Menu

Calling Dr. Hive...

Unicorn.

Dd is horribly congested, so stuffed up she can't breathe, and her throat is sore (from all the drainage). She has occasional coughing and sneezing, but not regular. Claritin doesn't help. Sudafed doesn't help. Benadryl hasn't helped. And Mucinex hasn't helped. She thought the vit. C and zinc helped a tiny bit, but not enough. Last night she basically had to sleep sitting up in order to breathe. No real fever- she woke up w/ a small fever yesterday (100.5) but it went down to 99 w/in an hour, and hasn't gone back up. Her ear is starting to hurt from the pressure in her head.

Any ideas on what to do for this poor kid. She's been drinking lots and lots of water, some juice, and sucking on cough drops.

Have you tried steam inhalation? Heat several cups of water to a boil and then pour it in a large bowl. Put a few drops of essential oil (I like to use tea tree oil) or some Vicks Vapor Rub in the water, and then have your DD put her head over it with a towel over her head to keep the steam contained. Have her breathe in the steam for as long as she's comfortable.

Hope she feels better soon!

Have you tried steam inhalation? Heat several cups of water to a boil and then pour it in a large bowl. Put a few drops of essential oil (I like to use tea tree oil) or some Vicks Vapor Rub in the water, and then have your DD put her head over it with a towel over her head to keep the steam contained. Have her breathe in the steam for as long as she's comfortable.

Hope she feels better soon!

Well, she took an hour long shower, in really hot steamy water in a tiny bathroom. Trust me when I say it was like a rainforest in there! That didn't help either. :(

Boil water, add lemon juice (like basically hot lemonade strength), add BIG spoon of honey. I used to drink multiple cups of it to help. If she can take it, add a pinch of cayenne to kick it up a notch.

Or a humidifier with some of that medicine in it? Forgot the name of it?? Menthol?

Is it cold where you are? If it is bundle her up and send her outside with a box of tissue. The cold will open nasal passages and the snot will run.

I'm in TX, so no, not cold. :( She is running, too. She's gone through a whole box of Kleenex in the last 2 days (or less).

We don't have a neti pot, and I haven't had a humidifier since the dc were little. I'll try the hot lemon water and honey in the morning. I might have to break down and take her to urgent care tomorrow, but I'd rather wait for the doc's office on Monday. Her temp was 99.8 a few minutes ago. She went to bed w/ a cold wet washrag to put over her sinuses. Hoping that helps her get some relief.

If you ever do get a neti pot made sure you use the right kind of water. I think it is distiller water, but look at the package info. Tap water and a neti pot in your part of the world can be deadly.

Yes, I've heard that. It's one of the reasons we don't have one. I didn't know where we lived mattered though, I thought that was everywhere?