Menu

5th Grade Plans

3peasinapod

What is your 5th grader doing next year?

So far (if I don't get anymore wild ideas from this thread) my DD will be doing:

CLE Math 5

WWE4

Hake 5

AAS4

Root word vocabulary (Caesar's English?)

SL Core D

SL Science E

Eclectic art using Discovering Great Masters and Draw Squad

Eclectic state study

PE: Year-round swimming, yoga

What I have planned so far:

Language Arts:

FLL4

WWE4 or Essentials in Writing 5 (or maybe a combo)

HTS 3

Various literature

Vocabulary across the board

Math:

TT5

Science: still undecided, thinking of Apologia Astronomy w/ CKE E& S

History:

MOH 2 w/ SOTW2

Music and Art: R&S

Bible:

Community Bible Study

My dd will be doing the following:

• Horizon's Math 5 (started K with this program & it's the only thing we've stuck with)
  • Classical Comp-Fable Stage
  • R&S English & Spelling 6 along with IEW Fix-It Grammar
  • History Revealed-Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries w/MP's Famous Men of the Middle Ages
  • MP Geography 1 (Middle East, North Africa, & Europe)
  • MP Poetry
  • God's Design for Chemistry: Properties of Matter and Properties of Atoms & Molecules
  • Latina Christiana I
  • Building Thinking Skills (From Critical Thinking Co)
  • Music & PE @ local elementary school
  • Artistic Pursuits Book 2

Literature Selections to complement History include:

• Adam of the Road (with MP Lit Guide)
  • King Arthur (with MP Lit Guide)
  • Robin Hood (with MP Lit Guide)
  • The Middle Ages, An Interactive History Adventure
  • Joan of Arc, Warrior Saint
  • Anna of Byzantium
  • The Edge on the Sword
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • The Bronze Bow
  • Raiders From the Sea

Plus various selections from Yesterday's Classics audio & ereader books to coincide with historical time periods.

In addition, she will be reading The History of Medicine and The Wonder Book of Chemistry as applicable during science class.

Since a great portion of our history will include the Renaissance, art history should (if I don't go crazy) be included in this study.

Phew....I think that's it!

My dd will be doing the following:

• Horizon's Math 5 (started K with this program & it's the only thing we've stuck with)
  • Classical Comp-Fable Stage
  • R&S English & Spelling 6 along with IEW Fix-It Grammar
  • History Revealed-Romans, Reformers, Revolutionaries w/MP's Famous Men of the Middle Ages
  • MP Geography 1 (Middle East, North Africa, & Europe)
  • MP Poetry
  • God's Design for Chemistry: Properties of Matter and Properties of Atoms & Molecules
  • Latina Christiana I
  • Building Thinking Skills (From Critical Thinking Co)
  • Music & PE @ local elementary school
  • Artistic Pursuits Book 2

Literature Selections to complement History include:

• Adam of the Road (with MP Lit Guide)
  • King Arthur (with MP Lit Guide)
  • Robin Hood (with MP Lit Guide)
  • The Middle Ages, An Interactive History Adventure
  • Joan of Arc, Warrior Saint
  • Anna of Byzantium
  • The Edge on the Sword
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • The Bronze Bow
  • Raiders From the Sea

Plus various selections from Yesterday's Classics audio & ereader books to coincide with historical time periods.

In addition, she will be reading The History of Medicine and The Wonder Book of Chemistry as applicable during science class.

Since a great portion of our history will include the Renaissance, art history should (if I don't go crazy) be included in this study.

Phew....I think that's it!

Oops! I forgot the most important thing - Bible! We actually do Bible in the evening after dinner together as a family. We are using a chronological Bible and read and discuss 3 chapters each night.

Next year, though, I'll be doing MP's Christian Studies III set, as we should finish up to that point this year and be able to slide right into Acts.

Wow, I just realized that i'll have a 5th grader next year, lol. Here's what I have planned so far

Ds:

Classical Conversations (at home) Cycle 2

Building Thinking Skills lvl.2 (2nd half)

Singapore/LOF Intermediate series

HOWT 4 (maybe)

TRAH (spelling)

Had a plan, but now i'm unsure of the rest!!!! Hope to update soon.

