Menu

Which Singapore supplement do you use for drills?

KellyMama

Do I want the Math Sprints or should I just use the resource pages in the HIG? Or something else? When we did Saxon and Abeka they had drills daily. I'd really like to keep that going when we transition to SM. I'm currently planning on using the textbook, workbook, CWP and tests.

And yes, for anyone who was part of my initial SM meltdown we've decided I can in fact teach this math. I just had to breathe deeply and really review the materials - when I wasn't sick lol ;)

We use Mental Math from the back of the HIG almost daily. I actually have DD work a few problems from several different columns/levels for up to 10-15 problems total a day. We also used some flash cards that I made at the suggestion of the HIG in the beginning. When we run out of Mental Math, I just write some problems on notebook paper.

PS - We also have Math Sprints, but we only do those ever once in a while.

I used the Math Sprints for a while. They're tough, and don't necessarily add more that isn't present in the HIG mental math. So I've switched back to using Mental Math only.

I also have the kids playing games that reinforce basic math facts (facts to 20 for my younger, multiplication for my older). These are different but complementary to what Mental Math / Math Sprints provide, imho.

I should copy and print but I don't. :glare: Maybe next year. For now, I just tear from the back and hand it to my son. Partly, because we are going to move to Standards Edition next year and I know I we will not to 3 US edition again...so no loss for me here.

We needed more review, so we use MathSprints + the mental math + daily oral drill.

I wouldn't add to the mental math in Singapore unless you want to solve a particular problem or enhance performance in a specific way. For us, it was clear that Button's ability to do math at the correct level was really limited by his ability to do computations in his head (he is accelerated and young for the math he's doing, which is a strong factor here). So I've added things in until that isn't much of a problem. (Every so often I take them away, one at a time, until the problem reappears, to find what our baseline requirement for drill is.)

The MathSprints problems are computationally simpler than the mental math problems. You would not spend more than 2 minutes doing them each day (and probably another 2 or 3 checking them). They feel much more drill-like to me. They cover things like rounding in addition to basic operations, and include decimals and fractions, so in that way they are different to the Calculadder I've seen but otherwise serve a similar function.