Menu

State standards for Social Studies

kjaye

I've been using myWorld grade 4 to teach my boys (8 and 10yo) Social Studies this year. I hate, hate, hate it! It is such a mish-mash of incomplete material that jumps all over the place. This is our first year homeschooling, so I felt like I needed to choose a program labeled as "social studies" to meet our state standards. Come to find out, this book isn't covering half of what we should be covering.

My questions for you all:

1. Do you try to follow your state's standards for the various subjects?

2. If not using an all-in-one "social studies" program, what do you make sure is covered (geography, history... )?

3. What do you use to accomplish question 2?

I'm trying to plan our curriculum for next year. I would like to find something that I can do with both of the boys that is hands on. My boys are "do-ers" and learn best with activities and projects, that don't include a lot of writing. I would also prefer something that is pretty laid out for me and not a lot of preparation on my part. I don't mind setting up projects, but I don't want to spend a lot of time searching out information and coming up with my own activities. Am I dreaming that something like this really exists? :001_huh:

I don't care what state standards are, after all, I homeschool with the intent of doing a better job than the schools. Plus, just as any homeschoolers are on different paths in terms of curriculum, so are schools in different states. So it's not as if my child would be the only one in the U.S. not learning what every other child that age is. Just as I don't ask the schools advice on how I homeschool, why would I care what they teach for social studies?

I do not follow state standards. We do history with mapwork. I've used Story of the World and Sonlight so far. Loved both. One is world history. The other covers world and US in different years (we're just using it for two years of US History before starting a 4 year world history cycle again).

States have standards???

:D

I guess that would be no, I didn't bother checking. It was irrelevant to me.

It's our first year. I'm so incredibly paranoid that I'm going to miss something. Here's hoping that year 2 will bring me a little peace and calm. Not likely. ;)

I think social studies is the subject that homeschoolers are most likely to want to do something other than state standards. They usually aren't trying to do less or more, just something different.

For a good portion of my boys' education, we were attending an ultra-conservative Mennonite church. Before, during and after that we were doing so much math, Bible, Greek and Latin there wasn't much time and energy for social studies texts. I didn't do anything like what was in the standards, and the boys tested very highly. My older son says almost all the social studies he uses as an adult he learned during morning worship.

Most state standards are pretty vague about social studies for elementary school. More specific for middle and high school, but for elementary school it's usually more like "understand the importance of civic participation" and "understand how geography affects communities" or something like that.

For next year, I'm trying to keep my town's standards in mind, in case I have to send her to public school. But beyond that, not really. I'm a history buff and love the WTM 4 year cycle thing, so we're going to start with Ancient History in 1st. I'm going to use Pandia Press's History Odyssey I think.

I've been using myWorld grade 4 to teach my boys (8 and 10yo) Social Studies this year. I hate, hate, hate it! It is such a mish-mash of incomplete material that jumps all over the place. This is our first year homeschooling, so I felt like I needed to choose a program labeled as "social studies" to meet our state standards. Come to find out, this book isn't covering half of what we should be covering.

My questions for you all:

1. Do you try to follow your state's standards for the various subjects?

2. If not using an all-in-one "social studies" program, what do you make sure is covered (geography, history... )?

3. What do you use to accomplish question 2?

I'm trying to plan our curriculum for next year. I would like to find something that I can do with both of the boys that is hands on. My boys are "do-ers" and learn best with activities and projects, that don't include a lot of writing. I would also prefer something that is pretty laid out for me and not a lot of preparation on my part. I don't mind setting up projects, but I don't want to spend a lot of time searching out information and coming up with my own activities. Am I dreaming that something like this really exists? :001_huh:

1. I don't follow our state's standards, but I try to make sure all of social studies is covered during each level of schooling (K-4, 5-8, 9-12)

2. Every year has looked different, but I do try to keep my overall plan for those years in my mind when planning and choosing curricula. For example, I hadn't done much geography before this year with ds in 4th, so I'm doing a world geography program in addition to history.

3. I plan out a few years at a time as far as what I want to cover in social studies and history. I usually choose history curricula first, then I add to it if needed for the rest of social studies. Some years, all I've used to cover social studies topics that would be included in state standards are some workbooks from school supply stores. I do standardized testing every other year, so I want those things covered on a regular basis.

If your boys love hands on, I would look at Homeschool in the Woods, especially the Time Traveler CDs. They look great, and I've spoken with a friend who says she enjoyed them a lot. I am planning on covering American History in one year next year with ds. I'm going to let him pick 2-3 of these for time periods that we can go more in-depth on and quickly cover the rest. I still want to include US Geography next year as well as some economics and government. He hasn't learned the states and capitals yet because we've been doing ancient and medieval history, so that's on the agenda.

For economics, I'm looking at using these books.

