goes by. (We've both apologized and it's fine now.)

I am on vacation but today wasn't good for me medically. bad flare of arthritis and increasing muscle spasms. Hope tomorrow will be better but rain is coiming Sunday and Monday so I will probably continue hurting. I will be back home tomorrow after spending a few hours doing one of my favorite activities- visiting gardens- and then in the evening I will be home with my pets and my regular bed.

Actually I am very overwhelmed tonight. First off I forgot to pay our gas bill for house...and got a phone call telling me I had until 4 o'clock to phone back company...I got message at five. I made payment on line but have to make sure I call right when they open in morning. i can't imagine explaining to my kids why. Have no heat if they cut us off tomorrow.

Our senior dog is peeing blood.

I travelled on business overnight Monday to Tuesday and forgot my fibromyalgia meds...imagine how I felt when I got one after two days of out of town business pulling a suitcase.

My two special needs boys are ...well very special needs.

Work is crazy.

I'm tired. Overwhelmed.

I'm going to try and spend some time in prayer tonight. (After I cook tomorrow's dinner and take a business call from India (because of time change.)

Ok, I'm not doing well this week, and hugs to everyone who is in the same boat! Instead of listing every issue I'm having, I'm going to cut to the chase and ask for lots of good advice! I need to lose a significant amount of weight. My blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol numbers are all decent, except for my triglycerides which are not super alarming, but are elevated.

Here Are my issues: regarding food, I eat pretty well. Not much junk, as high quality food as i can afford. i think i should limit carbs, but am not sure how to do this. Cutting calories doesn't budge the scale. I should improve my diet, but I'm confused by all of the different plans. Doctor suggests Weight Watchers, which leaves me feeling "meh." Weight Watchers works for many, but hasn't made much of a difference for me ever. Each time i've tried it, i haven't cheated, etc. I don't like the philosophy that all calories are created equal. So, I would love advice on eating.

The thing that changes my body/gets rid of fat is exercise. However, I have vertigo, and I'm certain it's related to chronic severe spasms in my head, neck, and shoulder muscles. Specific intense pressure on various muscle groups can relieve my vertigo episodes which is why I believe this. Doctors are skeptical. Physical therapists have been unable to help. Everything i've learned has been through my own research and through trial and error. Anyway, exercise can trigger more frequent vertigo for me. Even prolonged walking can send me into misery. I *need* to exercise daily and for at least an hour at a time to make any weight loss progress. Does anyone have any thoughts as to type of exercise or weighs to minimize the risk of triggering more vertigo? I turn 44 in a couple of weeks, and I can't ignore my weight any longer. Help? Please?

Lisa, :grouphug: I have been seriously trying to lose weight for 3 years now. My adrenal problems make it very difficult. My blood sugar levels go up with exercise, instead of down because of the stress that exercise puts on my body. My body has metabolic problems and cutting calories tends to exacerbate that further as well. The one thing that has helped a little bit has been going to a no grains diet. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, dairy, meat and other protein.

I wish I had some good suggestions on the vertigo. Have you considered a chiropractor?

Hugs to all having a rough week.

Still dealing with sick people here. My mom's pneumonia improved - she was in bed for a week, and now she's running around like nothing happened. One tough lady! But DS relapsed, and now he has pneumonia. So he's on abx, steroids, and breathing treatments. And I am up all night worrying about his asthma. At least DD is better. :)

Not that the above has anything to do with chronic illness, but it sure does make dealing with my own issues harder. I'm tired. It's been a solid month of very sick people to care for... And I am just plain tired.

Weight loss is hard for me, too. The best headway I've made is when I focus on health issues rather than weight. But even then - it's hard.

Bad here also. I just get over being sick last weekend and now I have another cold. I also have been having a ton of seizures yesterday and today. My DH and I got into an argument last night, and it sent my normally low blood pressure soaring, so I dealt with a massive headache all night. Hopefully this weekend is better. Plus, the weather changed so my fingers are killing me. I'm a hot mess right now.

Overall doing well (after the shock of getting the Fibro diagnosis to go along with the RA). I *think* the meds are helping, but not totally sure.

