Menu

When do you ask for help? $$ question

MindyD

Scholarships for homeschool resources  

77 members have voted

1. 1. When is it okay to apply for a scholarship (homeschool resource, not college)?

• Always apply. If you don't ask, you don't receive.
    • Apply if your budget will be stretched to pay for the program.
    • Apply only if your budget will be tighter than your favorite pair of jeans from before kids.
    • Apply only if you truly cannot afford to participate without it.
    • Nope, no scholarships for us.
    • Other (although I can't imagine what that would be!)

What kind of financial situation would make you consider applying for a homeschool resource if it's something that you really need to be able to continue homeschooling? I've always felt it should be a last resort, and scholarships should be for people that can't participate without it. I'm not sure if we're in that boat yet, but we might be. We won't know until after the choice has already been made. Even if we don't apply or receive a scholarship and things stay the way we'd like, we'll still be tight. So what do you think?

It's for a homeschool resource center. Tuition includes books. They go once a week to go over their lessons and assignments, then they get a week's worth of assignments to work on throughout the rest of the week. It will get some structure that ds and I both need. After the way this school year has gone, it's this or enrolling him in school. He's a great student, but he needs to be pushed, and I need someone to just tell me what to do for a little while.

I would think that if your budget would be uncomfortably stretched, you should apply. Hopefully they have their application worded in a way that they can tell when someone else has more of a financial need, and then would give it to them. I especially think this when you are making a choice between this class and public school.

Ask them. Explain your situation, explain that you don't want to take $ away from someone more needy than you, etc. etc. They should be able to give you a sense of things from their side of the table. Part of the reason for scholarships, esp. in hsing, is to make it possible for certain kids to attend - because it's better for the other kids if they do. More than once I've been part of a group that has given a free or reduced price to someone we wanted to participate (and not always with their awareness of it). It can't hurt to ask.

I voted "apply if your budget will be stretched" but with a few qualifications. One, you should be very certain that this is just the right thing for you, which it sounds like you are. And two, you should explain the situation like a PP said. Sometimes scholarship funds go unused because everyone assumes there is someone else who needs help more, so nobody applies. Also, I would base it on whether or not I can do anything for the organization. For instance, I do a lot to benefit a particular group, so I would feel less uncomfortable asking for help from them than I would from a different group.

In this case, I would probably go ahead and apply. If you do get the scholarship, in either outcome (whether the $$ ends up being truly needed or only helpful to the budget), I'd try to "pay it forward" in some way, shape, or form in the future when able.

Apply. If you don't need it write them a grateful explanatory letter and they can pass it to the next person on the list.

I put only if you won't be able to do it otherwise (and pay the bills,rent,food etc). The caveat being if the only way was to deprive the other kids and the one kid really needed it I would apply. I am also starting to think about whether I am truly better off than other people getting scholarships but that is a new thing which I think I will do away with soon.

Is the scholarship income based or merit based?

If it is income/need based and you have to provide some sort of "proof" you need it to participate then I would assume they would compare all those who apply and chose those with the most need. If it is merit based, I'd apply whether I needed the help or not.

It is a financial based scholarship. This is a private organization and they give out their own scholarships. The tuition is to pay the tutors and for materials. They simply offer classes once a week and give assignments for the rest of the week. I've done Classical Conversations in the past, but it wasn't a great fit. Thanks for everyone's input. We're in a strange position where everything is changing in the next couple of months. Once everything settles down, we'll know much better how we stand.

I assume they have specific income guidelines for awarding scholarships. So I'd just apply and see if you qualify or not.

:iagree: If you qualify, you're as eligible for that assistance as someone else. If it's need based and they only have so many spots, I'm sure they'll choose the most eligible people first. If you get in, it's because they decided you needed the assistance. That's fair.