Oops! I forgot the most important thing - Bible! We actually do Bible in the evening after dinner together as a family. We are using a chronological Bible and read and discuss 3 chapters each night.

Next year, though, I'll be doing MP's Christian Studies III set, as we should finish up to that point this year and be able to slide right into Acts.

I forgot Bible too, we'll be doing MP's Christian Studies II set, I think

Here's ours:

Math - MM5

Logic - Bonnie Risby workbooks

Science - Elemental Science Chemistry

History - SOTW 2 with AG

Literature\Poetry - Mosdos Coral

Spelling - R&S Spelling 5

Writing - WWE4, IEW Medieval History

Grammar - Killgallon

Art - Homemade by me. We will study the art and artists of the middle ages using various resources.

Music - She is starting a beginner's homestudy course for piano. The appreciation aspect is just ongoing and organic...it's just part of our lives to listen to a variety of music and talk about the composers, genres, and history.

Foreign Language- Not sure. We are "debating" on continuing Latin or not. If we do we will go with First Form.

She'll also have co-op classes next year...not sure of the choices yet. Other activities include weekly horse back riding and swimming.

Math: continue AoPS, Life of Fred

Logic: Orbiting with Logic

Language: MCTLA Voyage, IEW-SICC B, Voyages in English, Spelling Power, good books, Teaching the Classics, continue poetry memorization

Speech/Debate: Speak Out! Debate and Public Speaking in the Middle Grades and Well Spoken: Teaching Speaking to All Students; I've been looking for ways to dig deeper into current events, geography, politics, etc. and I think starting with family speech/debate would be a fun approach. It is definitely time to widen his world. DH is going to up his game in the life skills department as well.

Spanish: continue with Rosetta Stone & conversational Spanish

Latin: Lively Latin

History: SOTW 3 & OUP with guides, more primary sources, lots of good historical fiction and lit, continuing with The Story of Science

Science: highly tweaked/supplemented intertwining of CPO earth/life/physical science. We will also combine/continue inquiry science and tinkering but I will be teaching/looking for more organized written work and increased use of math. Also looking to incorporate a higher level of current non-fiction books on the subject. I am enjoying the suggestions in the CPO teacher's guides.

Nature Study: continue Desert Southwest Family Field Guide Project (plus classes at the botanical garden and zoo?)

Art: continue to integrate with history using A ChildĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s History of Art and Art in Story; applied art with whatever lesson plans DD comes up with http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue_smilie.gif

Swim Team

Guitar/Piano: continue lessons and learn a selection of historic pieces

I think we will also do another geography unit over the summer. I am thinking of incorporating Mapping the World with Art.

I'll give it a shot:

Math - MM5, or CLE 5, or Horizons 5 (super unsure here)

Language - FLL 4, Winning With Writing 5, Mosdos Coral, k12reader (spelling)

History - SOTW 4/Activity Guide or History Odyssey Level 1 Modern (also using SOTW 4 as a spine)

Science - Elemental Science Physics

Latin - Great Latin Adventure 1

Poetry - MCT Poetry (if I can find the darn thing)

Logic - Logic Liftoff

I'll have a 5th grade son. I'm still in the planning stage, so some of it isn't set in stone. We are part of a co-op that is making decisions as well. It meets every other week.

Bible: Awana, Devotions

Math: BJU 5th/6th (will have to start 6th mid-year); LOF as supplement

Logic: puzzles and workbooks

Grammar: R & S (doing 4 now, will start 5 when finished)

Spelling: R & S (same as grammar)

Writing: IEW U. S. History Vol. 1 theme book (Co-Op Class)

Art: at co-op

History: studying U. S. history focusing on topics my son chooses to go more in-depth (haven't picked materials yet)

Science: possibly along with a co-op class, looking at Apologia's Chemistry and Physics due out this summer

Here are our plans for next year:

Math: Singapore Math 5A/B

Grammar: Probably Hake 5

Writing: IEW SICC-A or theme based

Total Language Plus Literature Guides

History: Story of the World 3, Time Travelers to add in more US History

Science: Chemistry - trying to decide between Ellen McHenry, Elemental Science and REAL Science

Latin: Lively Latin or GSWL

Geography: Evan Moor Daily Geography

Art: Home Art Studio

Thanks for this thread! It has shown me that I still have several decisions to make!

