Menu

Ikea Ektorp Sofa?

TXMomof4

We have sold our couch and loveseat and are looking for something cheap, sturdy and I think this is what we've settled on. Any reviews? Good, bad, indifferent? We'll have to drive to Atlanta to get it - shipping is outrageous, so I'd like to be relatively certain before we head that way. TIA!

We have sold our couch and loveseat and are looking for something cheap, sturdy and I think this is what we've settled on. Any reviews? Good, bad, indifferent? We'll have to drive to Atlanta to get it - shipping is outrageous, so I'd like to be relatively certain before we head that way. TIA!

We bought one when we moved in 2007. It's a nice sturdy little sofa. It's held up well in the past 5 years, through 3 kids, 4 cats and a dog. Make sure you try it out before you buy it to see if it's comfortable for you. My in-laws hate this sofa because it's not "squishy" enough. I like it because it's not too soft.

Ah - Used to be in TX - not anymore. We're in GA and moving back to TX, but unfortunately El Paso - which is nowhere near any Ikea. Thanks for the info. I've loved everything I've bought from Ikea and been pretty impressed with the quality. Couches do get beat up more than most things though. I don't want to spend big money because everything gets beat and battered in moves but I don't want something that will fall apart too quickly. KWIM?

I looked at their sofas as well. What I really like is that you can buy slip covers for them that are washable. It did seem to add a lot to the price though.

My mom just bought a couch at Pottery Barn with slip covers. It's also a pull out bed. It's really nice and big.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

We've had an Ektorp loveseat and chair for about 5 years. They're both very comfortable and sturdy. I love that the covers are removable and washable, and they have both held up pretty well. I must say that at this point, the cushions are sagging a bit. If you're really interested, pm me and I can try to take a picture. Actually I'm not sure how the pm thing works on these new boards, but I'm assuming it's similar to the old boards.

We have 2 Ektorp chairs and I really, really, really want the sectional. We all loaf all over it when we are in IKEA because it's soooooo comfortable. We've had the chairs for a couple of years and they look perfect. My mom doesn't like them because she says the backs aren't high enough to rest your head on, but we've never found that to be an issue. I love that I can just pull the slip cover off and toss it in the wash. It's not always easy to get them back on (I really think it's a 2 person job) though, simply because they are made to be tight.

I have wanted 2 Ektorp sofa's for as long as I can remember. As someone earlier mentioned, they aren't 'squishy' like many sofas. I actually like that about them. Also, it's worth pointing out that the white slipcover is the only one that can be washed in the washing machine. The other colors have to be dry cleaned.

We have the love seat and the large sofa with the chaise thingy and also an ottoman. I looooove them. Best $ furniture purchase I have made. I have a similar pottery barn sleeper sofa, that retails at $1800, and when I went to replace the slip covers, the PB slipcovers are over $600!!!!! So we retired that couch to the basement, and bought all that new furniture for about $1000, and could replace all the slip covers for under $200-$300 or so for all three pieces! The furniture is in our family room, so gets used all day by all of us and our four dogs and four cats. I've washed the covers a bunch of times, and they wash up perfectly. So far, I don't see any need to replace the covers, but when I do, it is nice to know is will be easy and cheap!

Highly recommend!

I have wanted 2 Ektorp sofa's for as long as I can remember. As someone earlier mentioned, they aren't 'squishy' like many sofas. I actually like that about them. Also, it's worth pointing out that the white slipcover is the only one that can be washed in the washing machine. The other colors have to be dry cleaned.

Mine are machine washable. I have two sets of covers, red and tan. The labels say they can be machine washed and hung dry. They have both been through the washer at least a dozen times....sick cat..... We have had an Ektorp for about 15 years and it is a great shape. I picked up the second set of covers just to change up the look of the room from time to time.

I'm laying on one right now! I really like it. And all the chocolate I've spilled on it blends right into my dark brown slipcover! :D

I really wanted a couch with a movable attached ottoman because we rearrange furniture frequently, and this couch has been just right.

We had a sleeper sectional for 5 years in our family room. Between the kids and the cat, the slipcovers were trashed, but I found the identical slipcovers on Craigslist for $75. Some of the cushions were wearing out but it was very usable still. I'd buy it again. We eventually sold it on CL for $300 (with the new slipcovers) when we redid our basement and couldn't fit the sectional in the new space.

I like it, but found at first the cushions wear oddly..so it was sagging where DH sat, and firm on the other side. Easily fixed by flipping/rotating the cushions every few days at first. Otherwise it is great. I LOVE the Ektorp chair...LOVE IT. I have it with the ottoman and that is where I nurse my baby, read a book, watch tv...love it.

• 6 months later...

We have 2 ektorp sofas in leather. I bought both used on Craigslist (2 for the price of one!) and have had them for not quite 2 years - they'd been used 1 year before we got them. We've been very happy with them. We have a small living room and we're small people, so the scale of the ektorp is perfect for us. With 5 kids, they're holding up much better than the oversized white upholstered set I bought for my first apartment.

Sitting on one right now  :thumbup:

It is actually a pretty comfy sofa!  We have the charcoal grey covers and they look great.  We have the chair and ottoman as well and couldn't be happier with the price for quality. 

We just bought the 2+2 sectional and had it delivered yesterday.  OMG, it is so comfortable!!!!  I slept on it last night, because the blow up bed is killing my back (our stuff isn't supposed to arrive now until the END of Sept!), and it was wonderful.  We had the slip to have a new one pulled for us, but when we got down to the "As-Is" section they had one that had been a display model for $450, without a cover.  We bought the cover new for $199 and it saved us over $150!  Squee!  I adore it!  I wanted they gray cover, but since my chair already has the khaki cover, and I didn't want to buy a new cover for that as well, we went with the khaki.