Menu

Singapore Standards or Math in Focus

PandaMom

I am looking for some opinions on Singapore Standards vs. Math in Focus Grade 1. My DD is 7(8 on Sunday) and was adopted from China at 13 months. She was severely developmentally delayed. She has several diagnoses including PDD-NOS with Features of Asperger's, Expressive Language Delay and Cognitive Delays with Working Memory Difficulty. She likes math and I think will be quite good at it once we get her over a few major hurdles. She has a tendency to see that there is one right way to arrive at an answer and doesn't grasp abstract concepts. If she understands something she can pick up on it right away. I am looking at the Standards Edition and thinking there is no way she is going to be able to handle it right now. After reading through old posts I am now looking at Math in Focus and wondering if it might be better for her. I want for her to be challenged but Standards will frustrate her too much and end up causing major meltdowns. I think with math, she needs to be able to see what she is working on insead of me just trying to explain it to her. I have also been thinking about Horizons Math. I'm just so tired of buying curriculum only to find it doesn't work :(

Susie

DD(7)

I think the content taught is the same in both. MIF just has more activities in the student text, whereas in PM, they're in the HIG. That would make the presentation to the student a bit different, of course.

Either way you go, use manipulatives and let her use them as long as she needs them. I use C-rods with PM Standards for my VSL kid. They've been wodnerful.

Have you looked at the MIF publisher's website? They let you look through the FULL contents of every book, so you can really dig in and see if it might be a better choice (and it certainly might!). Maybe give it a test run online and see if she understands the way they present it.

I was just looking into this yesterday. We have been using Standards for dd for a year now and I love it however, it just didn't seem to click with dd. I looked into MIF and I was thrilled. I really like that the text lays out the steps very clearly. I just bought Standards 1B but after looking into MIF we decided to go with MIF for our new school year (which starts in April). I purchased them last night and am very excited for dd to start. I really hope it makes a difference for her! I didn't purchase the teacher's guide, do I need it?

I was just looking into this yesterday. We have been using Standards for dd for a year now and I love it however, it just didn't seem to click with dd. I looked into MIF and I was thrilled. I really like that the text lays out the steps very clearly. I just bought Standards 1B but after looking into MIF we decided to go with MIF for our new school year (which starts in April). I purchased them last night and am very excited for dd to start. I really hope it makes a difference for her! I didn't purchase the teacher's guide, do I need it?

Not in my opinion. I've used Grades 1, 2, and am starting 3 with no teacher's guides. Everything you need is in the student book.

Not in my opinion. I've used Grades 1, 2, and am starting 3 with no teacher's guides. Everything you need is in the student book.

I'm glad to hear that considering the TG's are really expensive! Do you have your child take tests? If so, what do you use? We are currently using the Standards tests but I don't know what to do once we switch to MIF.

I'm glad to hear that considering the TG's are really expensive! Do you have your child take tests? If so, what do you use? We are currently using the Standards tests but I don't know what to do once we switch to MIF.

The workbook has the tests in it. The review for the test is in the textbook. Starting in third grade the tests are in the textbook as well.

Echoing Boscopup I would urge you to add Cuisenaire Rods to which ever of the Singapore math programs you choose. By playing with these manipulatives the multiple ways of problem solving taught in this style of math are removed from being "abstract" (and pictorial) concepts and instead become a "hands on" concrete form of learning.

To get a quick overview of how C Rods work in practice search for the excellent videos called "Education Unboxed" produced by WTM board member "Rosie." They do a great job showing C Rods in action.

Also consider the Miquon Math Lab materials. They make an outstanding compliment to Singapore style math. It is very "developmental" and play based. And the 3 teachers books; First Grade Diary, Lab Annotations, and Notes to Teachers, give a wealth of Math re-education for parent/teachers. It is exactly the sort of program I believe would help ease you and your daughter into Singapore math, and eliminate any "shock."

I lead into Primary Mathematics SE using Miquon with my son and I believe it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. By the time he hit number bonds in PM he already had the concept wired from the "play" he'd had using the Miquon Math Lab. This combination of Miquon and Singapore has a legion of fans because the two programs are so synergistic. Miquon excels at making the material in Singapore math very comprehensible to young minds, and is a great way to build confidence going in.

Best wishes,

Bill

You can buy the MIF TMs used on Amazon.

I contacted MIF to find out when you would hit algebra I because it is not clear in their sequence. They said it would not be until after Course 3 (the 3rd middle school course), so you wouldn't get to algebra I until 9th grade unless you accelerated the other levels. They said the middle school levels of MIF do a good job of introducing the algebra concepts, but students would still need to take algebra I afterwards. So the pace seems to be slower than Singapore PM.

One other difference I've noted between the two is that MIF does not teach mental math strategies until 3rd grade, whereas Singapore PM starts them in 1st grade. However, MIF teaches the bar modeling starting in 2nd grade and it is spread out across multiple areas, including the various measurement and money sections. Singapore PM doesn't introduce it until 3rd grade and I believe it is contained to only a few chapters that are specifically teaching the method, rather than applying it across other areas.

Regarding testing, MIF has an additional assessments book, but it is multiple choice and for practice taking standardized tests.

Have you looked at Math U See?

HTH,

Kathy

You can buy the MIF TMs used on Amazon.

I contacted MIF to find out when you would hit algebra I because it is not clear in their sequence. They said it would not be until after Course 3 (the 3rd middle school course), so you wouldn't get to algebra I until 9th grade unless you accelerated the other levels. They said the middle school levels of MIF do a good job of introducing the algebra concepts, but students would still need to take algebra I afterwards. So the pace seems to be slower than Singapore PM.

One other difference I've noted between the two is that MIF does not teach mental math strategies until 3rd grade, whereas Singapore PM starts them in 1st grade. However, MIF teaches the bar modeling starting in 2nd grade and it is spread out across multiple areas, including the various measurement and money sections. Singapore PM doesn't introduce it until 3rd grade and I believe it is contained to only a few chapters that are specifically teaching the method, rather than applying it across other areas.

Regarding testing, MIF has an additional assessments book, but it is multiple choice and for practice taking standardized tests.

Have you looked at Math U See?

HTH,

Kathy

The bolded is not true. The first chapter on mental math strategies is found in 1B (chapter 14).and there is another chapter on it in 2B (chapter 10).

Thanks, Chelli. I completely missed these two sections when flipping through the virtual sample. I have the 2A TM here and knew I hadn't seen it in there, but missed it looking at the rest online. Thanks for correcting me. :) I'm glad to know there is some coverage in both levels.

Kathy

I so agree with Bill! To implement SM correctly you will be using manipulatives at the beginning of each new concept. You should take a look at the teacher's manual and not just the workbooks because the manual lays out how to teach with the manipulatives. If it helps my dd8 has autism and is doing very well with Singapore standards edition. Manipulatives are key! Once she has them down she understands the other ways Singapore is teaching the lessons. Good luck to you and bless you for choosing to mother a sn kid!