Menu

Netflix list for Middle Ages/Medieval needed....

There may be a few on the list that we watched on broadcast, although it's probable that most of those would be available on Netflix now, I suppose.

Anyway, here's what we watched the year we did the middle ages and Renaissance.

Britain A.D.: King Arthur’s Britain (2005)

In Search of History: The Holy Grail (History Channel)

Decoding the Past: Secrets of the Koran (History Channel)

In Search of History: Knights Templar (History Channel)

Knights and Armor (2004)

David Macauly’s Castle (PBS)

Ancient Mysteries: Lost Castles of Scotland (A&E 1995)

Gregorian Chants: Hortus Musicus (2005)

The Lion in Winter (2003)

Black Death (History Channel)

Chartres Cathedral: A Sacred Geometry (2002)

Doctor Faustus (1968)

Henry V (1989)

William Shakespeare: A Life of Drama (A&E)

Richard III (1995)

Midsummer Night’s Dream (1999)

A Man for All Seasons (1966)

The Virgin Queen, parts 1 & 2 (Masterpiece Theatre)

Thanks, gang! This is just what I needed.

We're watching A & E's version of Ivanhoe this week from Netflix. Its great, although I have no context for the story (again, my history is weak, but improving day-by-day) :)

Next, I'll be hitting you up for book lists for that era.

Thanks, gang! This is just what I needed.

We're watching A & E's version of Ivanhoe this week from Netflix. Its great, although I have no context for the story (again, my history is weak, but improving day-by-day) :)

Next, I'll be hitting you up for book lists for that era.

I didn't know about that one!

A Knights Tale

It has the late Heath Ledger in it.

This is the blurb from Netflix

Rock 'n' roll meets The Canterbury Tales when a squire (Heath Ledger) befriends an aspiring writer and persuades him to forge documents that will pass off the squire as a knight of noble birth. With his new "history" in hand, the erstwhile squire finds romance and enters jousting competitions far and wide -- all set to the infectious beat of contemporary pop tunes.

It is a very funny movie, a twist on your typical knights in shinning armor movie.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this on the History Channel this week. Add this to the list. It was excellent:

Engineering An Empire: Britain: Blood and Steel

At its pinnacle, the British empire spanned every continent and covered one quarter of the Earth's land mass. Through the centuries, the rulers of this enormous powerhouse used extraordinary engineering feats to become an industrial and military titan, loaded with riches. Some of their many pioneering accomplishments include the world's first locomotive, a superhighway of underground sewers, the imposing and grand Westminster Palace, and the most powerful and technically advanced navy in the age of sail. Using cutting edge CGI, we'll take a look at the key leaders of the British empire--and explore the mark each left on society. Peter Weller hosts.

The book is 100x's better, but the movie is entertaining for all ages. They do change the ending a bit and left out some details due to time constraints (expected in a movie). For twaddle, it's still better twaddle than a lot that is out there...and hey, everyone has to have SOME twaddle now and then ;)

A Knight's Tale would be good to use in conjunction with a book called Real Knights, by Christopher Gravett. It tells the true stories of Edward, the Black Prince of Wales and Ulrich Von Lichtenstein, among others.

ETA that I screwed up in that I didn't notice this was the High School forum. That's an elementary level book. Oh well, maybe someone else can use it, and in the meantime, I'm sure what I meant to say was that Ulrich Von Lichtenstein was a real knight, although the movie is fictional.

Oh, also there's a Cinderella movie called Ever After which is interesting. It's set in France. The "Cinderella" (played by Drew Barrymore) is a strong, intelligent and honorable young woman, who is heavily influenced by having read Thomas More's Utopia. Leonardo da Vinci is a minor character...he actually did live at court in France during the period in which the story is set, and died in the arms of the king, if I remember correctly.

Janie - hey great link to the fordham Medieval sourcebook. I've used that site for medieval texts but I didn't know they had a movie database.

I will just reiterate a movie that has already been mentioned above. Becket is my all-time favorite medieval movie. Henry II is played marvelously by Peter O'Toole.