My oldest will be in 5th grade next year. This is the plan as of now:

HOD CTC everything

R&S Grammar

R&S Spelling

SM 5a/5b

I'm undecided on Lit right now. It may be DITHR 5/6 or something else.

Apologia Young Explorers, either Anatomy or Chemistry(My dh does these with the kids in the evenings.)

Getting Started With Spanish

Composer study and artist study with my other kids.

Swim Team

Here's what we've planned thus far for next year.

History and Bible Sonlight Core E

Math TT6

LA: Wordly Wise, Winston Grammar, Intermediate Language Lessons (and some Sonlight Core L/A)

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Science: Sonlight Science E

Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting 4

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: Piano lessons

Foreign Language: unsure

Logic: Critical Thinking Activities

PE: Allstar Cheerleading and running 2 miles 3/4x a week

Well, mine is 5th grade right now, but I have LOVED what we have done this year, so I am sharing.

R&S grade 6 math and spelling, Grade 5 English mostly orally, but she does all comp. exercises.

Mindbenders

WTM style logic ancients history: outlining KHE once a week, writing one summary a week from library books, timelining, and using The Geography Coloring Book

CHOLL logic ancients. LOVE this as a companion to history, for dictation and summary writing, and for classical studies!

First Form Latin (this takes a large chunk of time a week) and a Latin club 1 hr a week that we started to work on fun latin stuff not covered in FF.

Spanish for Children (slowly. We are only in chp. 8. This is just for exposure at this time. She isn't going to speak it the way we are going right now, but she will have the background if she takes it later..)

Memoria Press Christian Studies vol. 1 (again slowly. We are only through unit 2, so probably won't finish it this year, but will just slowly move into the next when we get there.)

We did Memoria Press 5th grade science for the first couple of months of school. I loved the bird unit. We learned a ton. We started the History of Medicine, but quickly dropped the written work with it. She joined a co-op class using : Science Explorers 6th grade, and does all of the reading and writing with it, and doing lots of dissections and activities in that class, hence why we dropped the writing w/MP at home. But if we didn't do that class, we could have kept up the MP. I liked it.

Art: reading along with history from Usborne books, and a co-op class 30 min. a week. a 6 wk afterschool course in the fall, possibly another in the spring.

Girl scouts, tap, ballet, and jazz, and swim lessons in summer only. We did drop piano and music this year for the first time. I hope to add it back next year. We shall see.

It has been a busy year, but I have loved the switch to logic stage stuff here. I do less hands on at home too, now that she has art and science at co-op, but I like that for a break this year :) Hope you all enjoy your 5th grade too!

I put mine on the Logic board. :svengo:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/448898-5th-grade-plans/

It's buried on page 7, so this is what I wrote:

I can't believe I'm going to have a 5th grader!

MFW CTG (includes history, Bible, science, art, and music)

CLE 500, probably continue with CWP 4 and more HOE

R&S grammar 5

Spelling Power

I'm thinking of ditching handwriting and requiring all written work in cursive, then adding typing back in.

MCP Phonics F

Probably CLE Reading 5

WWS

I am undecided about Latin - I don't know whether to go with LFC C, LNM, or just drop it for a couple of years and pick it back up in 7th.

Orbiting With Logic, Logic Safari 3, maybe some Grid Perplexors

What am I missing? I always feel like I'm missing something one these threads.

I think now I might do Latin Alive. I'm also adding in some assigned lit. a la WTM.