Comix Economix

Money Matters

The Story of Money

For government, I'm looking at this book, but I also have a middle school textbook.

The Everything American Government Book

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography is excellent to cover map skills and basic knowledge of geography.

I would never do my kids the disservice of teaching down to the disorganization and low bar set by our state standards.

Grab a copy of The Well Trained Mind and get Story of the World or History Odyssey (essentially a calendar of coordinating reading, discussion, maps, crafts, activities, etc) for history year by year, that you can still customize as you gain confidence.

1. I don't follow our state's standards, but I try to make sure all of social studies is covered during each level of schooling (K-4, 5-8, 9-12)

2. Every year has looked different, but I do try to keep my overall plan for those years in my mind when planning and choosing curricula. For example, I hadn't done much geography before this year with ds in 4th, so I'm doing a world geography program in addition to history.

3. I plan out a few years at a time as far as what I want to cover in social studies and history. I usually choose history curricula first, then I add to it if needed for the rest of social studies. Some years, all I've used to cover social studies topics that would be included in state standards are some workbooks from school supply stores. I do standardized testing every other year, so I want those things covered on a regular basis.

If your boys love hands on, I would look at Homeschool in the Woods, especially the Time Traveler CDs. They look great, and I've spoken with a friend who says she enjoyed them a lot. I am planning on covering American History in one year next year with ds. I'm going to let him pick 2-3 of these for time periods that we can go more in-depth on and quickly cover the rest. I still want to include US Geography next year as well as some economics and government. He hasn't learned the states and capitals yet because we've been doing ancient and medieval history, so that's on the agenda.

For economics, I'm looking at using these books.

Comix Economix

Money Matters

The Story of Money

For government, I'm looking at this book, but I also have a middle school textbook.

The Everything American Government Book

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography is excellent to cover map skills and basic knowledge of geography.

Thank you for answering my post so thoroughly. I appreciate your advice. I love the suggestion to check out library books to fill in the gaps. I'm very interested in SOTW, but had no idea how I could do that while covering economy, government, etc. I think I need "unschooling" more than my boys. I'm still very much in a public school frame of mind. :) Our state requires annual standardized testing, so I'm terrified that I'm going to miss something.

Grab a copy of The Well Trained Mind and get Story of the World or History Odyssey (essentially a calendar of coordinating reading, discussion, maps, crafts, activities, etc) for history year by year, that you can still customize as you gain confidence.

I haven't heard of World or History Odyssey. I'm going to check them out now!

Thank you for answering my post so thoroughly. I appreciate your advice. I love the suggestion to check out library books to fill in the gaps. I'm very interested in SOTW, but had no idea how I could do that while covering economy, government, etc. I think I need "unschooling" more than my boys. I'm still very much in a public school frame of mind. :) Our state requires annual standardized testing, so I'm terrified that I'm going to miss something.

You are welcome! I decided that I wanted to cover government more so the years I'm doing American history. I was concerned about ds doing well on the ITBS Social studies in 2nd grade because the questions seemed difficult paired with their picture answers. The only true social studies prep I had done before the test was reading through an older elementary social studies textbook and a social studies test prep workbook. I was surprised when he got every question right.

Don't let testing scare you, though! It is only one measure of what your kids know. For some kids, testing is easy and for others it is difficult. I think one thing is to not show them how you feel about it, but make it fun and special days. They'll do better if you are all relaxed!

I can assure you that SOTW will cover geography, history, civics, economy, and government and in a way that actually makes sense: chronologically.

Here is my SOTW advice: Get the cd's. THat Jim Weiss is so fun to listen to. We listen to our chapters in the car as we are out and about. They get so much more out of it that way. Also, the activity guide is a must! It has mapwork, games, and other activities plus book lists that coordinate with each chapter, copywork, review questions, and ideas for hands on activities like how to mummify a chicken or how to eat like a monk with recipes. My kids use good quality watercolor pencils to color in their maps and then paint over them to make them pretty. HEHE. There are also corresponding page numbers for the usborne and kingfisher encyclopedias.

One of the worst things that ps does is teach history out of time and out of context. With your kids you could do all 4 years of sotw and still follow the public school model of history through high school so that colleges will have the classes they want on your kids transcripts. You won't be sorry!

Welcome to hs! I remember the day that I chucked the ps text I was using for history and ordered sotw. I could NEVER go back now.

Our state requires annual standardized testing, so I'm terrified that I'm going to miss something.

I just looked at the HSLDA info on MN, and while you have to use a standardized test, you do not have to report the results to the school district. So I don't think you have to worry. It sounds like you can completely bomb the test and be just fine (though I doubt your child would bomb the test). You only report which test you're planning to use. So you can list SAT10, ITBS, CAT, etc. Take the test. Go on your merry way.

