Menu

anyone own a chromebook?

Um_2_4

I have been looking at these lately and thinking about getting one....anyone here have any experience with one? Things it couldn't do that you wish you had known about?(websites etc, especially homeschool related) I know they don't have cd/dvd drives, do they have any word processing software or other things installed besides chrome?

Thanks for any input!

yeah, we got two for our two youngest kids. They love them. It is basically like a big smart phone, you can visit websites but cannot download programs on it, but you can run google apps on it. My kids spend most of their time writing stories on word- we were able to import their stories from word into google docs and they are very happy with it, They play games, fb and visit a discussion board they like and work on their stories. I loved the price, we could not afford computers for them otherwise. My next oldest did not want one, because she spends most of her time doing art with photoshop elements and could't do it on this. It is limited, but my kids like them and they keep them from hogging our other computers :)

ok, that helps, I was hoping to be able to run downloads, like jumpstart for the twins(I have a lifetime membership I got when ds8 was little). I wonder if their website would even work as it uses Unity player (not flash or the like) and won't run on my android tablets. Lego.com games won't run on my tablets either because it uses Unity player.

So I might go back to looking at a refurb laptop....hmm

But the google apps might be nice (dragonbox and the like)...hmmm

decisions, decisions, decisions...

I did talk to my dd after school, but she didn't have much to say that wasn't covered by Hen Jen. She does like that when you log in on Chromebook all your bookmarks and everything are there, even if it's not your computer. So I guess everything is stored in the cloud. My dd does almost everything on her iPad - she only really uses the Chromebook (at school) for online classes and printing, both of which are difficult with the iPad.