Menu

Amoxicillin allergy - any one else?

Spryte

[sigh]

Just got home from the doc's office with DS. He's allergic to amoxycillin - and covered in big, itchy hives. She says to avoid penicillin and augmentin in the future as well.

This is my allergic kiddo, so we have lots of allergies - but this is the first drug allergy.

Anything I need to know?

Between my mom's pneumonia, DD's strep, DS's strep/flu and hives... I am swinging from the end of a rope here!

My daughter is allergic to this also. We've never had problems with anything else. She doesn't have any other allergies that we know about.

I'm sorry it has been rough for you. I hope the hives clear up soon for you. I think it took 24-36 hours for my daughter, but it has been 9 years ago.

Linda

DD broke out in hives the one time she was given amoxicillin as well. I do list it on any health reports, but it hasn't been an issue. The time she broke out in hives, they switched her to Zithromax, which was fine (more expensive, but the taste was better anyway, and it was fewer doses).

Thanks! We've been giving Benadryl every 4 hours since last night. Hives are *still* appearing. Doc gave us an Rx for steroids if it doesn't slow down.

At least there are alternatives in the world of antibiotics, if necessary.

Do you include this on their med alert bracelets (if they wear one for other reasons)? I need to order a new bracelet for DS anyway, do I add this on as well?

I'm allergic to Amoxicilin and Penicillin and other than one doctor telling me I "wasn't making this very easy" (treating me for both strep and mononucleosis that went undiagnosed for weeks) it hasn't been a big issue. My grandma's allergy to iodine has had more complications :glare:

I'm allergic to Amoxicilin and Penicillin and other than one doctor telling me I "wasn't making this very easy" (treating me for both strep and mononucleosis that went undiagnosed for weeks) it hasn't been a big issue. My grandma's allergy to iodine has had more complications :glare:

Well, that doctor should NOT have been prescribing a penicillin drug for mono anyway. You will get a spectacular rash if you take penicillin when you have it. And there are so many alternatives to penicillin drugs that is simply isn't a big deal. I'm allergic to penicillin, too, and my go-to drug for infections is Cefdinir. Works great!

Thanks! We've been giving Benadryl every 4 hours since last night. Hives are *still* appearing. Doc gave us an Rx for steroids if it doesn't slow down.

Do you include this on their med alert bracelets (if they wear one for other reasons)? I need to order a new bracelet for DS anyway, do I add this on as well?

:grouphug: :grouphug: Poor thing! You've got an unfair amount of stuff on your plate right now!

Yes, I would add to his other allergies on the bracelet.

My dad did.

FTR, Amoxicillin is just a brand name for the generic penicillin.

Well, that doctor should NOT have been prescribing a penicillin drug for mono anyway. You will get a spectacular rash if you take penicillin when you have it. And there are so many alternatives to penicillin drugs that is simply isn't a big deal.

This. I'd question if I was a true allergy if you reacted while being treated for mono. This happened to my brother, and that was actually how the doc diagnosed his mono. My brother isn't allergic to penicillin.

I'm allergic to penicillin. I usually get another broad-spectrum abx like clindamycin or azithromycin. About 5% of those allergic to penicillin will cross-react to cephalosporin abx as well.

Include this on their med alert bracelet and also update the dentist records. The dentists needed to know about my penicillin allergy. It was near fatal for my maternal aunt (cardiac arrest).

The doctors prescribe erythromycin instead of amoxicillin or penicillin for me.

ETA:

List of pencillin related drugs http://www.fifeadtc.scot.nhs.uk/support/antibiotics/Penicillin%20Allergy.pdf

Yes, add it to the bracelet just in case you or he forgets (like I did).

I'm allergic to penicillin too. The hives (for me) would not go away with just Benadryl. I was on 15 days of steroids. Use the steroids if you have to, because it literally feels like your skin is crawling and it is miserable.

My oldest is allergic, it appeared one day suddenly after a dose, he'd taken it many times before but that was just it I guess. Benedryl didn't help, he started to have trouble breathing, so ended up in the er.

So far, its been taken very seriously- they ask at every check in for reception, every pharmacy, every lab. But he did get amoxicillin prescribed anyway last year- the pharmacist caught it! I didn't hear "penicillin" and just blithely left the dr with the script, thank goodness for pharmacists, eh!

We got Ds a bracelet after that.

I'm allergic to codiene, penicillin, and sulfa drugs, I am hoping Ds will stop with just the penicillin.

