Menu

ISO more must-read Holocaust books...

tammyw

I love All But My Life. It is one of my favorite Holocaust resources. I found a study guide to go along with it here. But I don't know that I would do this book with a 10 year old. But definitely add it into the stack for the teen years.

Focus on the Family has an excellent audio book for Bonhoeffer. I think a 10 year old would find it interesting.

For that age I would go with: Number the Stars (Lowry), A father's Promise (Hess), Escape from Warsaw (Serrailler), Twenty and Ten (Bishop), Snow Treasure (McSwigan), Enemy Brothers (Savery), The Winged Watchman (von Stockum), The Borrowed House (von Stockum) - all of these were books my boys read around that age. I have had the boys do some sort of Holocaust reading every year even when it wasn't in the history sequence.

Thank you for that list. She has read Number the Stars, but not most of the others. She started reading Snow Treasure the other day but she said it didn't capture her. I haven't read it yet, so I will have to do that before I can understand why.

I loved the Hiding Place! It has always been one of my favorite books! There are several biographies (and videos too!) of Irena Sendler that are really interesting and somewhat similar to the Hiding Place. I think Irena was Catholic but could be wrong. I have also started the Bonhoeffer book by Metaxes and have really been enjoying it so far.

There is a historical fiction book called "Enemy Brothers" by Savery that is really good and might be nice for your daughter.

So these other recommendations might be a bit off topic but super interesting and include the Holocaust.

My husband and I watched this series by PBS called "Hitler's Bodyguard" and it was really interesting and a little scary. I didn't realize a lot of things that were stated in the series and so it was really enlightening for me. It was interesting to see the whole struggle throughout the war from Hitler's side of things. Here is the link to the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgm52tbEa2k

I found this set of books called "Pictorial History of the Second World War" at a thrift store a while back. They are books of actual pictures from WW2 and are really interesting. If you can find them, they are really great. I only have Volumes 1-5 and we have really enjoyed them.

All this is extra interesting to me because my great grandfather on my father's side were German and barely escaped from Germany during WW1 and came to America. Both of my grandfather's fought in WW2. My grandfather on my mother's side was one of the first men to cross the Rhine in the advance against Germany. As soon as he was across, he climbed a flagpole and took down the Nazi flag and put up the American one. He kept the Nazi flag and our family still has it.

ETA: I also forgot to mention another book. It is called "Evidence Not Seen" by Darlene Diebler Rose. It is such a beautiful and wonderful book. It is the story of Darlene and how she and her husband with others were missionaries to New Guinea. When the Japanese invaded, she and her husband were sent to different prison camps. She was a Christian so the book, like the Hiding Place, is Christian. This is also one of my favorite books as well. It was interesting to see things from being a prisoner in a Japanese prison camp. I highly recommend it. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Not-Seen-Miraculous-Jungles/dp/0060670207/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363799402&sr=1-1&keywords=evidence+not+seen

• Things We Couldn't Say, by Diet Eman - Amazon
  • Women Heroes of WWII: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance & Rescue, by Kathryn J. Atwood - Amazon
  • Through The Eyes of a Child: A Memoir of the Dutch Resistance During WWII, by Catherine Vanderzon - Amazon
  • Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow, by Susan Campbell Bartoletti - Amazon
  • If I Parish, by Esther Ahn Kim - Veritas Press
  • Hideout in the Swamp, by Piet Prins - Veritas Press
  • Snow Treasure, by Marie McSwigen - Veritas Press (This one sounds REALLY GOOD!)
  • Spying and the Cold War, by Michael Burgan - Veritas Press

The only one I've read is Things We Couldn't Say. It was very, very good. I also listened to Diet Eman describe her story on a Christian radio program several years ago. That's what prompted me to read the book.

A search on Amazon and Veritas Press (6th Grade History) provided the others. I hope you find something to your liking.

• Things We Couldn't Say, by Diet Eman - Amazon
  • Women Heroes of WWII: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance & Rescue, by Kathryn J. Atwood - Amazon
  • Through The Eyes of a Child: A Memoir of the Dutch Resistance During WWII, by Catherine Vanderzon - Amazon
  • Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow, by Susan Campbell Bartoletti - Amazon
  • If I Parish, by Esther Ahn Kim - Veritas Press
  • Hideout in the Swamp, by Piet Prins - Veritas Press
  • Snow Treasure, by Marie McSwigen - Veritas Press (This one sounds REALLY GOOD!)
  • Spying and the Cold War, by Michael Burgan - Veritas Press

The only one I've read is Things We Couldn't Say. It was very, very good. I also listened to Diet Eman describe her story on a Christian radio program several years ago. That's what prompted me to read the book.

A search on Amazon and Veritas Press (6th Grade History) provided the others. I hope you find something to your liking.

We read Snow Treasure when I was teaching 5th grade. It is an excellent book. We really enjoyed it.