Menu

Just when I uploaded a profile picture of me, I saw...

I had just been playing around with the avatars. Trying to decide what to use. Wasn't happy with my original pick, noticed so many people were posting pictures of themselves, and thought, "What the heck? Sure, why not. I know it's a little risky, but everyone else is doing it" LOL. So I uploaded a picture of me. Lasted all of 5 minutes, because as soon as I did it, I logged off, went downstairs and saw a commercial on TV, warning of the dangers of posting your photo on the Internet. How once you do, it's impossible to get it back and it's available for ALL to see.

I immediately came back upstairs and changed my avatar, LOL.

So while it's a humorous story of what happened to me today with regards to this, at the same time, I am letting you all know about it, just to make sure YOU'RE comfortable with your photo online.

Peace,

Janna

OH HOW I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!

They lie, you do realize this? There is no more danger of you posting your photo on the internet then there is of your distant, like 10 streets over, neighbors being able to identify you. In fact, you are more likely to get hit in your driveway by a falling object than you are being stalked by someone on the internet.

There is no cause for alarm and never should be. Man, they know how to get someone's goat all furied up, don't they?

Oh! I'm so grateful for pictures. You *are* who I thought you were -- you're Jenn's Debra, from the Becoming the Woman... study! And that's your hair!

I'm not quick, but I got it. Check. Now I have to figure out who Caralyn is if you're the one with that hair.

Hmmm.

I wondered about the pictures too, but I don't have any other personal info here. What did they say could happen?

Nothing. Nothing can happen and they lied about it being on the net for forever. It's all scare tactic and reactionary.

If you have an ounce of common sense, nothing will happen and nothing usually ever does. It's the idiots who join myspace/facebook/etc. and advertise everything right down to their bra size, that have things happen to them.

This board is private. People can't see anything without being registered. Now, we all know that I'm an axe murderer, but most here are not. Therefore, the answer is "nothing".

I don't care what that "news" special said, it lied. And it was reactionary and it was all scare tactic.

It's that simple.

Now, we all know that I'm an axe murderer, but most here are not.

That one made me laugh!:D You shouldn't do that. My throat hurts to bad to be laughing.:( I debated putting my picture up but figured it is spattered all over my website so what the heck! By the way, my website doesn't list personal info.

You know, though, I DO think those warnings are great for the GGW-aged crowd that doesn't really realize that posting a pic of yourself flashing your... flashing... um... I don't think the script is set up for that word, but flashing, um...booKs will *potentially* be there when your application to grad school or your first job with a security clearance requirement. I think it's *those* pics that have the potential of never going away and biting you in the behind. So to, um, speak.

My parents shred their address on envelopes. Security reasons, they say. And they have no answer when I say, "You know, if they want to know where you live, they can just look in the ding dang PHONE BOOK! It's right there. Black and white."

Of course, I don't say "ding dang" to my parents, or they would write me out of the will. But I think it. (heh)

Which is why my point stands.

This forum is private. Can't see it or search it without registering. That includes google. Sure, I could search it and even get a hit, but if I want to click on that hit, I'm going to get a "you must register" page.

No one who is any kind of decent axe murderer is going to go through all that trouble, registering.

uhh, wait.. umm--I don't count. I only axe murder on weekends. And every 10th sunday.

:)

This board is private. People can't see anything without being registered.

People can't see user profiles if they're not registered, is that it? Because you can certainly read the forum without being registered. I read it for awhile yesterday before I signed up - you just can't post.

I don't really understand the danger. For me, for example, someone can get my picture (not real worried about that - what on earth would they do with it? :eek:), my city (not a small one), and my blog. They might even get my full name. And then they're going to do what...? I just don't see how that is different from the information we have on neighbors that are just casual acquaintances.

I'm not worried about it. It helps to get us to knowech other better. My picture is already out there and I don't mind. Would take a little -not much- effort to get my name.

I would have never known that I looked like Jack Kerouac until a friend online pointed it out to me. Another friend also pointed out that my wife looks like an elf :o. Got me to read "On the Road" which was something I always wanted to read but never made a priority.

Kerouac: http://www.beatmuseum.org/kerouac/images/jkstamp2.gif

Wife and I : http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5718/voltaire9nk.jpg

I realized that you can only see member profiles if you are logged in. So if you post a picture on your profile and not as an avatar, only logged in members will be able to see it.

If you click on the member list not logged in, all the avatar pictures are there. If you click in as a logged in member, a profile column appears with the pictures.

Nice to have a couple of options for different levels of comfort. :)