Menu

Brainstorming Chore lists--help me out?

MamaSheep

I need chores. Lots of chores. (For the kids, not for me ;) )

Chores have always been somewhat problematic around here. Part of the problem is that ds is autistic and dd has ADHD so neither of them fits well with standard "age-appropriate" tactics and I have to feel my way along most of the time. Also, the word "chores" triggers a deep-seated genetically-based (they get it from their father...ahem...couldn't be from me...cough) negative reaction to being told what to do, and every time I set up chore lists everyone in the house starts undermining the whole system.

That being the case, I have abandoned the idea of chore lists for several years and focused instead on things like "building good habits" (like brushing your teeth, putting your dirty clothes in the basket, etc.) and "helping cheerfully" when mom asks you to do something (like empty the dishwasher or set the table). For some reason that has worked out a lot better around here than having chore lists, even though it's a bit less organized and relies heavily on Mom to decide what habit to work on next and which household tasks kids could be asked to help with today (because ability levels around here swing wildly from day to day depending on the weather, how everyone slept, and the equilibrium of various digestive tracts...or whatever). And then we just gave the kids a little allowance so they could practice managing money.

But lately things have been in a bit of upheaval around here and I'm re-thinking how a lot of things get done. For various reasons I've been remembering a little "Family Store" that we used to have when ds was little, before dd was old enough to care much about such things. I made "money" for it, one bill denomination with each family member's face on it. Our last name starts with a B, so they were "B----- Bucks". And then I had a little set of plastic drawers with stuff in them that could be bought with the "B---- Bucks". Small toys, candy, stickers, a card that could be redeemed for 15 minutes of Mom's time doing whatever you want---that sort of thing. The items increased in value from the bottom drawer to the top drawer, so if you wanted the really good stuff you had to save up.

At the time, we were focused on getting ds to behave in a reasonably civilized manner (ahem....autism) so he got "B---- Bucks" for behaving appropriately, and could be "fined" for egregiously inappropriate behavior.

I'm thinking lately that I want to find a way to encourage the kids to actually VOLUNTEER to help out around here, and not just wait for me to ask them to do something. They are pretty cheerful about helping when asked, and that's nice, but I want to kick 'em up another notch, if I can. So I'm thinking I'll reinstate the store, and just post a big list of chores people can do to earn "B----- Bucks". These will be things I won't TELL them to do, but which they can get a small reward for VOLUNTEERING to do. I will continue to ask them to help with various things around the house, but they won't get "paid" to do the things I ask them to do, or the things they should be doing habitually like brushing their teeth. (The value of B--- Bucks, btw, has no real-world relationship to actual currency. The price of items in the family store relates more to their level of desirability than to their actual cost. In case you were wondering why I don't just give them real money. It costs me less this way in the long run. And as an added advantage, every time they start begging me for something I can put it in the family store and let them work to earn it.)

Anyway, the upshot being I need to compile a good list of chores to post, and it's something I haven't done for such a long time that I find myself a little at loose ends. So I come to the hive mind seeking chores for a 10yo and a 15yo, and maybe a few "younger" tasks for those days when "our" developmental level doesn't match "our" chronological age.

What've ya got for me?

Empty dishwasher

Dust

Wipe baseboards

Empty all trash

Clean under sofa cushions

Vacuum stairs

Wipe walls

Wipe countertops

Bring all dirty clothes to laundry room

Feed and water pets

Water plants

Sweep porch

Sweep kitchen floor

Iron shirts

Laundry

Clean garbage cans

Organize books

Shake out rugs

Put away misc toys and tools

Make dinner

Wipe light switches

Wipe doors

Clean windows

Clean mirrors

Organize shoes by back door

Deadhead plants outside

Clean kitchen floor

Make beds

Change sheets

Whew.

Claire's list is awesome, and pretty much covers it all!

If I had to add anything, it'd be related to meals. I have one who likes to cook and another who likes to eat but hates to cook. Between them, they plan lunches and snacks, then generate a shopping list of anything they need that isn't already in the fridge or pantry. And they cook, too.

I have my younger ones generate lists, too. Most often it's for hygiene supplies, and it's their responsibility to (once a week, the day before I shop) run through the bathrooms notifying me of anything we're low on or out of. If it works better for your kids, a standard computer-generated checklist could be handed out and they can check anything on there that is low or out. I have mine just write it out. Takes them longer, and that few extra minutes of not having them chattering in my ear is too necessary for me to mess with LOL.

Chores that are less frequently needed might include:

organizing CDs/DVDs

cleaning out and re-organizing linen or coat closets

sorting through bedroom closets, toy rooms, bookshelves to fill donation box

cleaning baseboards, ceiling fans, and air vents

vacuuming drapes and upholstery

the ever-popular cleaning grout LOL