I'm going to try not to read what everyone else's 5th graders are doing so that I can stick to the plan I have at the moment. :laugh:

This is what I have so far:

History/Geography:

My own Early American History plans, which you can see at my blog in my siggy below

Math:

MUS Epsilon (and possibly some Zeta depending on how quickly he moves through the fractions in the fall)

Science:

Apologia Land Animals (he is doing this with our co-op)

Art/Music:

Adventures in Art

Composer studies as listed on AO

Language Arts:

Total Language Plus: The Witch of Blackbird Pond, Amos Fortune Free Man, and The Sign of the Beaver

Physical Education:

This is a co-op class, but also baseball in the fall and spring and possibly our local gym

For my 5th grader here is what I have planned so far:

MATH: Saxon 65 (finishing it up then move to 78)

Grammar: Either Hake or Rod and Staff waiting to see them in person to decide

History: Sonlight Core E and CC cycle 2

Writing: Writing with Ease 4 and IEW Fairy Tales

Latin: Prima Latina

Science: Christian kids Explore following topics covered in CC

Spelling; Apples and Pears

Extras afterschool activities:

Art class, ballet, baton, tumbling

Here's mine from the other thread:

Shaking in my boots. I will have a 5th grader as well. I can't believe our time is going so fast. It seems like yesterday when I was researching Pre-K stuff!!

We do the full Seton Home Study School Boxed Curriculum with substitutions when needed.

Art

Art 5 for Young Catholics - I may switch this one out for Atelier Art again. I really enjoy it and so does Melissa. Since this isn't a core subject, it's fine to substitute.

English

English 5 for Young Catholics

Handwriting

Handwriting 5 for Young Catholics - this is mostly practice and then copy work for practice in writing neater and smaller.

History

AmericaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Catholic Heritage - We are really looking forward to this. It's an entire year on American History - and goes all the way through my personal favorite President, Ronald Reagan!

Maps, Charts, Graphs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Level E, The United States and It's Neighbors. This is one of Melissa's favorite subjects and book series. She wants to work through it faster, but I want to make it last and use it as a carrot. LOL

SOTW as a read aloud at night.

Mathematics

Saxon 5/4 Ă¢â‚¬Â¨OR or 6/5 depending on how she tests into it

Music

We Sing and Blend (Catholic) - teaching harmony and reading music

Phonics

Phonics 5 For Young Catholics - mostly focusing on roots of words, prefixes, suffixed, syllables, alphabetizing practice, dictionaries, diphthongs and digraphs.

Physical Education

They typically give us exercises for each week and milestones to accomplish

Reading

These Are Our People -These are readers. Love them!!!

Book of Gratitude - Very tried and true essays and readings about values, morals

Reading 5 for Young Catholics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Comprehension

Reading 5 for Young Catholics Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Thinking Skills

2 Saint Biographies (Example: King David and His Songs)

Red Hugh, Prince of Donegal

If All The Swords in England

Religion

Religion 5 for Young Catholics - Focusing mostly on the commandments and the sacraments of the church

St. Joseph Concise Bible History

St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1

Science/Health

GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Marvelous Works Book 1 blech. We are going to minimally use it to pass the tests but our real science book will be Behold and See 5 from CHC

Health 5 for Young Catholics - This is actually a health and anatomy book.

We will be doing selected chapters from Apologia Flying Creatures also.

*There are some rumblings that they are currently writing a Seton Press Science book for 5th AND 6th grade that will replace the abysmal God's Marvelous Works and they MAY be ready for next year. I'm PRAYING!! Our favorite science book of all time was their book this year!! I love the way their science books are laid out and I'd be thrilled if they were ready for us. At least I know the 6th grade one would be.

Spelling

Spelling 5 for Young Catholics - I really like their spelling series. They introduce the words by major sound, then they do a fill in the blank to check meaning, then a fill in the definition page, then a story using the words.

Vocabulary

Vocabulary 6 For Young Catholics - we are ahead one year.

We are still deciding between Latin programs. We will continue working on typing as well.

