Menu

Homeschooling with the CNED

Guest merylkatz

Guest merylkatz

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have 3 children, a 10 yr old daughter and 6 year old twins. My children have attended Lycee Francais de San Francisco since preschool. My daughter is currently in 5th grade (CM2) and the twins are in Kindergarten (Grand Section Maternelle). We are planning on taking a year off and sailing, neither my husband or I are French speakers. My children are all fluent in French and have only known the French Educational system.

I would like for them to hopefully return to their school after we finish sailing. I am planning on homeschooling them and would like to use the CNED. My french is spotty at best. My questions are:

- I've been on the site and I'm not sure how it works

- how do you sign up? are you monitored? are there just tests at certain points to track progress?

- We live in California, I've been looking into how to homeschool here and you either need to register as a school, work with a curriculum, or be a teacher. Does anyone know if working with the CNED would count as the working with a curriculm? I would like to avoid having to teach the kids a full American curriculum and a full French curriculum.

- Does anyone know of, or is this it, english speaking support groups for parents teaching the CNED

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Meryl

I think it would be hard to do if the parents don't speak French....or can you read it since you were able to look at their website?

I don't know of any English support group - but you could search in France for English homeschoolers living there...Try some of the homeschooling Yahoo groups there....

Joan

We've completed the CNED's full Grande Section Maternelle curriculum & we're currently doing CP but just in Francais.

To sign up go to http://www.cned.fr/

Click on the green "Scolaire" button on the top left; then "Ecole". If you plan on doing the full curriculum then you'll be looking at "1er degré classes complètes". Keep in mind you can also just pick & choose which individual subjects you want to do too if you select "Premier degré cours par matières".

Then you'll see the GSM & CM2, you'll have to fill out a bit of information then it will give you access to documentations & registration papers. Registration is pretty easy, just print out the paperwork, fill it and mail it back to them. If you're struggling at any point then contact them via email or phone. I'm not sure how payment works when done internationally (I just used my French bank account) but I'm sure they'll have plenty of experience with it.

You'll receive everything you need for the whole year in one box around August. The lessons are divided up into what you should be doing daily. Every once in a while you will have to send them Evaluations (you receive those at the beginning of the year too)- this is how they keep an eye on your kids' abilities. The assigned teacher will grade them & send them back to you - they usually go into a lot of detail with recommendations etc.

The CNED should qualify as a full curriculum but I am not familiar with the homeschooling regulations in California. If you are travelling by boat though you may be able to follow different regulations than California since you're out of the state anyway...

I don't know any support groups for parents teaching the CNED. There's an online forum you can access once you're registered but it's aimed at kids - you might be able to find families in a similar situation to yours this way though.

Since they'll be going back to their current French School - you should ask the school if they can help you with any of this - they may already have experience with the CNED.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, my child is fluent in French (CM2) moving to homeschooling, this is our first year.  We are using CNED a la carte for Francais only, and he is doing a lot of his work independently. We also use the help of a tutor once a week for him to practice oral expression.   

I don't speak any French and so far, we have done well signing him up and moving through the first couple of lessons.   However, I don't understand what to do with the evaluations, or if the book pages need to be sent back for corrections.   I keep looking for the link on the website to send the copies online and can't find it.  

Please, if any of you have experience with the way CNED works, I would appreciate your help.