Menu

Looking for ladies dress sneakers, do they exist?

bnbacademy

I have been searching a long time for that sneaker that looks like a shoe. Or that ever so elusive COMFORTABLE shoe to wear with sweaters, blouses, etc. I actually wear sneakers most of the time, and I am fully aware that it is completely unacceptable. I just cannot sacrifice comfort for fashion, and I cannot find what I am looking for. I'm looking for a shoe that is as comfortable as a sneaker, for everyday wear. Does this exist? Has anyone seen this?

I've been buying this oxford in both black and brown since I started college in 2000. My new best friend was aghast that I would wear sneakers with my jeans to class and recommended them. I now find them just as comfy as sneakers and wear them all the time unless I'm actually working out or playing at the park with my son. I've also bought the same style at Kmart and been just as happy with them.

Ummmm, what's your price point? I'm with you on the never wanting to sacrifice comfort for fashion.

Well, I have been accused of being frugal :). But I can not put a price on comfort and would be willing to spend money on a great shoe, if it met the criteria.

I'm with you on the comfort aspect, with the additional requirements of needing flats and a wide width (really, WW if you come down to it, my sneakers are men's W, which is wider than a woman's), which look decent with long skirts. Anything like that for under $30? :smilielol5:

I'm usually okay once the weather warms up enough for sandals, but I have very little for winter other than my standard sneakers and short white socks (how fashionable is that?) for everyday wear.

I have been searching a long time for that sneaker that looks like a shoe. Or that ever so elusive COMFORTABLE shoe to wear with sweaters, blouses, etc. I actually wear sneakers most of the time, and I am fully aware that it is completely unacceptable. I just cannot sacrifice comfort for fashion, and I cannot find what I am looking for. I'm looking for a shoe that is as comfortable as a sneaker, for everyday wear. Does this exist? Has anyone seen this?

I just ordered these from Title Nine: http://www.titlenine.com/product/909104.do?from=ac

OK, this is what I wear as one (small) step up from athletic shoes:

http://www.zappos.com/mephisto-laser-navy-nubuck

Nordstrom had them in the stores about a year ago, when I bought mine, and still has them on the website. They might still have them in the stores. They look a little nicer than the picture. I usually do OK with Merrells and Keens (but can't get past the clown shoe look on the Keens). I have a wide-ish foot, high arches, and admittedly no great fashion sense :-). But I really like my blue Mephisto lasers and wear them most days.

Good luck... if you find a shoe you like, please let us know.

Thank you for your suggestions. Some of the stores are not local for me, and I would hesitate to buy online without trying them on. I think I must have asymmetrical feet; because some styles, like slip-ons, are loose on one foot and fit correctly on the other. Wierd, I know.

Well, there really isn't such a thing as "dress sneakers," lol, but I know what you mean. I have this pair of Rykas; they have all the support I need, they're comfortable, and I can wear them with nice pants and sweaters and whatnot.

Oh, and FTR, when I ordered them, the first pair was too small, and I boxed 'em up and sent them back to exchange for the next size. Easy peasy.

Thank you for your suggestions. Some of the stores are not local for me, and I would hesitate to buy online without trying them on. I think I must have asymmetrical feet; because some styles, like slip-ons, are loose on one foot and fit correctly on the other. Wierd, I know.

Do you have Sears? They carry the Timberland Pro Renova. They make them in white for nurses, which should tell you how comfortable they are. I have them in brown leather. Some are more decorative than others. They are extremely comfortable shoes with lots of support.

http://www.altrec.com/timberland-pro/womens-renova-professional-ii-slip-on-shoes/

Do you have Sears? They carry the Timberland Pro Renova. They make them in white for nurses, which should tell you how comfortable they are. I have them in brown leather. Some are more decorative than others. They are extremely comfortable shoes with lots of support.

http://www.altrec.co...-slip-on-shoes/

Love the embossed style! As a nurse, I never thought of looking for nurses' shoes for everyday wear.

I've worn out two pairs of these shoes (in 9 years):

http://www.zappos.com/allrounder-by-mephisto-niro-black-suede-mesh

I've found some cute, comfy shoes on this blog:

http://barkingdogshoes.com/

Skechers GOwalks are really comfortable and not insanely expensive:

http://www.skechers.com/style/13510/skechers-gowalk/gry

Crocs has some new styles that could work.

What about boots to wear with skirts?

I just bought these and love them:

http://m.zappos.com/ahnu-gracie-new-black

They have several cute shoes in their line.

