Menu

For those of you in the UK, please talk to me about penmanship.

I have never found a handwriting script here in the USA that I like. Both dc have lousy penmanship as a result of my jumping around with handwriting curricula.

I *do* like the standard penmanship of the Brits I have met, however. Would you give me the name of whatever script is standard in the UK, and maybe a link to where I could purchase materials?

TIA.

I'm sorta bumping you... I almost asked the same question about a month ago. When my older dd was learning cursive she hated the stateside options, and we ended up searching the internet for cursive letters she liked. "F" was the biggest issue. We managed to find something she liked, which happened to come out of India. When I tried to track down the font, it turned out to be a British version of Spencer script. I never did find workbooks or similar for it, but I do have downloads of the original worksheets from India (which I can't find a link for anymore; I think the website closed down).

So that's a long way to say :lurk5:

Well a very common handwriting font used in lots of workbooks here is "Sassoon Primary" - that's certainly what I was taught at school (in the 1980s), and it's in nearly of the workbooks I've ever looked at. It's not free though, so I've been using "Briem Handwriting" (very close to Briem Script), which is fairly similar, and downloadable free from briem.net.

Hi Susan,

I found some free online resources on A Beka and started using this font for cursive. Here's the alphabet sheet in cursive (see below). This is the only one we used so far and my kids have already learnt how to write in cursive, beautifully in a very short time.

If you want customized cursive font sheets which you can save or printout, please see this free: Tracing Cursive Handwriting Generator. After typing the text, download the pdf files in cursive font. These worksheets also have halfway lines to help children learn.

If you are looking for Spencerian script then try these from Amazon UK:

Theory of Spencerian Penmanship

Spencerian Copybook 1

Spencerian Copybook 2

Spencerian Copybook 3

Spencerian Copybook 4

Spencerian Copybook 5

See also Peterson handwriting, on this website, there are some free sample E workbooks:

http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/

Here's a free Peterson Cursive Workbook (pdf)

Penmanship%20Curriculum%20Gr1_Page_06%20%282%29.jpg

To do the British-style font, I'd recommend the handwriting resources on Sparklebox.

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/literacy/writing/letter-formation/#.UTPHLuvF3L0 You can download all sorts of materials.

There are also some here in the US featuring Montessori script, which is very similar, or of course D'Nealian, which is also similar to Sassoon Primary.

I started my 5yo with italic handwriting and we were doing ok. Once DS started school the handwriting was quite different and dare I say, childish looking. As a result my DS now has a combination which is neither here nor there and looks pretty bad. My only advice is, if you plan on HE all the way choose a handwriting which appeals to you, but if you plan on sending your dc to school later on try to find something they use locally. Starting with one penmanship style and then switching to another midway doesn't produce good results.IMHO

• 8 years later...