Here are our 5th grade plans:

Math: Saxon 65, Tables/Squares/Cubes for drill, multiplication flashcards, Trivium Tables

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Greek: Hey Andrew 5

Latin: LNST 5, Trivium Tables

Spelling: Spelling Plus (Level F and G)

Grammar: Essentials of the English Language and Dictation Resource Book, Trivium Tables

Writing: Pre-Scripts Sentences and Passages, IEW History based writing

Reading: Literature list from Writing Road to Reading and Veritas Press, Teaching the Classics terms, McCall Crabbs Book E for comprehension, McGuffey 5th Reader

Geography: CC Maps and maybe Draw Your World, Trivium Tables

History: Acts and Facts Timeline Cards, memory work, History Highlights, SOTW, Veritas Press

Science: Acts and Facts Science Cards, nature study, Lyrical Science, Janice Van Cleave's 201 Experiments book

Fine Arts: Drawing With Children, Foundations guide, Discovering Great Artists, Classical Music for Dummies

Bible: Veritas Press

Tons of living books and reference books to flesh all this out......Possible CC lapbooking using A Journey Through Learning and Wisdom and Righteousness in the summer, Homeschool Curriculum Co. Science units in summer

Here are our 5th grade plans:

Math: Saxon 65, Tables/Squares/Cubes for drill, multiplication flashcards, Trivium Tables

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Greek: Hey Andrew 5

Latin: LNST 5, Trivium Tables

Spelling: Spelling Plus (Level F and G)

Grammar: Essentials of the English Language and Dictation Resource Book, Trivium Tables

Writing: Pre-Scripts Sentences and Passages, IEW History based writing

Reading: Literature list from Writing Road to Reading and Veritas Press, Teaching the Classics terms, McCall Crabbs Book E for comprehension, McGuffey 5th Reader

Geography: CC Maps and maybe Draw Your World, Trivium Tables

History: Acts and Facts Timeline Cards, memory work, History Highlights, SOTW, Veritas Press

Science: Acts and Facts Science Cards, nature study, Lyrical Science, Janice Van Cleave's 201 Experiments book

Fine Arts: Drawing With Children, Foundations guide, Discovering Great Artists, Classical Music for Dummies

Bible: Veritas Press

Tons of living books and reference books to flesh all this out......Possible CC lapbooking using A Journey Through Learning and Wisdom and Righteousness in the summer, Homeschool Curriculum Co. Science units in summer

:hurray: i'm going to be buying table, squares and cubes next week. I'm hoping that once I get my curriculum budget set up, I can afford the other the trivium tables.

Math: SM 4B/5A

LoF Fractions & Decimals/Percents

LA: McGuffey 3rd/4th Readers

Daily Grammar Practice 5

Dictation

Written narrations

Killgallon Sentence Composing

Bible: Training Hearts ...

Action Bible

His.: Possibly Diana Waring's audio cds (ancients) and whatever he wants to read independently

Sc.: John Tiner's titles and considering AiG

Lang.: Hey Andrew ... Greek (?)

Art: Home Art Studio 5

Extra: Tawkwon-Do

Typing

Logic Liftoff

Goat and Chicken Care (GCC) :)

Lego/Outdoor Play

I'm not reading history aloud next year. This year is going great with a world history overview, but next year will be audio cds and independent reading. I plan to read aloud more classic literature.

For my 5th grader:

Math: SM 4b, probably switching to R&S 5th grade when that is finished

LA: LLATL 5th , WW5, keyboarding, Evan Moor Daily LA Review, maybe another EM book or two

Reading: Historical Fiction from Winter Promise, books from LLATL

History: American Story 2 Winterpromise

Geography: continue U>S> geography, my own making

Science: Elemental Chemistry

Art: Evan Moor How to Teach Art to Children, Clay classes, classes at local museum

Music: Possibly piano lessons, Symphony concert series

Pys ed: Ice Skating weekly lessons, dance lessons

My 5th grader:

Saxon Math 76

Rod & Staff 5

Spelling Workout 5

Pentime Penmanship 5

Elemental Science Chemistry - he'll likely be underfoot during his highschool brothers' chemistry experiments as well :lol:

Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Upper Grammar - History, Literature, Writing, Art

For my dd who will be 5th grade next year....

Bible - MP's Christian Studies 2

History - CC Cycle 2, MOH 2, some AO year 2 selections

Science - CC Cycle 2 - and some other resource to accompany it :-)

LA - CC Essentials - (grammar and IEW) w/ Phonetic Zoo

Math - CLE 400

Reading/Literature - undecided - maybe something structured along w/ some Middle Ages Lit.

