Menu

Convince me why I need a Vitamix or Blendtec?

Quiver0f10

I think it depends on what you want to use it for.

I've just started soaking legumes and incorporating more of them into our diet. My "food processor" is a 20+ old year old Oscar, it is very small. I researched Cuisnart food processors, but in the end, with my needs, a $40ish food processor is just what I need. It works great for making hummus, shredding cheese, softening butter (that is all I have done so far). I don't think it would work for grinding coffee, grains, or stiff doughs, but I don't need it for that anyway.

I like the vitamix better than blendtec, just my opinion. Do you know about Vitamix and the reconditioned models? They are machines that are returned during the money back window except with a new container.

I love, love, love my Vitamix. We do have a special diet so it is even more special to me.

https://secure.vitamix.com/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard.aspx

I like the vitamix better than blendtec, just my opinion. Do you know about Vitamix and the reconditioned models? They are machines that are returned during the money back window except with a new container.

I love, love, love my Vitamix. We do have a special diet so it is even more special to me.

https://secure.vitam...d-Standard.aspx

That is a great price! Thank you!

If you're considering it then just jump. I thought about it for more than a year before buying one and when I finally did, i kicked myself for waiting so long. Yes, the price tag is big, but I don't have another appliance in my kitchen that gets as much use. Since buying my vitamix 2 (or was it 3) years ago, it has pretty much been used at least 1x a day and often (very often) used 2x a day. My stove gets less use than the vitamix because there are plenty of days I don't cook at all (cold meals and such - mostly summer).

I use it for lots of different things but smoothies, mostly green, is by far the most common. But I also love finding other uses for it and some uses that you'd never use a blender for but it's just so easy to clean that I like the option, like blending for scrambled eggs (with cheese and extras too). Sure a bowl works fine, but since the blender is there anyways and then a little hot water and a drop of soap and it's clean (versus a bowl and fork tossed in the dishwasher otherwise). I really love it for making salad dressings too. DH likes it for odd things like grinding up egg shells for adding into the garden. We made our own garlic powder from our own grown and dried garlic too.

I made lots of soups when I first bought it, but not since. I am apt to blend up some extra veg to pour into dishes that no one realizes has veg in it. I also discovered it is much neater for making cauli-rice (cauliflower rice) and wish I'd tried it sooner.

But really, if you're already considering it then just jump. Much easier push than for someone that would really love one but just can't possibly get one. Oh and out family's fruit and veg consumption more than doubled when we bought one - that there was a pretty awesome result too. And I thought we already ate well to start with.

*oh and to clarify, I don't cook the eggs in the blender though I did see a video of someone doing that once, no thanks, the stove works fine.

I want one so badly.

Can I really, truly, really, really put raw collard in there, stems and all, and get a smoothie? I mean along with an apple or something.

I buy these bags of washed raw chopped collards and kale at the store and it would be so perfect if I could just toss a couple handfuls into a smoothie. It won't work in my nice blender because the stems, even chopped, just won't blend smoothly. It turns into a mess.

What about a wedge of cabbage all chopped up? Would it actually blend into a smoothie?

I do not have any experience with the Blendtec, but I do have a Vitamix.

I use mine every day to make smoothies. I like that I can put anything into it (kale, spinach, nuts, cored apples, etc.) and it blends it into an incredibly smooth mixture.

I also have a Bosch blender, but I do not keep my Bosch on the counter, making it a bit of work to get it out and set it up. The Vitamix is much easier for me to pull out and make a smoothie, clean up, then return it to its proper place. The capacity of my Vitamix container is also larger than my Bosch container.

I have made soups in my Vitamix before that I really enjoyed, though I do not do this often. It is very simple, but I am just not in the habit of using it that way. Also, I have a large family, so there aren't many instances when I am making a small portion of soup for just a few servings.

This post probably is not very convincing, since I mainly use if for smoothies, but for me, just the fact that I do not mind getting it out once or twice a day to make smoothies that add wonderful nutrients to my family's diet is enough for me. I have had mine for 20+ years and it is still going strong.