You may find that your child does just as well on the standardized test as the public school kids do, even though you're doing something completely different. ;) I know my son knows waaaaaay more history than his public school counterparts. And when he was in K and 1st, "social studies" consisted of things like learning what a neighborhood is, what firemen, EMTs, and policemen are, etc. Those are things that he learned at preschool age just by living life with me and talking about the world around him. So really, I would not at all be concerned about "social studies". :)

Have you read The Well Trained Mind book yet? Your library may have it if you don't own it. It might help break you out of the public school mindset. :)

Another thing is that the states usually add a component of state history. So how can that be implemented practically? Take them to your state's historic sites as field trips. Take a couple photographs. Have a talk about them each time you return. As they get older, have them write a short report. I found a coloring book about our state, and we use that too, including inspiration for some more obscure sites in the state. :coolgleamA:

Yeah I always feel weird about that. I don't consider NY my state. I didn't grow up here.

I suppose we luck out with NY though because NY Is often talked about in general US history.

Funny how two folks can look at the same thing differently. I consider every state I've lived in mine! So, we'll do NY, CT and PA history too. Basically, I like coloring and short road trips. :D

I suppose we luck out with NY though because NY Is often talked about in general US history.

Even here in AL, the parts of "AL History" that I learned in school was mostly stuff you'd learn in general US History anyway: cotton gin, plantations, civil war stuff, civil rights movement, Rosa Parks, etc.

Maybe if you're in a really obscure state, you might have to look harder for state history in your US History... :tongue_smilie:

Have you read The Well Trained Mind book yet? Your library may have it if you don't own it. It might help break you out of the public school mindset. :)

I just picked it up from the library! I'm slowly coming to the realization that the books that are used in public schools are NOT conducive to learning. I can see how kids' love of learning is squashed. The social studies text that we're using is so general and goes into nothing in great detail. My boys have had so many questions, but we kept pushing through to get to the next chapter. Forget it. We're scrapping this text and going to make social studies fun and worthwhile!

FWIW, I decided to administer the Social Studies subtest on the ITBS this year because there is a chance we may not be able to continue HS past this year (fingers crossed that it won't come to that!) and I wanted to have a composite score on record. She scored in the 89th percentile on that subtest even with us following TWTM instead of our state SS standards. They had some really random questions on the ITBS, such as why the Japanese build their shopping malls underground (DD guessed it was to reduce pollution rather than due to a lack of available space).

I divide "social studies" into individual subjects:

World History

American History

Geography

Civics/Government

State history/knowledge

Basic Economics

I do my own program, which is quite a bit advanced past state standards.

However, I absolutely pay attention to my state's standards and make sure the material is covered within my program. The material may not be covered in exactly the same order or timeframe, but it will be covered in roughly the same ages/grades. *I second the recommendation for Studies Weekly. That has all of the state standards specific to my state in a fun, newspaper form which my kids generally enjoy. You may want to look at that to see if it will meet your needs.

Many homechoolers (as evidenced by this thread) choose not to follow state standards or not even to know what they are. However, this could present a significant problem in the case of children who homeschool and then for whatever reason need to enter/re-enter the school system. A friend of mine who has homeschooled from the beginning just recenly put two of her kids into public school. The reason was that she has health problems and is overwhelmed by caring for the younger children. Those parents didn't plan to send their kids to public school, but now they have for reasons they did not forsee. The result is that the children are behind (according to the state's standards) and need remedial instruction in various areas. Had the parents paid attention to the state standards and made some effort to cover the material (which is not difficult to do), the kids likely would not have been "behind."

Why intentionally plan for your kids to be "behind" in the school system's eyes? Why not make the minimal effort it takes to cover the curriculum of the school system as well as your own curriculum (in social studies or any other subject). I purposely make it a priority to keep up with the state standards because I want my kids to be advanced not only according to my rigorous standards, but also according the standards of the world in which they will re-enter at some point.

I don't see how you can be behind in social studies, and I strongly doubt the school system would know or care. Different states teach different things at different times, it is NOT reviewed year to year so kids remember long term. I have a hard time believing a homeschooled child would have any problem jumping into public school social studies.

Now in skill subjects like math, reading, and writing, the school will notice deficiencies. But a content subject? Doubtful.

The one thing I could see possibly being a problem is in the middle school years where my state *FINALLY* starts doing history chronologically. A kid jumping into the 2nd half of U.S. history in 5th without having previously covered the 1st part or into medieval & early modern history in 7th without having previously covered ancients might feel a bit lost. But for those of us who follow TWTM cycle, I seriously doubt that would be a major problem.

