Menu

I know I should miss them, but I kind of don't

Hoot

DH and DS13 left last Sunday morning for a week in Florida. They did 3 spring training games in Clearwater and then went to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to meet Winter the dolphin. They've had a blast but, at this point they're getting tired of seeing each other and are ready to come home tomorrow. They were both sure that they'd never want to come home once they were down there. I, on the other hand, thought I would miss them like crazy on the first day and be counting down the hours until their return. Really though, I'm having too much fun here by myself. I haven't even done anything spectacular, just read some books, watched some movies, ate some good food, and enjoyed the silence. It feels so wrong to say that I've enjoyed having them gone and I'm not 100% looking forward to them coming home tomorrow. I have spent less than an hour TOTAL keeping my house clean this week, and it is spotless. That will change as soon as they pull in the driveway. :001_unsure:

When I go away to travel, I miss my husband at the end of day one. I miss my kids about the end of day 5. Doesn't mean I don't love them, or think happy thoughts about them, or wish (briefly) that they could be with me and see whatever it is I'm doing - I just don't miss them to the point of sorrow till day 5. I'm too busy relaxing and having fun!

I know how you feel. My dh has always traveled extensively for his job, and over the years I've really come to appreciate those nights when the house is quiet and I can leave the TV off (or watch whatever I want!) and read, relax, and enjoy my alone time. When the kids were little I'd put them to bed and the house would be so lovely and still. Now they're older and out and about most nights anyway, so it really is just me. And my dog. :D

I know how you feel. My dh has always traveled extensively for his job, and over the years I've really come to appreciate those nights when the house is quiet and I can leave the TV off (or watch whatever I want!) and read, relax, and enjoy my alone time. When the kids were little I'd put them to bed and the house would be so lovely and still. Now they're older and out and about most nights anyway, so it really is just me. And my dog. :D

Back when DS13 was just a baby, DH used to work in a different state from where we live. He would fly out on Sunday mornings and fly back home every Friday evening. This went on for more than a year. I sometimes joke that that was the best year of our marriage. :D Not that it's a bad marriage, I just REALLY like my alone time. A LOT.

My dh took the older boys on a weekend trip and it was just me and my youngest at home. I enjoyed it. I got to spend time with my preschooler, and he is so funny and amazing as a person. It's hard to hone in on that when his siblings are around.

My house was easy to keep clean when I only had the one kid with me.

Don't feel guilty! It's so rare to get alone time! I haven't had time alone in nearly a year and after James Bond gets home from this deployment and settles back in, don't think I'm not running away for at least a weekend, all by myself! Heck, I might not even go anywhere but a hotel down the street, but by golly, I'll do it alone. Alone time is important. Enjoy it. You'll be happy to see them when they get back, but having some down time is good for your mind and soul.

DH and DS13 left last Sunday morning for a week in Florida. They did 3 spring training games in Clearwater and then went to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to meet Winter the dolphin. They've had a blast but, at this point they're getting tired of seeing each other and are ready to come home tomorrow. They were both sure that they'd never want to come home once they were down there. I, on the other hand, thought I would miss them like crazy on the first day and be counting down the hours until their return. Really though, I'm having too much fun here by myself. I haven't even done anything spectacular, just read some books, watched some movies, ate some good food, and enjoyed the silence. It feels so wrong to say that I've enjoyed having them gone and I'm not 100% looking forward to them coming home tomorrow. I have spent less than an hour TOTAL keeping my house clean this week, and it is spotless. That will change as soon as they pull in the driveway. :001_unsure:

Back when DS13 was just a baby, DH used to work in a different state from where we live. He would fly out on Sunday mornings and fly back home every Friday evening. This went on for more than a year. I sometimes joke that that was the best year of our marriage. :D Not that it's a bad marriage, I just REALLY like my alone time. A LOT.

I totally understand.

I really like my alone time too. I miss the days when my DH used to travel for work.

Don't feel guilty! It's so rare to get alone time! I haven't had time alone in nearly a year and after James Bond gets home from this deployment and settles back in, don't think I'm not running away for at least a weekend, all by myself! Heck, I might not even go anywhere but a hotel down the street, but by golly, I'll do it alone. Alone time is important. Enjoy it. You'll be happy to see them when they get back, but having some down time is good for your mind and soul.

Haha, this reminds me of when I turned 40 and my dh asked me if I wanted a party. I said no, just a night at a hotel ALONE. He enthusiastically offered to call my mom to babysit the kids, and then I had to break the bad news that "alone" meant just that. ;)

On the flip side, dh really likes it when I take the 2 girls away overnight or on a short trip. He says that he and ds love having the house to themselves where they can watch movies, eat pizza, and leave messes all over.

I totally understand.

I really like my alone time too. I miss the days when my DH used to travel for work.

A few months ago DH said he may have to do a 3 day business seminar and my response was, "please don't tease me until you have your plane ticket in hand." :tongue_smilie: He ended up not needing to go after all.