I have a new issue this week that I don't know where it fits: lots of pain in the back part of my knees; right side worse than left side. It's on the side facing in, and behind my kneecap areas. I have had this occasionally before, but this week it has been especially bad; yesterday and today I can barely walk. I came very close to cancelling something for work today where I had to go across campus. But I did it anyway. Can't wait to get home and crash!

Anyone have/had this with their knees?

~coffee~

Lisa, :grouphug: I have been seriously trying to lose weight for 3 years now. My adrenal problems make it very difficult. My blood sugar levels go up with exercise, instead of down because of the stress that exercise puts on my body. My body has metabolic problems and cutting calories tends to exacerbate that further as well. The one thing that has helped a little bit has been going to a no grains diet. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, dairy, meat and other protein.

I wish I had some good suggestions on the vertigo. Have you considered a chiropractor?

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the hugs and for sharing your story. It does help to know I'm not alone.

I have seen two chiropractors, each for about 20 sessions. I didn't notice any improvement, but I should probably try again with another. The two I've seen stuck with one adjustment and hooked me up to a muscle stimulator. I've heard of great improvements others have had, so I should try again.

I also appreciate the suggestion to eliminate grains. I need to really think about how to re-vamp meals and our budget. Eliminating bread and cereals will be easy enough. Breakfast and lunch seem a simple fix. Dinner is what will pose more difficulty. We have 9 in our household, so for budgetary reasons dinner often consists of casseroles, pasta or rice dishes, etc. Do you have any tips, book or website recommendations? Sorry to be such a pain!

I often cook for the family and leave some stuff out for myself. So - for rice, I will put stir-fry etc. on steamed cauliflower for myself. For pasta, I will use spaghetti squash for at least dh and me. Casseroles would be harder unless you could reserve some of the meat and veggies for yourself - perhaps in a small baking ramekin without the added carbs. I am trolling Paleo and primal sites for ideas which sometimes gives me good ideas and sometimes gives me flops.

Ha! Eating over salad or cauliflower! :smacks forehead: Why didn't I think of that? Honestly, sometimes the simplest solutions simply will not come to my mind. Thank you! The broth based soup is also a suggestion I will start using; thanks for that. I will definitely start trolling primal and paleo sites, too, and see what I can find.

Now that dh is back home, I have a bottle washer. He thinks it's only fair that if I cook, he cleans up...a keeper, for sure! The kids unload the dishwasher, clear the table, put away leftovers, and sweep & mop the kitchen. The cook/dietician idea is one I could definitely get behind. The Rosie clone is waaaaay overdue; especially if bathroom cleaning is included in the program! Also, while we're dreaming, I could use a personal trainer...I wonder if Rosie's boyfriend, Mac, would work in a pinch?

Well, I don't have a chronic illness that I know of, but I always like to visit your threads because it makes me feel normal. I have less energy and stamina than other people. I get aches, particularly in my hands and feet, and especially when I'm fighting a virus, which has been a lot in the last couple of months. Everyone in my house was sick in the last two weeks and I thankfully didn't get sick but felt achey and exhausted so that it really interfered with the things I needed to do. Every spring, I turn into zombie woman and develop GI issues, despite testing negative for environmental allergies. This week when I had days like that, I thought of all the chronic illness moms here and forced myself to do my mommy jobs as best I could. :)

Today has been absolutely horrible. I had about a million (I lost count, but it was A LOT) of seizures in my sleep last night. I ended up vomiting and having a brain splitting headache b/c of them, and I stayed in bed until 5pm. I still feel absolutely horrid.

Oh no. Does your DH wake up when you are having seizures at night? That must be hard for you both. :grouphug:

How's everyone else this weekend?

I am having one of the wonderful normal days. Everyone in our house is finally on the mend, and a full night's sleep last night was helpful.

Hoping that you all are having some good times this weekend, and sending virtual extra spoons to all.

Better.

I fell last week twice. Slipped on the ice and got to see the clouds roll by for a few minutes before I could get up. Nothing broken, no bruise. But oh man so painful! Something is still clicking back there every time I take a deep breathe. My arthritis, who's worked very hard to fuse every joint in my upper cervical spine, wasn't happy with me.

