Menu

Is it to early to ask what's on your Easter menu?

lynn

I've been thinking about dessert already and am planning to make lemon cupcakes and chocolate peanut butter squares (both new recipes to me). I'm hoping it will be nice enough to grill some steaks. Will probably have fresh strawberries and a green salad, plus some other side TBD.

The older girls on DD's cheer team are selling smoked pork roasts, hams, and turkeys as a fundraiser, so I've ordered a pork roast to be delivered the Thursday before. I'll do potatoes,rolls, a vegetable or two, and a nice salad. Not sure on desserts yet. We may or may not have extended family here that weekend (depending on when their DC have to be back at school after Spring break. I know they'll be here the week before.)

This will be our first time eating out at a restaurant on Easter Sunday. Due to circumstances (schedules, and where everyone is currently living), that's the only way we can make it work this year. I love the idea of lemon cupcakes and grilling though...

We always have a leg of lamb, asparagus with Hollandaise, and roasted new potatoes. And I make paska/pascha (it's a Russian thing that so far has bombed every year but people gamely eat it and I am determined to get it right!) and chocolate babka for dessert. Usually some friends bring appetizers.

I am planning on prime rib, still choosing side dishes and black forest cake for dessert.

Considering that Lent hasn't even started yet (in the eastern Church :) -- Pascha/Easter is May 5), yes!!! It's too early to ask. I can tell you that it will involve meat, cheese, milk, eggs and wine. :D

Easter is a bit tricky this year. My two college students each get the week off BEFORE Easter and have to fly back that Saturday night. Both have requested "Easter dinner" before they go, so I suppose we will be eating it on Friday night.

Ham probaby because everyone loves it. Mashed potatos and mashed cauliflower (both with butter and cream), homemade rolls, and lots and lots of gravy.

On Easter Sunday, we will probably go out for pancakes after the early church service.

We will be having a whole, herb-roasted chicken, roasted cherry tomatoes, roasted asparagus, risotto, pound cake, whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Our menus for each holiday are pretty much set in stone. I may alternate out a side dish or dessert here or there, but everything else stays the same. At least holiday meals are always easy at our house, because I know exactly what we're having, and my DH and DC know exactly what they have to look forward to each holiday.

We make shoslick--it's a lamb kabob with grilled veggies. While you are supposed to make a skewer with lamb and the veggies, we grill them separately.

Dh cuts up a leg of lamb, then marinates it in Italian dressing overnight. After church, he takes a nap ('cause he does 3 services on Easter, the first starting at 5am...lol!), then threads the lamb, grills it, and then does the veggies--different colored peppers, mushrooms, and onions, with a skewer of garlic cloves. We serve it on a bed of rice. Best meal all year.

Pie for dessert, or just Easter candy (which signifies the sweetness of Christ, BTW).

Nothing really, probably salads and cold chicken. My dad is having open heart surgery and will be coming home right before Easter. Mom will need help and we can't have the usual influx of family over. He'll be eating light so she and I will prepare a very mild chicken, rice, green bean casserole for the two of them. I'll head to church, play for worship, go home and have a salad, then be back to check on them.

It's going to be a very, very low key day.

I have a roast beef, carrots, potatoes, onions, and green beans in the oven now and will do sauteed asparagus as well for supper. Maybe I should call this our Easter dinner! LOL

Faith

I'm thinking ham and boneless leg of lamb. Our immediate family and my parents like LoL even though we didn't grow up eating it, but I'm not sure that will fly with DH's side, so I'll probably heat up a ham too.

Beyond that, I haven't given it much thought. We are also celebrating my youngest child's bday that day, which is quite late, but the best timing we could come up with due to some family being out of town.

We usually have ham ('cause it's always on sale at Easter) and bourbon-chocolate-pecan pie, because there will be anarchy if I don't.

The sides are still up in the air.

Okay...I just got to have a taste of that bourbon-chocolate-pecan pie....share your favorite recipe for it and I'm going to bake one this week for March 14 - you know, Pi Day!

Myra

Tradtion here says it will probably be Ham with deviled eggs, probably asparagus or broccoli salad and some kind of fruit salad, homemade bread.If someone asks I could be talked into making potato salad. Dessert will be whatever my wonderful DIL decides she whip together for us. It is always yummy. She has been on a cheesecake kick lately and no one is argueing with her!

It's our first Easter without Dad. He was a very traditional guy who liked ham on Easter. Well, he was the only one who could pick out good meat. We all try. We all fail. We got a ham for New Years and it was like someone dipped it in the Dead Sea before we cooked it. And seeing as we don't really care what we have, well not like Dad did, we're having turkey dinner. Stuffing! Mashed potatoes! Cranberry relish!

It's my brother's favorite. He's going to be stoked.

I'm going to try my hand at homemade cheesecake. I found a springform pan at the charity shop for $2. Any tips would be appreciated!

Okay...I just got to have a taste of that bourbon-chocolate-pecan pie....share your favorite recipe for it and I'm going to bake one this week for March 14 - you know, Pi Day!

Myra

Here goes:

Triple Crown pie

1/2 C unsalted butter

2 large eggs

1 C sugar

2 T bourbon

3 T cornstarch

1 C finely chopped pecans

1 C (6oz) semisweet chocolate chips (I like 6oz of the mini chips)

9 in unbaked pie shell

preheat oven to 350

melt butter in microwave and set aside

In medium bowl beat eggs just to break them up, but don't let them get too frothy

add sugar, whisk til blended

add butter and bourbon, then add cornstarch

stir in pecans and chips

pour into pie shell and put onto a cookie sheet

bake for 45-50 minutes

cool for 1 hour before serving (if too cool-- warm for 15 minutes in oven @350)

good with whipped cream

I like to reduce the sugar a bit (1/4 cup) but try it the real way for your first time.

This is super easy and the prep is done in about 10 minutes.

I often exchange the bourbon with orange extract if someone in my party gets weird about the bourbon.

Let me know how you liked it!!

Lara