CC Foundations and Essentials

Extras - chess and piano (summer swim team), not sure if we can add a school-year sport for her or not.

Wow, my "baby" will be a fifth grader in the fall! Where is the time going? :confused1:

Anyhow, her lineup:

Math: Either Saxon Math 5/4 and then into 6/5, OR Math Mammoth Blue series, books at 4th/5th grade level

Language Arts: BraveWriter Lifestyle inspired. Some remedial phonics with ETC, though she's making good progress lately. Lots of reading practice. When she's more or less ready for some writing instruction, either Writing Strands, or maybe The Paragraph Book.

History: I have two options in mind, and am debating between them. 1. History with her brother, which would be a year of ancient Greek and Roman history, using K12's Human Odyssey as a spine, and adding in the OUP books on Greeks/Romans, and the Dorothy Mills books on the same topics. 2. American history with a "secularized" version of Beautiful Feet's Intermediate Early American. Which to choose???? :ohmy: It would be easier for me to have them both doing the same topic, but I think she might be a little more drawn to option 2.

Science: We're using Dawkins' book The Magic of Reality as our spine for science next year--there is SO much in there! I'll be adding in documentaries, trade books, biographies, and so forth. We do a lot of nature based science studies too.

Literature: Various selections, some from 1000 Good Books, some from AO's Years 3-6, etc.

Art & Art History, Composer studies, Geography: We're working our way through the topics for these subjects outlined in the Core Knowledge sequence. I bring in trade/topical/picture books, hands-on projects, our extensive classical music collection, maps from National Geographic, travel documentaries, and Richard Halliburtons Complete Book of Marvels for fun reading!

Other: Continued roller derby, nature studies (see science as well), some project based learning, etc., all on an ongoing basis.

For my dd who will be 5th grade next year....

Bible - MP's Christian Studies 2

History - CC Cycle 2, MOH 2, some AO year 2 selections

Science - CC Cycle 2 - and some other resource to accompany it :-)

LA - CC Essentials - (grammar and IEW) w/ Phonetic Zoo

Math - CLE 400

Reading/Literature - undecided - maybe something structured along w/ some Middle Ages Lit.

CC Foundations and Essentials

Extras - chess and piano (summer swim team), not sure if we can add a school-year sport for her or not.

Love your plan, had something similar planned and then changed it, I think i'm changing it back!!

Here is my rough draft. Mind you this may look quite different by June.

Math--Horizons 5, CWP 4

Grammar--R&S English 5

Spelling--Spelling Power

Composition--IEW SICC-A, The Paragraph Book (1 or 2?)

Reading--Books from 1000 Good Books List

LIterature discussion/Monthly Book Club--Teaching the Classics/Deconstructing Penguins

Reading Comp/Test Practice--Skill Sharpeners Reading (Evan-Moor), Editor in Chief

Vocabulary--Vocabulary Workshop

Logic--Building Thinking Skills 2, Mind Benders

Memory Work--various selections and lists from history, science, geography, Awana

Oral Language/Public Speaking--IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, Oral reports

World History--?

American History--?

Science--BFSU, Zula Patrol on PBS (don't laugh--I think my kids learn more from this show than from almost anything else)

Music--Faber Piano, Music appreciation?

Art--Meet the Masters, 20 Art lessons: For Grades 4,5,& 6, Mark Kistler online drawing lessons

Geography--Mapping the World with Art, finish The Complete Book of Maps and Geography gr 3-6, maybe start Discovering the World of Geography workbook

State history, civics, economics, government--Studies Weekly

I also do lapbooks in history (3), science (2), state history (1), civics (1)

I am just starting thinking on this.

Math: CLE 400/500 - we are off by 1/2 cycle

Science: CHC grade 5 or possibly CSH hands on science + co-op

LA: CLE 4/5 - plus AAS 4

Social: provincial curricula, 5th is still a narrative and dd enjoys it.