I skun my knee on more ice the next day. My pants are still whole though!

DH has grounded me indoors at night until the ice is gone. Yay me, no chores!!!

Thanks for asking.

I am back from vacation. It was nice but tiring. I have run out of my better pain medication and so today I am in more pain. I will get it on Tuesday so not to long a wait. It was a beautiful day here. I did some yard work and my back is felling it. I really didn't need the stress from getting a bill for almost a thousand dollars for my dd;s emergnecy room visit. We are not supposed to be paying anything at this point since we are in the catastrophic category, like every year. Practitioners are always amazed but our new year of deductibles and co-pay starts on OCt. 1. In the last few years, since both dd's have developed medical problems along with me, we always end up in the catastrophic category by late Dec or very early Jan. This year it was right around Christmas. But anyway, the hospital got paid, wrote off a lot as per the agreement, but is still billing almost a thousand to my 19 yo dd. I am sure we won't have to pay it since it is against federal law for them to charge us this (by law they can only charge 15% over the allowable charge which would be 83 dollars, not almost a thousand). Next week will be very hectic with Monday starting off with four medical appointments and two pickups of medications at different places and also getting older dd's medical records so I can send them to the Epilepsy Clinic. Then I need to find a text for a class I will be teaching. Furthermore, my dh wants me to do financial planning based on various possibilities.

So the one thing I do to stay happy is listen to music I like. It helps with the pain and lowers my stress. I also love looking at flowers, and our flowering trees are blooming- Magnolias, early cherries, pears, and lots of flowering bushes- forsythia (though those are starting to fade), quince, early azaleas, etc. Along with daffodils, hyacinths, grape hyacinths, phlox, etc.

Oh no. Does your DH wake up when you are having seizures at night? That must be hard for you both. :grouphug:

Thankfully, no. I don't convulse, so I don't bother him.

I am so exhausted. In the past 3 days I have had a ton of seizures in my sleep, so I am not getting good sleep at all, and that in turn makes me have more. Such a nasty cycle. I just layed down on the sofa and the second I fell asleep I hsd one. I just want to sleep. *cry*

I wish I could go to a doctor but we are in between insurance right now since we moved and changed jobs. I'm stuck suffering b/c we can't afford to see a dr without insurance. May can't come fast enough, which is when our new insurance kicks in.

Hi everyone,

Was doing well, but starting having some stomach pain recently that reminds me of when I had an ulcer before so I've had to stop my Mobic (like ibuprofen). I'm so stiff now, it's not even funny. My fingers on my left hand won't even open. I had no idea it was working so well. Now tonight, a migraine.

So sorry, Cynthia.

I used various NSAIDS for years, first with migraines, then with arthritis. First they were over the counter but later on prescription ones. Then one day, I thought I was having a heart attack. It hurt so badly in my chest area. I went to the hospital and found out I was having an esophageal spasms, due to NSAID use. I had to stop them and was prescribed nitroglecatin. A while later, my rheumatologist thought we could try the so-called safe NSAID for digestive issues. Nope for me- withing two days I was back to the esophageal spasms. That was in 2000 and I haven't used any NSAID since. I do use prescription pain killers but not NSAIDS anymre. I hope you never get this because it is horrible.

Interesting. I do get chest pains sometimes from the mobic, but I lowered the dose and they went away. I wonder if it was the same thing. Not that I want anything else, but I'd rather it be those than my heart.

I started the curcumin yesterday. Slowly taking it up. What dosage do you take to get relief?

How are you doing this Monday? I have had a good morning. I feel (relatively) pain free and can move freely. I am getting tons done but can feel exhaustion setting in. Fortunately I have to sit down now for the next hour so hopefully I won't go into a flare again after just one morning of respite. I was just telling RoughCollie that I would kill to have just one month of respite to get everything whipped into shape around here. Since my absolute record is 4 days, I doubt that will happen, but a girl can dream!

How are you doing this Monday? I have had a good morning. I feel (relatively) pain free and can move freely. I am getting tons done but can feel exhaustion setting in. Fortunately I have to sit down now for the next hour so hopefully I won't go into a flare again after just one morning of respite. I was just telling RoughCollie that I would kill to have just one month of respite to get everything whipped into shape around here. Since my absolute record is 4 days, I doubt that will happen, but a girl can dream!