My oldest DS is allergic to amoxicillin/penicillin. As far as we know it's the only thing he's allergic to other than some pollens. We found out when he was 18 months old. He's 17 now and it hasn't been an issue at all, although that's in large part due to the fact that he rarely gets sick.

DS and I are both allergic to all penicillin products. They are pretty easy to avoid, and we have no problems with antibiotics in other families. I have it on my medic alert bracelet, but only b/c I was ordering one for something else more serious (we both only have mild reactions, so far) and just added it on. I have never bought one for DS.

Well, that doctor should NOT have been prescribing a penicillin drug for mono anyway. You will get a spectacular rash if you take penicillin when you have it. And there are so many alternatives to penicillin drugs that is simply isn't a big deal. I'm allergic to penicillin, too, and my go-to drug for infections is Cefdinir. Works great!

That was me -- huge red welts all over. No dr. Has ever been willing to give me penicillin since. They tell me probably not allergic but lets be safe.

I am anaphylatic (sp?) allergic to the whole penicillin family, luckily I discovered it in the Hospital as I was being prepped for OP surgery. It is on all my medical records and Pharmacy info. (I really need to get a med alert bracelet, where is a good, inexpesive place to get one???)

FYI, I remember taking the pink penicillin when I was a kid, but when I asked, they said it must have been such a low dose I didn't react, but when I was older and with a higher dose I did. They asked if I got hives as a kid when I took it, but I don't remeber and my parents are gone so I can't ask them. So keep your eye out for more severe reactions.

My 5 year old had the same reaction a couple of years ago. Expect the hives to go on for a few days. Definitely put this on his bracelet. He's fine now, but the next time could be more extreme. I know, because I broke out in hives and then like a year later, my throat closed up on me with no hives. (That was me being stupid and not paying attention to all of the names of penicillin.)

My son can take other antibiotics, so don't despair. He is also my allergic one. Our results from the allergy clinic lately have thrown me for a complete loop!

I'm sorry you are getting hit with so many other things as well. NOT good timing!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My 2nd child had a major reaction to Penicillin and it was her 2nd round in a year. She had a yeast infection the first time. The second time she had huge red welts all over her body. It was so scary!! Benadryl helped. And of course the Ped. said stop the medicine. I am not sure she even needed it, but I was working and she was in daycare.

A few months later she developed a red bump on her finger and then more red, itchy bumps on her body in different locations.

A good friend who is a Physical Therapist and into natural cures, loaned me a book called: Super Immunity for your Child's health.

I took our dd 2 at the time back to the Ped. who said for me to put lotion on her. I did put lotion on her almost every day then.

He was clueless to what the book I had said about leaky gut, probiotics, and everything about Omega 3 deficiency.

I followed the book and put her on Probiotics, cut out sugar as much as possible, and used Evening Primrose oil (out of pills) to rub on her tummy daily. I also at the time started using Flax seed oil and flax seed ground up in drinks and some foods.

She healed up quickly. Thankfully she has not been sick much since I started staying home and is now 13 and I make sure to tell any Dr. if she needs an RX that she is allergic. For the most part we use Oil of Oregano, and Olive Leaf extract ( natural antibiotics, anti fungals) and we use Grape fruit seed extract too more often for maintenance.

She won't eat alot of fish, so I have made her take some kid fish oil pills in the past. I need to make her take cod liver oil pills now. We eat Wild caught Salmon and she won't eat it. It is harder to find wild caught fish around here now or I would try other fish. I may try the asian market.

My youngest *may* be allergic to Amoxicillin. It was never confirmed, but the doctor advised us to avoid it in the future. Through all our moves, I've always informed the doctor.

Since she visited the doctor for an ear infection this morning and the total for her non-amoxicillin script was $166 WITH insurance, I think this may be an extremely expensive allergy to *potentially* have.

I may invest seeing if we can verify the allergy. I don't mind paying the $$$s now, but I would hate to send a kid out into the world needing extremely inexpensive scripts without proof.

As you are finding, a penicillin allergy is amazingly common. I am allergic, as are two of my four kids. Sadly, I forgot which kid once at the doc and told them that my kid who was not allergic to penicillin WAS, causing him to be prescribed Omnicef. Later I had to correct this (sheepishly) and have the office take the penicillin allergy off his chart.

That was me -- huge red welts all over. No dr. Has ever been willing to give me penicillin since. They tell me probably not allergic but lets be safe.

If you had the rash while you had mono...you are most likely not allergic to penicillin. Your doc can test you to be sure. Rashes are extremely common while taking penicillin as a matter of course...5-10% of kids get them. It doesn't mean you have an allergy. The signs of a non-allergic rash are: pink or red splotches, stays on the trunk and face, appears five days into the medication, and typically lasts for three days. The signs of a penicillin allergy are: hives, itching, and the rash lasts longer than six days. In fact, with an allergy rash, you may need steroids to clear it up. The hives are very persistent. Mine lasted for three months.

[sigh]

Just got home from the doc's office with DS. He's allergic to amoxycillin - and covered in big, itchy hives. She says to avoid penicillin and augmentin in the future as well.

This is my allergic kiddo, so we have lots of allergies - but this is the first drug allergy.

Anything I need to know?

Between my mom's pneumonia, DD's strep, DS's strep/flu and hives... I am swinging from the end of a rope here!

No advice, just hang on, sweetie! ((((hugs)))

I have anaphylactic reactions to penicillin and almost all other antibiotics. The doctors just told me "don't ever get sick". I can take one family of antibiotics but we try to avoid using them if at all possible so I don't develop a serious reaction to that one as well.

Keep giving Benadryl even if the hives improve. My son is one of the 'lucky' 10% of people who is allergic to both Amoxicillin and Omnicef, and we found out the hard way the same week. Get your ds some sort of medical alert jewelry. A second reaction is nothing to play with! Because my ds had a 'second exposure' when he was given Omnicef to replace the amox. he had a horrible reaction. TMI...peeling skin and his skin turned purple and blue randomly for nearly a month. On a good note, that is the only family of antibiotics that my ds is allergic too, so he can take others without any issues, so one allergy does not mean an allergy to many of them. Every time he has to take an antibiotic I do stress over it though.

You have had a rough week. Chocolate and a good movie are in order tonight!

Wow, I had no idea this was so common! Thanks, everyone, for the info. I will add this to his medic alert bracelet - wonder if they make an extra large size??

Oh, for the PP who asked for a good place to buy a medic alert bracelet - I like Lauren's Hope (for myself). No link at the moment, but if you google you'll find it. For DS, we use the basic Medic Alert bracelet - the big one - because they keep a database with medical info and contact info in case DS gets separated from us while we are traveling, etc.

If you had the rash while you had mono...you are most likely not allergic to penicillin. Your doc can test you to be sure. Rashes are extremely common while taking penicillin as a matter of course...5-10% of kids get them. It doesn't mean you have an allergy. The signs of a non-allergic rash are: pink or red splotches, stays on the trunk and face, appears five days into the medication, and typically lasts for three days.

Definately with mono. It sounds more mono related but not sure. I have always thought I would try pcn if best cure. I do fine with keeflex. I will ask about being tested. I think the rash started 2 or 3 days after starting the script. My mom brought me home from college for the weekend and took me to doctor. Monday morning had me screaming at my roommate because I thought I had been bitten by bedbugs! Life went downhill from there. Hives were definately the worst on my thighs but I think all over. I know they were gone 2 weeks later but this was 30 years ago and I was so sick.

Thanks Spryte, I will google them. I just asked DH what I am allergic to and he didn't know! Plus most of the time it is just me with the kids, so they wouldn't remember most likely. I do have it written on a card in my wallet with my DL, but would feel better with one.

My DD got a rash (not hives) around a week after she started taking amox. I read that this is likely a side effect of the medication rather than an allergy, so it's good to see that confirmed here. I'll still make the doctor aware of it if a scrip is needed again. She's only ever needed antibiotics that one time so far.

My dd reacted to amoxicillin when she had it for the first time at 3 years old. She didn't react right away, but a week into the treatment she suddenly became covered in the worst rash I'd ever seen, literally from the top of her scalp to the soles of her feet she was completely covered, her face was swelled up and her skin was practically purple. I freaked, she didn't even resemble my child! I rushed her in to my dr and he took one look at her and said she is never to have penicillin again, wrote it inbred marker on the outside if her chart. She wears a medic alert bracelet. She has no other allergies, but has eczema that is sensitive to dairy and soy. My youngest also has a medic alert bracelet for severe food allergies (peanuts, milk, eggs, soy, sunflower, kiwi), he's never had prescription drugs, so I don't know if he'll have further allergies, I'm going to ask if they can test for it at our next allergy appointment.

My DD11 had a reaction when she was about 4. It took us a few times to figure it our because her rash would happen on the day after finishing her Rx.

The first few time we saw the ped. on duty and they were not sure what it was but when we finally saw her ped. (wise man who was my hubby's ped.) he stated that it was a classic amoxicillan rash and not to have her take it anymore. She has never had another reaction.

Jenn