Menu

Phillips Exeter Academy Mathematics Program (downloadable @ no cost)

Spy Car

I'm not sure if folks are aware, but the math program used at the ultra-elite prep school is available for free download on the Phillips Exeter website:

http://www.exeter.edu/academics/72_6539.aspx

I am far from expert with these materials (yet :D) but we've been playing around with problems from Mathematics 1. And love it!

The "learning through problem-solving" approach may appeal to those like challenging discovery style learning.

It looks pretty cool. No hand-holding.

Bill

Thanks a bunch Bill! :thumbup1:

I looked at it and see that Math 1 is very approachable for algebra 1 level kids, maybe even younger than that. It looks familiar...I think I've bookmarked this before but didn't explore it further because there don't seem to be solutions available. Am I missing a solutions link somewhere?

The side of me that loves exploring educational materials says thanks for sharing the link. The little pragmatic voice in the corner of my brain is saying "No, no, no, you do NOT need yet another math program. No. Stop right now. Don't go look."

I'm ignoring that voice. Cannot compete with the humming of the Hive :D

Thanks a bunch Bill! :thumbup1:

I looked at it and see that Math 1 is very approachable for algebra 1 level kids, maybe even younger than that. It looks familiar...I think I've bookmarked this before but didn't explore it further because there don't seem to be solutions available. Am I missing a solutions link somewhere?

I have been able to glean out a fair amount of problems for my 8.5 year old. Some problems he just doesn't have the computational chops for yet, but many of the logical and algebraic proplems in Mathematics 1 book (early part anyway) are doable.

Of course it is intended as a hard 9th Grade (and up series) so more appropriate for older kids. But I thought many of you might enjoy this discovery.

Don't know about answer keys.

Bill

I'd forgotten about these, but yes, these problem sets from Philip Exeter's 'Harkness Table' method of teaching are terrific! I printed most of them out long ago to use with my kids for enrichment. Their students learn by immersing themselves in hard problems (like AoPS); then they come to class and present & defend their solutions to their teacher and classmates. No one gets to just sit passively in those classes!

As for solutions, I never found them anywhere online.

...and it's really great to see you back on the boards again, Bill! :001_smile:

I'd forgotten about these, but yes, these problem sets from Philip Exeter's 'Harkness Table' method of teaching are terrific! I printed most of them out long ago to use with my kids for enrichment. Their students learn by immersing themselves in hard problems (like AoPS); then they come to class and present & defend their solutions to their teacher and classmates. No one gets to just sit passively in those classes!

As for solutions, I never found them anywhere online.

...and it's really great to see you back on the boards again, Bill! :001_smile:

Thank you Kathy :)

Bill

Even more exciting, Math 5 on the site is Discrete. I've learned a lot playing with that download.:-)

The strength of these is the fact that they're designed to be discussed with other people. That makes them great for cuddling on the couch with paper and pencil and doing math.

The drawback is that it doesn't provide enough drill-and-kill style practice problems for me to feel comfortable using it by itself. Things like laws of exponents, multiplying polynomials, and solving equations require practice, and lots of it (in addition to the conceptual understandings, of course). I assume the Exeter professors provide some of that practice in a format other than the textbook.

Did I mention I've really enjoyed the Discrete? I've kinda self-taught myself from just that one Exeter file, Google-searching when necessary, and some Martin Gardner readings.

I really like the idea of these problem sets - the way they integrate and progressively develop the concepts without too much repetition . I tried to use this as our main curriculum and, unfortunately, it was a fail. It required a fair amount of preparation on my part to see where the sets were going and to try to build the conceptual framework and then there was the lack of solution manual (wish I'd had the link above). Also the socratic type discussions that Exeter uses with these sets just doesn't translate that well to a single student situation - just not enough ideas or examples to play off of. Typical conversation with my ds on a new topic." Any ideas on this problem?" "No". "Does it remind you of any other problems we've done before?" "No". "How about one math.idea or operation that's going on here?" "Ummm"... Aarghh.. just not a good fit for us. However, I can still see it as a possible supplement later for reviewing concepts.

Just a note for anyone interested in using this. Each year, the Exeter staff reviews the sets and provides a commentary on them based on feedback from their classes. The commentary for 2011/12 is available here (see bottom of page for link) and actually provides a good deal of help in understanding the pedagogic purpose of many of the sets and common misconceptions of students.

Just a note for anyone interested in using this. Each year, the Exeter staff reviews the sets and provides a commentary on them based on feedback from their classes. The commentary for 2011/12 is available here(see bottom of page for link) and actually provides a good deal of help in understanding the pedagogic purpose of many of the sets and common misconceptions of students.

The link has been removed. Did anyone download it?

Found their Jan 2013 math club contest problems and solutions PDF http://csserver.exeter.edu/~mathclub/emc2/resources/emcc13all.pdf'>http://csserver.exeter.edu/~mathclub/emc2/resources/emcc13all.pdf

The links to 2010~2013 math club contests problems and solutions are on this page http://csserver.exeter.edu/~mathclub/emc2/

There are some 2013 winners from China.

Found their Jan 2013 math club contest problems and solutions PDF http://csserver.exet...s/emcc13all.pdf

The links to 2010~2013 math club contests problems and solutions are on this page http://csserver.exet...~mathclub/emc2/

There are some 2013 winners from China.

Thanks for this! This looks like fun!!! (Also, it appears that AoPS was a sponsor.)

Eta, last night dd worked some of the problems for fun :)