I'm glad you are doing well today!! :)

After my terrible weekend, I am actually feeling really well today! I haven't had a seizure since early Sunday morning, which I am thankful for. They completely wipe me out. We are wondering if the fact that we had been eating takeout or restaurant food all week was the trigger behind all of my seizures (preservitives, maybe? I know hard alcohol triggers tonic clonic ones in me, so you never know...) We usually eat mostly homemade, but last week was crazy busy. We had homemade for the past two nights and other than the REALLY mild one Sunday morning around 7am, I have been seizure free!! I haven't had that many in one cluster ever before. Usually 3 or 4 is the max in one stretch, but if I had to guess I probably had around 30-40 in a span of 4 days. Crazy!!

I'm just miserable. :( Sorry to whine. But I really feel awful off of my Mobic. I absolutely HATE that I NEED a medicine so much. It's ridiculous. I'm only 42 and should be able to get through the day without taking a multitude of different pain pills. I regularly take "medication vacations" so I don't think I'm addicted. I'm just really really tired of hurting. How am I supposed to take care of my two year old who seems to be going through the worst terrible twos EVER?

Thanks for listening to me vent - my hubby gets tired of hearing it and doesn't completely understand anyway.

I am also in so much pain. I am done with all but two medical appointments this week. At least things are moving along. The ENT suggested I try hearing aids. I have to see if they will be covered by insurance. I think they may be or I am close to getting them covered so maybe next year if not this year. I get them for free if I get it while my dh is still active duty. I had my second ultrasound on my thyroid so I hope to get the results tomorrow- and probably have another round of appointments. Good news this week- I only have mild osteopenia, and no osteoporosis. Considering my age (50) and my on and off use of steroids medically for years, that is good news. Then I also saw the psychiatrist who said she didn't even need the screening test to figure out I was ADHD but of course, the screening test completely confirmed it- I had almost every symptom and in the frequently to always categories. I was started on 30mg of Vyvanse and so far, maybe I am a bit better. I didn't know I was supposed to bring a driver to see my pain doctor so I have to wait for a month to get the first of my pain injections. Another reason I need to get my youngest to get her license.

I am in a flare of my arthritis and on top of that, we are getting a cold wave tonight followed by precipitation, Doesn't help the pain. I told the pain clinic my pain was a 7.5 on a scale of 10. The only reason it isn't even higher is because I now feel like doctors are actually trying to help me.

Better day today for me. Not much, but at least better. I'm sorry to hear others are having a bad day. We have co-op tomorrow so hopefully it will be a better day tomorrow too. Hope everyone can get a decent night's sleep.

Hi everyone,

Was doing well, but starting having some stomach pain recently that reminds me of when I had an ulcer before so I've had to stop my Mobic (like ibuprofen). I'm so stiff now, it's not even funny. My fingers on my left hand won't even open. I had no idea it was working so well. Now tonight, a migraine.

I totally understand this. I had to stop anti-inflammatories, a few years ago because I have kidney involvement with my lupus. At that time, I didn't have full on arthritis yet. I was dealing with pain, but now I can never tell how I will feel when I wake up. I never thought these problems would be part of my life at 31.

I hope you feel better soon.

Very high pain day for me. It is cold here (40's) and we are supposed to have rain this afternoon through the weekend. I took my pain medicine as usual plus my muscle relaxant and all my other medicines for chronic illnesses (I have 7, I think) and they are not doing the job. It is the day when I have lots of time to do work since I have no appointments and my daughter is away at co-op. However, my pain is really, really bad and gets worse with the kind of decluttering I need to do= lots of bending and picking up. It is so bad that I will stop using the computer soon since my hands hurt so much.

I really hope all you others are in much less worse circumstances.

Oh Chris, I'm sorry. I hate bending too. In fact, I'll arrange things so there is the least amount of bending possible. I call my kids for bending duty at times. On the other hand, in my case, I worry that if I don't bend at all, that my muscles will tighten so badly that I can't. Already there are days when I need help putting on my socks and shoes.