Menu

Can we talk about dust?

mom31257

Okay, I'm tired of the amount of dust in my house. We have carpet and the "popcorn" ceilings, so I think both are making it worse. We don't have the money to change anything right now. I dust, and the next day it seems it's like I didn't even do it. We change the filter on our AC regularly. What can I do?

How are you dusting? If you're "dry dusting" with a plain rag or something similar, the cloth won't trap the dust, so the dust is simply dispersed into the air, destined to land again and repeat the cycle. Dusting with a barely damp cloth will trap more of the dust. This will give you a longer time between dustings. Also, make sure you vacuum furniture, window coverings, ceiling fans, return air thingamajigs, and any other dust catchers.

If you're already doing the above, then I would look at possible contributors to the problem. Outside conditions combined with drafty windows can be one scenario that causes more dust than usual, as can woodworking done in an attached garage or heating with an inefficient wood burning heat source. Search out any possible sources and see about stopping the dust before it makes it's way in, if possible.

How are you dusting? If you're "dry dusting" with a plain rag or something similar, the cloth won't trap the dust, so the dust is simply dispersed into the air, destined to land again and repeat the cycle. Dusting with a barely damp cloth will trap more of the dust. This will give you a longer time between dustings. Also, make sure you vacuum furniture, window coverings, ceiling fans, return air thingamajigs, and any other dust catchers.

If you're already doing the above, then I would look at possible contributors to the problem. Outside conditions combined with drafty windows can be one scenario that causes more dust than usual, as can woodworking done in an attached garage or heating with an inefficient wood burning heat source. Search out any possible sources and see about stopping the dust before it makes it's way in, if possible.

Thanks for the tips! I've done somewhat dry dusting for years using a swiffer duster that is supposed to trap it, but I'm wondering if it has. We also had a vacuum that we realized was putting dust back into the air after I used it outside in the car one time and could see the air around it so much clearer. We replaced it last fall. I know I don't vacuum the furniture enough. I will definitely look into vacuuming more things.

We got our ducts cleaned (not just dry vacuumed) and it really helped.

We are getting ours done in a couple weeks and really hoping it makes a difference.

Carpets are dust holders among other fabric things. Two of the 7 rooms in our house have carpet in addition to the stairs and hallway. The hard surfaced floors are much easier to clean, especially to the point of seeing and knowing you've actually removed the dust. Carpet - how do you know for sure you got it all? As we need to replace the carpets, it'll be with wood or laminate. Much easier to keep clean.

Also, does your vac have HEPA filters on it? May sound silly but it makes a difference.