Religion: Faith & Life - possibly online

Art: ecclectic, some crafty, some grand masters and co-op

Music: Possibly piano lessons

Performing arts - co-op

Phys Ed: home treadmill(burns anxious energy). hockey and karate. Possibly swimming, but that is usually summer+co=op

French: 1x a week group class, L'art de lire and at the co-op.

Very preliminary. I'm debating LA right now as well as science..lol.

My son is in 5th grade this year, and here is what is working well for us:

CLE math 5

Story problems from Scholastic ebooks and Hands-On Equations

Complete Book of US History with supplements (History of Us DVD, Story of the USA workbooks)

Mr. Q Physical Science with several kits, supplemented with Eureka and Bill Nye videos

GWG 5

WWW 4 (could have done 5, but he is a weak writer)

Editor in Chief/Reading Detective/Daily Language Review/Scholastic ebooks for more practice

Ready Readers 2 for lit analysis along with additional books and Scholastic lit guides

Saxon Phonics Intervention to fill in gaps and build foundation for better spelling. He is very dyslexic.

We have not really gotten off the ground with Homeschool in the Woods composers and art lap books, nor art and music study. That may end up being put off until the end of the year.

I bumped the thread in the Logic forum last night when I realized I'll have a fifth grader next year too. :shudder:  I don't feel like we're ready for logic stage, but who knows what changes the summer will bring.  So far I'm thinking:

History: CHOL Middle Ages

Grammar: MCTLA Town

Writing: CW Homer (Maybe? We're about to start Aesop B and I want to see how that goes.)

Spelling:  SWO E

Math: BA followed by MM 4 (assuming BA 4 isn't ready)

Science: Mr. Q

Latin: SSL 2 (with her brother) and Minimus

Logic: ?

Activities: ballet, strength conditioning, and fencing

We're a little weird here, as our soon to be 5th grader is our youngest, being educated with his four siblings who are all a year and four months apart! We are trying to "meet in the middle" where possible for ELL needs, lower grade level, trying to keep soon-to-be high schooler not doing every single thing alone, etc. So here goes:

1) Soaring with Spelling 6th grade

2) Growing with Grammar - Finish 6th grade and complete most of 7th grade (he is 2 chapters in already)

3) Mosdos Press - 6th grade

4) Teaching Textbooks - 7th grade (started last week, not sure what to do when he finishes it mid year next year...go on to pre-algebra??? Seems like too much)

5) Biology/Life Science - We will be using a middle school text combined with a high school lab, and he will do what makes sense for him. The middle school text will actually be perfect, as we are finishing up Nancy Larson 4 which is NOT 4th grade, just a level number. In fact, FYI, we have used Nancy Larson from 1-4 and as I look at the middle school text for science, we will already have covered over half the chapters so I'll have to fill in with something.

6) History - A whole mess of stuff, including an ELL high school text for US History (reading level is about 5-6th grade), Middle school level of Trail Guide to US History Geography, Great Courses for High School (if not too high of a level for him, he will at least be listening and part of the conversation afterward), Current Events from Connect the Thoughts on Wars/Terrorism

7) Write Shop

8) TaeKwonDo - Either working toward black belt, or assisting teaching the class if he is allowed to take black belt test this year

9) Homeschool League Volleyball

10) Playing with superheroes and reading the DC Comics Encyclopedia :-)

As I type this, it seems a little weird, or as if we are pushing him, but it is the classic case of a kid being swept along with his older siblings. Because we have 2 ELL learners and 1 spec ed older learner as well, we take subjects a little more slowly and explain them far more thoroughly than most might need to, which makes a big difference for our youngest. That, and he is a December baby so he is a tad bit older, which also helps. We also school year round, as our other kids can't have 3 months off or we would really forget a lot, and that has helped him get a little ahead I think.

I will say, though, that using the Connect the Thoughts elementary history curriculum has had a big impact on his ability to think more deeply about things, and I would recommend it to anyone. It is excellent!

My dd10 started 5th grade in January and is doing:

Saxon 54 for Math (was already partway through this book so will move to 65 during the year.)

LLATL Purple, Abeka Grammar, Pictures in Cursive, and Free Writing for English/LA.

