Menu

WRTR

z2_mom

Dd has been in speech therapy since she was 15 months, you would know it now, as thankfully she speaks very well. She was released from therapy; I started using this with my dd 4 1/2 based upon the suggestion of her speech therapist. She is flying through learning the phonograms, as she worked with them previously in therapy. She is proficient in the first 45 phonograms, and all of there sounds. We are ready to move onto the spelling or word list. I am planning on starting slow and only doing 3 a day. How exactly does this work. Do I do the first 3 on Mon. and then the next 3 on Tue. to build up to say 12 words to test on Friday. Or do I just work with those 3 words until they are fluent in reading and spelling?

She does have great fine motor skills and does write well. This has always been her strong area. So the writing is not a problem, I just would not want to give her too much.

I would love any suggestions or opinions.

Thanks,

lynda

She is flying through learning the phonograms, as she worked with them previously in therapy. She is proficient in the first 45 phonograms, and all of there sounds. We are ready to move onto the spelling or word list. I am planning on starting slow and only doing 3 a day. How exactly does this work. Do I do the first 3 on Mon. and then the next 3 on Tue. to build up to say 12 words to test on Friday. Or do I just work with those 3 words until they are fluent in reading and spelling?

In a nutshell, you would teach 3 words the first day, test those three words the second day, do any remediation, teach the next 3. The third day you would give a test on the first 6, do any remediation, teach the next 3. See? Each day you would also be drilling the phonograms, by "flashing" them and by dictating them.

The actual recommendation for the kindergarten level is 5 words a day for three days.

But you really do want the teacher guide.:)

You would find the teacher guides very helpful!

Also, you can get answers to specific WRTR questions by going to the spalding website and browsing their forums.

The website is http://www.spalding.org

You will find a list of options near the top of the page. Click on Support and then on Forums. There is a whole forum for home educating parents. I've posted a few questions there and the staff is really great about answering promptly and giving you the support you need. You can also call their customer service line and talk to someone. They've been GREAT help every time I've called. They've talked me through a lot!

Thanks so much. I did not realize that they has a WRTR specific form. To be honest I really had no intentions for starting the spelling this year. I figured that we would spend that long on the phonograms since she is so young. She proved me wrong and is more than ready to move onto the next step. Thank you both you have helped a ton.

lynda:)