The one thing I could see possibly being a problem is in the middle school years where my state *FINALLY* starts doing history chronologically. A kid jumping into the 2nd half of U.S. history in 5th without having previously covered the 1st part or into medieval & early modern history in 7th without having previously covered ancients might feel a bit lost. But for those of us who follow TWTM cycle, I seriously doubt that would be a major problem.

I've probably already covered those time periods more in depth than my local schools do, and my kid is only in third grade.

I divide "social studies" into individual subjects:

World History

American History

Geography

Civics/Government

State history/knowledge

Basic Economics

I do my own program, which is quite a bit advanced past state standards.

However, I absolutely pay attention to my state's standards and make sure the material is covered within my program. The material may not be covered in exactly the same order or timeframe, but it will be covered in roughly the same ages/grades. *I second the recommendation for Studies Weekly. That has all of the state standards specific to my state in a fun, newspaper form which my kids generally enjoy. You may want to look at that to see if it will meet your needs.

Many homechoolers (as evidenced by this thread) choose not to follow state standards or not even to know what they are. However, this could present a significant problem in the case of children who homeschool and then for whatever reason need to enter/re-enter the school system. A friend of mine who has homeschooled from the beginning just recenly put two of her kids into public school. The reason was that she has health problems and is overwhelmed by caring for the younger children. Those parents didn't plan to send their kids to public school, but now they have for reasons they did not forsee. The result is that the children are behind (according to the state's standards) and need remedial instruction in various areas. Had the parents paid attention to the state standards and made some effort to cover the material (which is not difficult to do), the kids likely would not have been "behind."

Why intentionally plan for your kids to be "behind" in the school system's eyes? Why not make the minimal effort it takes to cover the curriculum of the school system as well as your own curriculum (in social studies or any other subject). I purposely make it a priority to keep up with the state standards because I want my kids to be advanced not only according to my rigorous standards, but also according the standards of the world in which they will re-enter at some point.

I love your approach and everything you said. I don't intend to send my kids back to public school, but I don't want to rule out the possibility. My 10yo ds is on the autism spectrum and receives services through the school district still. I feel like everyone that works with him is judging my decision to homeschool. Of course, it doesn't matter what they think, because I know he is far better off at home. Still, it stresses me out, so I want to make sure I'm dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's. ;)

Studies Weekly looks awesome. For our state (and maybe for most), they supposedly cover 59% of the standards. Score!

Wow, I'd never heard of Studies Weekly. I'm really impressed. I've been looking at the samples for all the grades. They really cover a lot of stuff, and some of it is pretty sophisticated. I remember getting Weekly Reader, but I don't remember it having much information in it. Thanks for that suggestion!

I love your approach and everything you said. I don't intend to send my kids back to public school, but I don't want to rule out the possibility. My 10yo ds is on the autism spectrum and receives services through the school district still. I feel like everyone that works with him is judging my decision to homeschool. Of course, it doesn't matter what they think, because I know he is far better off at home. Still, it stresses me out, so I want to make sure I'm dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's. ;)

Studies Weekly looks awesome. For our state (and maybe for most), they supposedly cover 59% of the standards. Score!

FWIW I homeschool my autistic dd. She would be getting NOTHING out of ps because she can't handle being in a classroom setting. She goes to class once a week and the entire class time is taken up dealing with her anxieties and behaviors. Even with hour upon hour of behavior techs and therapists in my home and outside therapy appointments, behavior issues, etc my dd is 3 years ahead of grade level in reading, 1 in math, and at least on grade level in other subjects. I can work with her one on one to help her excel where she is excellent and to help her catch up where she is behind. Her school district, because she is autistic, does not care about her academics or where she is at but is very concerned about her behavior. Because she is diagnosed with autism the state lets them off as far as academics go. But I care!!! She is super smart and because I hs she is learning.

Good for you and welcome to the hive!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm I think you have it backwards ;). Without any reference to any standards, I gave my kids the Stanford Achievement Test, cold-- no test prep, knowing there were entire areas we had not yet formally covered because of our planned sequence.

They both blew the thing out of the water by several grade levels in every area-- even my special needs student.

If you homeschool your children well, and foster a healthy sense of curiosity (ie they are reading and playing on their own time in areas you haven't yet even covered just because it's cool) there is no chance your child will be behind any PS kid. My kids are learning how to think, analyze, read critically, and make real connections among all their subject areas. We school in a manner that makes sense and has order, not the chaos imposed by teaching down to the state "standards." Hence, no matter what we cover, my kids will be ahead of their PS peers.

Why raise the bar by teaching in an organized, logical fashion, then screw everything up by failing to stick with the plan by tossing out random information that is completely disconnected, so that your kids can benchmark to a far inferior system? Frankly, the states set the bar so low that you kind of have to make an effort not to be ahead even after a pretty short time homeschooling.

No, not following state guidelines s not planning to fail. It is freeing your kids from an anchor.