Menu

Logic of English for a remedial student ?'s

I am going to be buying The Logic of English soon to use with my DS in a year or two. But my stepsister is a very struggling reader and speller. She is 12 and headed into 7th grade next year and is in public school. We have talked about going through LoE this summer. If I did that, would she need the workbook? Or would it seem to childish?

Also has anyone used this program with a 10-12 year old and how did it go? How fast did you move through the book? Could it been done in a summer?

Thanks in advance!

I'm doing LOE to remediate spelling with my 10 yo. We don't use the workbook, it would definitely feel babyish to her. I have the TM on the laptop, and she has a notebook where she writes the spelling rules and the spelling lists, and I have a whiteboard.

It's been great. But we are just using it for spelling, not for the other components. So we do it once a week, go through the lesson and do the phonograms, spelling rules, and spelling list. We used the advanced spelling list Denise has available on the website - again, those in the book would be too easy/insulting/babyish for a 12 yo.

It's extremely effective, and I'm noticing improved spelling in her writing - but really, what makes me glad is that now she stops and thinks about how to spell things, and asks about it, and we use the language of the phonograms and the spelling rules to figure it out.

The spelling dictation method is really the key to this program, IMO. It turns spelling into an interesting logical puzzle to solve, using internalized rules, rather than a weekly list to memorize and promptly forget.

I'm doing LOE to remediate spelling with my 10 yo. We don't use the workbook, it would definitely feel babyish to her. I have the TM on the laptop, and she has a notebook where she writes the spelling rules and the spelling lists, and I have a whiteboard.

It's been great. But we are just using it for spelling, not for the other components. So we do it once a week, go through the lesson and do the phonograms, spelling rules, and spelling list. We used the advanced spelling list Denise has available on the website - again, those in the book would be too easy/insulting/babyish for a 12 yo.

It's extremely effective, and I'm noticing improved spelling in her writing - but really, what makes me glad is that now she stops and thinks about how to spell things, and asks about it, and we use the language of the phonograms and the spelling rules to figure it out.

The spelling dictation method is really the key to this program, IMO. It turns spelling into an interesting logical puzzle to solve, using internalized rules, rather than a weekly list to memorize and promptly forget.

Thank you for your response. I think I will skip the notebook for her. And also take a look at the advanced spelling lists. That would probably be more appropriate for her also. I am planning on going through all the teaching videos on YouTube also. I really want to help her, her spelling is horrible and her reading is not much better. She does a lot of guessing.

I took advantage of their pdf downloads and bought just the first ten lessons or whatever it is. I thought it might work for my dyslexic son who is 15. After looking at it, I know it would move way to fast for him. I'd definitely maybe just get a few lessons to try first and see how it goes. It might work wonderfully or it might bomb. I'd hate to see you out a lot of money if it doesn't work well.

Good luck,