Menu

Singulair vs claritin for kids?

Stayseeliz

We went to an ENT in the fall and had DD9 allergy tested. She came up positive for mold and a few fungi. She wasn't having issues at the time so I didn't give her the singulair the dr prescribed her. She is now struggling with allergy symptoms and I was wondering if I should go straight for the singulair or try claritin first. Thanks for any thoughts!

Try Claritin first.

And if you do try Singulair - please, please do some research first. Our pediatrician thinks it should have a black box warning. It can cause major behavioral issues. Major. Not to mention nightmares (actual nightmares, not just behavioral nightmares).

Singulair was a nightmare for our family, on so many levels. :( We are still dealing with after effects.

Does she have asthma? If she's asthmatic, I would go get the singulair. Ds took singulair and zyrtec for about a year (along w/ an inhaled steroid), and we were told that for his allergies, we should start him on allergy meds before allergy season, and keep him on them until the end of April or May. So, for us, that meant Oct-April. His "asthma" was allergy related.

All that to say, you might need to do both.

Here's a link to the FDA page: http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/postmarketdrugsafetyinformationforpatientsandproviders/drugsafetyinformationforheathcareprofessionals/ucm165489.htm

All kids don't have issues with Singulair. But you need to know what to watch for if it becomes an issue for *your* kid, like it did for mine.

Good luck finding something that works!

Singulair works great for many kids. But proceed with caution, my son had hallucinations from it. We are still, five years later, dealing with the fallout from those hallucinations. I did not know at the time that it was even possible to have such side effects with Singulair. I found out after it was too late when I looked on the internet to see if anyone else had these same things happen.

For my son, Singulair is a maintenance med that relieves his allergies so he doesn't get asthma. Claritin is something I would use for an occasional allergy symptom, but for DS Benadryl works better in that case. If I ever give Claritin it doesn't help him much.

FWIW my son has no problem with Singulair, but Zyrtec was awful for him-- he could not sleep and actually became combative, hitting out! Fortunately it was easy to discontinue and the symptoms went away.

ETA: Allegra had a similar effect to Zyrtec for him. We had to stop it too.

Just to provide another option. Claritin is very ineffective for my son, Zyrtec caused very odd and weird side effects, Allegra was okay. I did not want to go the Singlulair route. Last year we started using D-Hist Junior. It's a more natural one. I got mine on Amazon after 7 or 8 people told me to try it. It has worked SO well. You can give 1-2 tablets twice a day. We vary the dose depending on if he has a flare up but he has been very stable since being on it.

Just another idea.

Two family members here have done okay on Singulair. They were already on multiple antihistamines and still having breathing issues, so this was seen as a necessary next step. The thought of using it freaked me out, and I was hyper vigilant about watching for side effects. In your case, I would definitely try antihistamines first.