Sonlight B and C for History, Geography, and Read-alouds ( 3/4 of the way through Core B then beginning Core C after Easter)

Sonlight D/E readers for Literature.

Abeka Science 5 for Science

Projects from SOTW activity book and other random art resources I have for Art and Craft

Violin and Piano for Music

Swimming and outdoor activities for PE.

I have a 5th grader this year- this is my youngest and a go-getter- I'm always working at keeping her busy enough.

Math Saxon 6/5

Perplexors A,B,C (she might make it through D- she loves them)

1/4 Mile Math

Language

RS German

(I think we'll pick Latin back up again next year with FFL)

R & S 4

Sequential Spelling 1

Copywork

Memorize Horatius at the Bridge

Regular read-alouds.

Science

Apologia Anatomy and Phys (MP3)

Tiner's Biology and History of Medicine this week

Hx/Geo

MP World Geography

MP States Geography

FMoG & FMOR

Etc.

Space and Earth Journey through Learning Lapbooks

Artistic Pursuits

We'll be starting Adventus Music lessons as soon as the keybd gets here (WOOT!)

Weekly clay class

We'll be starting Computer science for kids in March

TC- art class

Co-op - unit study, art, choir

I have a 5th grader this year- this is my youngest and a go-getter- I'm always working at keeping her busy enough.

Math Saxon 6/5

Perplexors A,B,C (she might make it through D- she loves them)

1/4 Mile Math

Language

RS German

(I think we'll pick Latin back up again next year with FFL)

R & S 4

Sequential Spelling 1

Copywork

Memorize Horatius at the Bridge

Regular read-alouds.

Science

Apologia Anatomy and Phys (MP3)

Tiner's Biology and History of Medicine this week

Hx/Geo

MP World Geography

MP States Geography

FMoG & FMOR

Etc.

Space and Earth Journey through Learning Lapbooks

Artistic Pursuits

We'll be starting Adventus Music lessons as soon as the keybd gets here (WOOT!)

Weekly clay class

We'll be starting Computer science for kids in March

TC- art class

Co-op - unit study, art, choir

I agree that R&S English 4 is plenty for 5th grade. We are doing it now, and I think it covers just as much or possibly more than our local public middle schools cover.

What is FMor & FMOR? I thought I knew all of the acronyms, but that one got me.

I agree that R&S English 4 is plenty for 5th grade. We are doing it now, and I think it covers just as much or possibly more than our local public middle schools cover.

What is FMor & FMOR? I thought I knew all of the acronyms, but that one got me.

I think it's Famous Men of Greece & Famous Men of Rome.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from a few months ago to share my 5th grade plans (I ordered the main part of our curricula today so I'm excited!):

Sonlight 4-Day Core D (American History) with Advanced Readers - woo hoo! So glad to finally get to studying the U.S. of A.! :patriot:

Sonlight LA (didn't like it before but might as well try out the new LA since it's included)

Sequential Spelling

Rosetta Stone Latin Level 1 (new this year! Don't know a *thing* about Latin.)

Teaching Textbooks Math 5

Mathtacular 3 (as a supplement)

CHC handwriting

CHC Behold & See Science

CHC various saints stories / Catholic literature

Wordly Wise 3000 (forgot to order that from Sonlight. Doh)

Seriously considering IEW's TWSS/SWI-A

Faith & Life online for catechism

The bolded is what I've already ordered and so is a done deal. :001_smile:

I think ds10 will LOVE all the SL readers and read-alouds. I got the "advanced readers" just so he can move faster through the readers like I know he will and still have something to read.

(Duplicate post from thread in Middle Grade forum)

ENGLISH

Galore Park, So You Really Want to Learn English, Book 1 (analysis, composition)

Drums, Scribner School Ed. with study guide (close reading)

Poetry with Pleasure (poetry)

Word Wealth Junior (vocabulary, spelling)

1920 My Book House, 1902 Young Folks' Library, Alfred Church children's classics (literature)

FRENCH

Weekly lesson

BJU French

LATIN

Artes Latinae

Memorization of mass prayers

GREEK

Athenaze

MATH

AoPS Intermediate Algebra, