Menu

Latin???

Guest mrsbmomof3

Guest mrsbmomof3

Hi, I'm new here with a question about Latin. I'm curious as to what age others started Latin instruction and which curriculum you went with. My daughter is spelling at a 4th grade level and reading at a slightly lower level. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and begin Latin instruction or wait a little longer and maybe just focus on grammar. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Just about any time is a good time to begin Latin :-)

At our home, we begin around 3rd grade. But you can start earlier or later with fine results.

I think Lively Latin is a perfect curriculum to begin around 3rd grade. It has just about the finest age-appropriate grammar explanations I have found in any early elementary Latin program. I love that it nicely ties together Latin and English grammar and it has wonderful Roman history readings that are interspersed. A fun, gentle program with lots of variety in the exercises.

That said, here is a very helpful website that has most of the Latin programs reviewed by WTMers.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latincurricula.htm

We started with Prima Latina when my oldest was in 3rd and my next oldest was in 1st. My current 1st grader will start Prima Latina sometime this year, but we're going to take it very slow. The other 2 are currently in 2nd and 4th and we're using Latina Christiana at the moment. I think Prima Latina was a nice compromise for the two grades I had.

I didn't begin Latin until the age of twelve at school. I did do some Latin with my daughter at younger ages but I never found a good programme (I tried using the programmes for her that I did at school but the books were missing a good deal of the teaching aspect).

We started this year (at age twelve) with Latin Prep (Galore Park) and she is retaining the vocab. and understanding the grammar etc very easily. I am glad I waited until now. I will probably wait at least a year with my son too. I want him to be thoroughly grounded in his writing and grammar skills (and to have extra time at this age for the basics).