BTW, Zappos has free shipping both ways and super fast refunds. I use them all the time. I'll purchase several pairs, keep one or two (or, uh, three. . .) and ship the rest back. It's so much easier to drop off a box with a prepaid label at UPS than it is to find time to shoe shop or drag kids with me!

Another vote for SAS shoes. I have to wear orthotics in most of my shoes, so sneaker-types shoes are all that work. SAS has shoes that are as comfortable as a sneaker, but look much dressier. I wear the traveler right now, but like the support of a boot, so am saving up for a pair of Alpines ... I tend to be rather frugal as well, and will wait until my next trip to San Antonio to hit the factory store (they have a great free tour that my dc love).

I have some ECCO shoes that look at least "nice casual" -- These are the ones I have:

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-vibration-ii-toggle-black-black-fabric

They are pricy, but I've had them for three years and they still look good. (I did have to replace the toggle once when my puppy chewed it off! :)

Also, www.zappos.com lets you order a variety of shoes, try them on for size, and return them -- no charge for postage either way. (The downside of zappos is that they never have sales!)

I wear sneakers or SAS shoes. Nothing else.

Oh, thank you for posting this link. I haven't bought a pair of SAS shoes in 13 or 14 years, but wow, they've introduced some new styles since then. For a while they had very little in attractive shoes. The ones I bought were the Freetime, and I have them in several colors. But I need a dressier shoe, and there are some out now that I would consider. At one time one of the guys working there pretty much said they would never have something like the Maria, so I'm excited to see that.

Incidentally, for various reasons I haven't bought SAS shoes in a while. However, I must say that my old black Freetime shoes lasted more than a decade with heavy use. In fact, if I got new laces and polished them, I could still wear them. I wore them until last year, but stopped because I need to re-lace them. They are now scuffed up pretty badly, too, but they never got a hole, never needed a new sole, and the stitching is still intact. They are very expensive, but if they last that long, they end up being a bargain.

I think I will hit the outlet again soon!

Having one foot slightly larger than the other is perfectly normal! As for wearing sneakers w/ jeans- that's perfectly acceptable too! They're all I wear. :D (I also have extremely large feet, and buy mens shoes because women's are all too small)

Well, there really isn't such a thing as "dress sneakers," lol, but I know what you mean. I have this pair of Rykas; they have all the support I need, they're comfortable, and I can wear them with nice pants and sweaters and whatnot.

Oh, and FTR, when I ordered them, the first pair was too small, and I boxed 'em up and sent them back to exchange for the next size. Easy peasy.

I like these! I'm guessing they run a bit small? I wonder if they would fit me? I'm not a shoe person, but these are cute!

Zappos and Shoebuy.com will send you shoes and let you return them without paying shpping to return.

I have many times ordered several sizes/widths of the same shoe, tried them on and sent back what doens't work.

I have a friend who was hospitalized with a severe ( think life threatening) infection in her leg. She needed shoes but was totally unable to get to the store. I ordered several pairs and then returned what didn't work

Try it! They're awesome!

I don't think anybody has mentioned Dansko or the other clog brands. I have a pair of Ariat clogs that are super-cute & comfortable. http://www.amazon.co...rds=ariat clogs

Also, www.zappos.com lets you order a variety of shoes, try them on for size, and return them -- no charge for postage either way. (The downside of zappos is that they never have sales!)

I second (or third) the Zappos recommendation. Endless.com (which is now amazon.com/fashion) has been great for free shipping & refunds, too. I try to stick with those two, or Nordstrom sales. I tried another online retailer - I don't remember if it was shoes.com or shoebuy.com, but whichever it was took a LONG time to show the return as received and process the refund. I was getting nervous (even though I could see from the shipper that the return had been delivered).

Oh, I like those, and they are reasonably priced! I might try them. :)

Zappos has sales all the time :). They'll even refund the difference if the shoes go on sale within ten days after you buy them!

Jumping in here as I need some better shoes too. I have Brooks Dyad tennis shoes with custom orthodics and my horse back riding boots but need something for dressier occassions......yet is comfortable and I can put my orthodics in............and yet not look 85 years old.

Have you tried looking at Rocket Dog shoes? They have some nicer looking ones, and some more casual ones, and I find their shoes to be VERY comfortable. :)

I have a pair of these and they are fine for errands or whatever, but I can't wear them for something like a day of shopping. They do not have enough support. More info: I spent *lots* of time in jobs standing on my feet in my younger days, I run, I broke my foot 18 months ago and I am in my early forties,