Menu

need some new shows to watch on Netflix streaming.....

kfeusse

I am sort of embarrased to share my viewing habits, but these are some of the shows I have watched, and now I need some new ones along the same lines:

Grey's Anatomy

Hawthorne (until the very end, then it got really weird, I thought)

Switched At Birth

Wild at Heart

Hart of Dixe

on TV now (not on Netflix) that I watch:

Worst Cooks in America

Biggest Loser

Survivor

Amazing Race

Master Chef

I watch some movies and I have some in my queue, but I really like TV shows becasue when I don't have more than a hour, I can watch something without having to stop in the middle. So if you have any suggestions for me, I would love to know.

Try Scandal, I just started watching this on Netflix last week and now I am hooked and watching the second season on HULU just to keep up with it.

Since you like Grey's Anatomy, you should know that Scandal was created by Shonda Rhimes the same creator of Greys Anatomy. When I first started on Scandal last week I thought it was "way overacted" and too fast of a show for me to enjoy and I hate adultry and that was a central inssue of the show. But I stayed with it for 3 episodes (my system for giving any new show a chance) and the show started to grow on me. By the end of the first season ( only 7 episodes) I was hooked and coudn't wait to watch more. I grew to love Kerry Washington's character Oliva Pope and the President of the United States character Tony Goldwin. There is so many twists and turns in the show you never know what to expet and when you think you have someone or something nailed down, the show throws you for a loop and makes you re-think everything you orgianlly thought. Oliva Pope and The President are just like the old episodes from the very beginning of Greys Meridith and Derek. Once I was hooked, I had to find more. Then I found second season on HULU plus and I have been watching those episodes up until last nights episode that was broadcast on tv and available on HULU this morning.

Watch the show, I think if you like Grey's you will love Scandal. Give it the first full season ( 7 episodes) to warm up to it, but then you'll be hooked.

Best part, they have tons of old Greys actors on the new show Scandal and that was lots of fun to see my old favorites on this new show.

Breaking Bad said it was "dark and violent"...is that true? That doesn't seem to be me at all.

Army Wives sound interesting....but I have no background in that life...will I be able to follow the plots?

Private Practice is in my queue...I just haven't checked it out...so now I will...

Breaking Bad said it was "dark and violent"...is that true? That doesn't seem to be me at all.

I think Breaking Bad should be called amazing and fantastic. There are maybe 2-3 shows that I have watched every single episode of and this is one of them.

There's no people falling in love with each other and its not a drama where the doctors rush into surgery every other episode.

Its about a family man who goes into the drug business. There is some violence (people get killed) but its not like a movie where they are blowing things up with explosives and running around with machine guns.

Army Wives sound interesting....but I have no background in that life...will I be able to follow the plots?

Private Practice is in my queue...I just haven't checked it out...so now I will...

I thought Breaking Bad was very dark and depressing. I stopped watching it after 5 episodes.

I thought Breaking Bad was very dark and depressing. I stopped watching it after 5 episodes.

I can't bring myself to watch Breaking Bad no matter how many good things I hear about it. I have seen people close to me destroyed by drug use, and I can't even imagine how the premise of such a show can be entertaining. I know plenty of people disagree or it wouldn't be so popular, but we all have our triggers.

Army Wives-I have no background in military life at all and I found it to be easy to follow. One of the main characters marries into it and has no clue either.

I like the shows that you mentioned and I also love Army Wives and Parenthood. I'm also looking for a new Netflix show....I like to watch while I'm cooking or folding laundry, so I go through them fast! I actually liked Vampire Diaries too. I think I'm going to check out Scandal. I'd never heard of it before this thread!

some of my faves - merlin, eureka, the glades, touch. merlin is totally redone so merlin and arthur are both young, like 20. eureka is about a cop in a town of crazy geniuses, glades is a cop in florida . . not sure why i like him, i think its the single mom he's in love with. touch is keefer southerland as father of a boy who doesnt talk but sees the world in numbers. oh, i also liked a show called numbers.

