Menu

Advice for visit to Alberta area - Jasper?

rhrice3

We are thinking of going in early June. We were looking at Banff and Jasper. My husband heard that Banff is now really populated and commercialized so we might prefer Jasper. Does anyone have experience with these areas?

We would hike, kayak, etc. We don't do amusement parks, shopping, etc.

Also, we were thinking of the islands off British Columbia? if anyone has experience doing some nice family activities there.

Thanks

ReneeR

Banff is pretty touristy, but still a lovely place to visit. If you're out hiking or kayaking, it hardly matters what the village is like. There are some really great restaurants there too.

The islands off of BC can also be touristy - depends on which ones you're looking to visit. Some are pretty isolated and therefore have fewer visitors.

If you are in Alberta it is worth a trip to Drumheller and the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology.

If you have boating experience the best way to experience the BC islands is to charter a boat for a few days. There are marine parks that are only accessible by boat.

There are a lot of beautiful areas for kayaking and hiking in BC. You can also go caving at the Horne Lake Caves on Vancouver Island.

I think you should skip the beautiful mountains and wildlife of Jasper and hit the other side of the province, Lloydminster area to be exact. Flat prairie, a town split in half with a provincial border, only 45 minutes from me :) haha

Both Banff and Jasper are tourist areas, both are beautiful but Jasper is my favorite by far. I agree you should check out drumheller

As for BC I used to go there every summer as a kid and have great memories of it, but it all depends on where you want to go. I used to go to courtney and victoria on the island. My folks and siblings often still head to penticton or cranbrook area each summer to vacation.

My only experience w/Jasper is through good memories of this old song. I'd go there for that reason alone! :001_smile:

Up in a meadow in Jasper Alberta

Two men and four ponies on a long lonesome ride

To see the high country and learn of her people

The ways that they lived there the ways that they died

And one is a teacher one a beginner

Just wanting to be there and wanting to know

And together they're trying to tell us a story

That should have been listened to long long ago

Now the life in the mountains is living in danger

From too many people too many machines

And the time is upon us today is forever

Tomorrow is just one of yesterday's dreams

Cold nights in Canada and icy blue winds

The man and the mountains are brothers again

Clear waters are laughing they sing to the sky

The Rockies are living they never will die

Up in a meadow in Jasper Alberta

Two men and four ponies on a long lonesome ride

our oldest lives in edmonton. i have never visited in june. i think it has something to do with mosquitoes and black flies.....

canadian banff touristy is not the same as disneyworld touristy, kwim? it is definitely worth seeing.

we love drumheller and the museum....

lake louise..... jasper.....

will think more.....

ann

our oldest lives in edmonton. i have never visited in june. i think it has something to do with mosquitoes and black flies.....

canadian banff touristy is not the same as disneyworld touristy, kwim? it is definitely worth seeing.

we love drumheller and the museum....

lake louise..... jasper.....

will think more.....

ann

I am originally from edmonton, and am back there often(1-2 times a month if not more). While the mosquitos are a pita, I have never had issues with flies. June in Edmonton is nice, though the festivals in the summer months are awesome.