The link that Charleigh provided looks like a great deal. I suspect that quite a few people purchase one and have buyer's remorse simply because they paid so much money for it and are not convinced that they need it. My guess is that the reconditioned units are like new.

I like Blendtec. It is smaller than Vitamix and one container is needed only for both dry grinding (making flour with wheat berries, for example) and wet processing (smoothie, for example).

I make veggie and fruit smoothies now for my main food to deal with hemorrhoid flare up now. It takes 20 seconds only.

I want one so badly.

Can I really, truly, really, really put raw collard in there, stems and all, and get a smoothie? I mean along with an apple or something.

I buy these bags of washed raw chopped collards and kale at the store and it would be so perfect if I could just toss a couple handfuls into a smoothie. It won't work in my nice blender because the stems, even chopped, just won't blend smoothly. It turns into a mess.

What about a wedge of cabbage all chopped up? Would it actually blend into a smoothie?

I just bought kale today. I put kale leaves, one carrot sliced, two garlic cloves, one fresh thick slice of ginger, some walnuts, sesame seeds, and a quartered peeled orange in and blended for 20 seconds. Everything turned out smooth and fine as smoothie is supposed to be.

I can't imagine eating kale any other way since it is so dry and tough!

I want one so badly. Can I really, truly, really, really put raw collard in there, stems and all, and get a smoothie? I mean along with an apple or something. I buy these bags of washed raw chopped collards and kale at the store and it would be so perfect if I could just toss a couple handfuls into a smoothie. It won't work in my nice blender because the stems, even chopped, just won't blend smoothly. It turns into a mess. What about a wedge of cabbage all chopped up? Would it actually blend into a smoothie?

I have a Blendtec, and Yes, yes you can. We bought it for green smoothies. Spinach, kale, collards, - it smooths them all. Everything. Worth every dollar you spend on the machine, IMO.

ETA: I haven't tried cabbage yet, but I'm 100% convinced that cabbage would work just as well in it, too.

Yes, in a VitaMix or masticating juicer.

About the smoothies= don't they taste vegetatitive? I have only had fruit smoothies and I am wary of vegatative kinds.

For people wanting to add green smoothies to their diet, I suggest starting very very small. Add one small handful of spinach to your normal fruit smoothie - you won't taste it. Later, add 2 handfuls and you still probably won't taste it. And slowly work forward until you find yourself cramming your blender full of spinach and having to blend it down just to fit in some fruit or some ice.

Now in this process, it does taste more green. But I read an interesting argument that both sounded both good enough and really seemed to match mine and dh's experience: as your body gets more green, it wants more green. So as you add a bit more and more, your body and your tastes really start to crave it and so while it stats to taste more veggie like, you find yourself enjoying the taste. I compare it to really fresh and bright taste - dh sometimes says more like grass, but in a good way (?), but you don't have to start there.

My smoothies are very very green and they taste very green now and it's like wonderfulness in a glass, but it took a little time to get there. I tried to start dh much further ahead in the process and he didn't like it at all, so I backed up, and now he'll point out when it's been too long since he's had one (work means he misses a lot of my kitchen-awesomeness).

I didn't read all posts but I love my vitamix. I got a qvc special two years ago. It is worth every single penny I paid. I love to freeze raw cabbage ands then put it in a smoothie. It blends so beautifully and quickly without breaking a sweat. My favorite recipe is frozen banana, frozen pineapple, frozen mango, with plain yogurt. Add a little water and blend. Better than any ice cream! I like to buy fruit when it's a good price and freeze it. Pineapples freezes very well. Purple cabbage does too.

I just bought kale today. I put kale leaves, one carrot sliced, two garlic cloves, one fresh thick slice of ginger, some walnuts, sesame seeds, and a quartered peeled orange in and blended for 20 seconds. Everything turned out smooth and fine as smoothie is supposed to be.

I can't imagine eating kale any other way since it is so dry and tough!

If you grow certain kinds of kale it is wonderfully tender. My dad grew some this winter that was very mild and tender. Steamed down with a little butter it was superb!

I also have a bean soup recipe that you throw a handful of kale into. I've used even bitter kale that I grew and it tasted just fine in the soup.

• 4 months later...