White Collar

Freaks and Geeks

The Wonder Years

Prison Break (can be pretty violent at times)

Also enjoyed Parenthood (already mentioned) and Gilmore Girls (although I don't think this is available on streaming, only DVD)

Just watched the first episode of Sherlock and really enjoyed it

Parenthood

Gilmore Girls

Prison Break

Alias

Friday Night Lights

I was so, so excited to see Gilmore Girls on your list (probably my all-time favorite tv show), but I just checked and sadly, it is not available on Netflix streaming. :(

I want to second Parenthood and Friday Night Lights. Both are awesome shows!!!

I started watching Friday Night Lights last night....I was s tired I only got 20 minutes into it....but I just couldn't get interested...it seems to MOSTLY about football....is that the MAIN theme...or just one of many themes...if I keep watching? I know I was tired and so maybe that was part of it.

Off to check a few newer titles shared. thanks.

I like Scandal (and Grey's) so I'd recommend that.

Aside from that, I'm probably no help. As of late I've been ridiculously addicted to Korean dramas on Netflix. :leaving:

OH my word! I am totally addicted to K-dramas too! My family thinks I am nuts, but I can't wait to get in bed at night and watch a couple of episodes. In the past few months I have watched over 12 different series...a few more than once! It is sick! LOL

I love Weeds! I also like Grey's and Gilmore Girls. United States of Tara was another series I enjoyed, but I definately preferred the first season over the others. I loved Breaking Bad too - and I normally don't like shows like that. Agree with Parenthood as well. That's the only show on tv that I'll stay up so late to watch! And second the Freaks and Geeks recommendation. I watched this when it was on tv the first time around, but it's so good I just had to watch it again on Netflix.

i tried Parenthood but gave up after about 4 episodes. i think it just cut too close to home. I think every single one of my life crises happened in the first few episodes, but to a half dozen different people, and they all were like "huh?" for a minute and then everything was all good again. oh, and i actually identified most w the grandmother and she was getting abused from all directions . . .

I started watching Friday Night Lights last night....I was s tired I only got 20 minutes into it....but I just couldn't get interested...it seems to MOSTLY about football....is that the MAIN theme...or just one of many themes...if I keep watching? I know I was tired and so maybe that was part of it.

Off to check a few newer titles shared. thanks.

The first couple episodes (of any show really) are just setting things up so you start to get to know the characters. I would say it is primarily a show about family, relationships, and small towns. Football is the background and plays a part of course.

what are K-dramas?

K-dramas are Korean Dramas. Instead of having typical television series like here in the states--where they have multiple seasons, in Korea they have more like min-series. They plot out a story, decide how many episodes they will do (average seems to be 16-24), and then play out the story start to finish. You can find them on Netflix and Hulu, there are also places like Dramafever and Viki.com (both of these also have apps.) Of course they are sub-titled here.

Which ones do you like??

My favorites so far are:

Anything with Lee Min Ho :) (Faith, Boys Before Flowers, City Hunter, Personal Taste)

Goong

Heartstrings

Playful Kiss

I am also watching "The Flower Boy Next Door" and "That Winter the Wind Blows" on Viki or Dramafever (whoever gets the episode up first) and am enjoying both. What about you??

K-dramas are Korean Dramas. Instead of having typical television series like here in the states--where they have multiple seasons, in Korea they have more like min-series. They plot out a story, decide how many episodes they will do (average seems to be 16-24), and then play out the story start to finish. You can find them on Netflix and Hulu, there are also places like Dramafever and Viki.com (both of these also have apps.) Of course they are sub-titled here.

My favorites so far are:

Anything with Lee Min Ho :) (Faith, Boys Before Flowers, City Hunter, Personal Taste)

Goong

Heartstrings

Playful Kiss

I am also watching "The Flower Boy Next Door" and "That Winter the Wind Blows" on Viki or Dramafever (whoever gets the episode up first) and am enjoying both. What about you??

So far I've only watched Secret Garden and Dream High. Dream High is a total teenager show but it sort of made me think of glee, only in Korea and without the agenda. :) I literally watched that one in less than 2 days (16 episodes). I have a sort of fangirl crush on one of the characters now...even though he's like, years younger than me (not more than 10 though :lol: ) ... I am sort of a sucker for asian rap. Idky.

Secret Garden was good. At first I thought it was really cheesy but then it grew on me and I just had to know what would happen next. It was the first one I watched and I finished it in about 4-5 days (20 ep).

I'm such a dork... :blush: