Menu

10 days to go anywhere ...

Magnolia Rain

So, dh and I are planning our 10 year anniversary trip for this coming Fall and I would love some suggestions.

We haven't decided if we are looking for strict relaxation or doing a lot of running around, so all opinions are welcome. Essentially, we can go anywhere, plan to be gone for 10 days, have passports ...

Where would you go?

Cruise. More specifically a Disney Cruise because they are awesome. You might think they'd be over run with kids (and there are quite a few), but there are also loads and loads of couples and friends with no kids. There is a really nice restaurant on board (it costs extra though), bars, lounges, adult activities, cooking classes, dance classes, lectures (yep, I'm a nerd and I went to several of them) and an outstanding spa (do a couples massage!). James Bond and I want to do a DC for our 20th (in 2 years!), but Indy would go insane if he didn't get to go. He loved the DC.

I know the recent cruise thing on the news sounded awful (and I'm sure it was), but stuff like that is pretty rare, AFAIK. Our cruises have been as relaxing or busy as we wanted. The first cruise we took, we thought we'd be bored, but we were so very busy some days it was almost silly. We finally had to pick an at sea day and NOT do anything because we were worn out.

Right now if we could go anywhere without budget constraints I'd be heading to Tahiti. It looks absolutely gorgeous, has "some" things to do (including a bit of snorkeling and scuba that we love), but also appears to be a place where two could enjoy themselves a bit without much in crowds - a nice combo of running around, relaxation, and sheer beauty.

But for us... we're paying college bills, so our trip there is in our dreams for a while.

Where have you been so far? And what time zone are you currently in?

Personally I think ten days is too short of a trip to deal with serious time differences. I'm on the east coast, I wouldn't go to Thailand for less than a two-week trip.

On the other hand, being an early-to-bed-early-to-rise person, I find western Europe to be great for even short trips because if I only partly adjust for the time difference, I can stay up fashionably late. :rofl:

Thank you for all of your responses!

Where have you been so far? And what time zone are you currently in?

Where have I been ... Hawaii, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Mexico, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, the Caribbean ...

DH has never been to Europe though, so that's a thought. We live in Virginia, so Western Europe isn't too long of a flight.

We have plans to take the kids, for several weeks, to New Zealand and Australia in the next two years, so that's out. We love Hawaii, but have been many times, and it is a pretty long flight from where we live now. Belize would be fun. DH has always wanted to scuba dive there.

Any other places you have loved/would love to visit?

Again, thank you so much for all of your suggestions! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Brittany

Diving with a shorter flight than Tahiti? Belize or Honduras... (2nd largest reef in the world). If you both like diving, Bonaire is a marine park with oodles of dive sites, but not much else is there and it misses the land beauty of Hawaii or how I envision Tahiti from the pics.

Thank you for all of your responses!

Where have I been ... Hawaii, Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Mexico, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, the Caribbean ...

DH has never been to Europe though, so that's a thought. We live in Virginia, so Western Europe isn't too long of a flight.

We have plans to take the kids, for several weeks, to New Zealand and Australia in the next two years, so that's out. We love Hawaii, but have been many times, and it is a pretty long flight from where we live now. Belize would be fun. DH has always wanted to scuba dive there.

Any other places you have loved/would love to visit?

Again, thank you so much for all of your suggestions! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Brittany

With that list and that location, I'd suggest Ireland or Italy.

If you don't want Europe, Costa Rica is great. The birds are amazing.

St. Lucia is one of our favorites for a couples trip! There are wonderful excursions (drive in volcano with botanical springs, amazing rain forest hikes with waterfalls, sunset cruises... so many wonderful opportunities for the adventurous and also wonderful tropical scenery for those that need to just unwind and relax.

No matter where you go, it will be wonderful! Congratulations on 10 years!