Menu

Sweet 16 party ideas

Amethyst

Okay, so dh and I finally agreed to let dd have a party for her 16th birthday. It's only 2 weeks away. The invitations were already sent. But now...what does one do at a 16th birthday party? Every year my kids have a party around Christmas which we call a game party...board games, acting games, card games. Lots of teens, lots of fun. So a lot of the people will be the same people, and I want this party to be different than the Christmas game party. So does anyone have any ideas? Don't ask me what does my dd want to do because she doesn't know either. We have a nice sized house with both a family room and living room. Basement is not finished and really not party-friendly. Weather is cold up here so I don't expect to do anything outdoors. The party will definitely be at our house since I'm not interested in renting a place. Any ideas? Has anyone done a party at home for a sweet 16?

Around here it's anything and everything. Oldest's friends - one had a night club party complete with red carpet and rope and bouncers outside. They danced. Another friend had a dance as well. Third friend had a murder mystery party with dinner. Rest were just your average run of the mill parties.

Middle's friends havent started yet. DD is doing a tea party. But will be mostly talking.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MelLouise

I hope your daughter had a wonderful sweet 16th! What did you decide to do? I'm going to be planning my daughters sweet 16th in the next few months and would love to hear how yours went, especially as we are also most likely going to hold the party in our home. There are some really good ideas here but they mainly involve a trip out or hiring a venue.

Mel

We had DD's Sweet Sixteen here at our house. We had a house FULL! We had lots of food! DD wanted a baked potato bar, so we did that as well as all kinds of other chips, dips, and finger foods. She did not want a regular cake, so we bought a couple of nice cheesecakes from Costco and a few toppings for the kids to choose.

Our house is kind of choppy in its layout, so we had 3 distinct areas for the kids to hang out. We had the living room where they could dance, the family room we had set up with our tv with Xbox playing "Just Dance--this is where most of the kids stayed, and we had a fire pit going in our back yard. We also had an area set up as a "photo booth." We had some of those lips, mustaches, and silly glasses on a stick with a backdrop. I asked a friend of mine to come and be the photographer--this was wonderful because not only did she take pictures at the photobooth, but she walked around and took pictures of the party. I was so busy making sure we stayed stocked up on the food, that I would have never had time to take pictures.

We decorated by stringing white Christmas lights through the house and outside, and we spent a few days before the party making tissue paper puffs which we hung through the house.

Here is the Pinterest board we used to keep track of the ideas we had

http://pinterest.com/chaneyalexis/16th-birthday/

Those are some great ideas, Tammie! Sounds like so much fun.

The party went really well. There were about 18 kids at our house. They mostly hung out in the living room listening to music. We decorated with streamers and balloons. My dh makes fantastic pizza so some of the kids hung around in the kitchen for a while watching him. It happened to be one of the few nice days in March so far, so we were able to set up the patio furniture and some of the time the kids hung out on the deck and in the backyard. So, they didn't do anything much but hang out, there were no specific games, maybe a few attempts at running around kind of games outside, but nothing that really lasted. Everyone seemed to have a really good time though.

I will mention the unusual "theme" she had. There wasnt' much of a theme, but she loves sloths and all her friends know it. So we got a picture of a baby sloth and Wegmans put it on a cake. And then she wanted it to say: Happy Sloth 16. So that's what it said. Different. But she loved it.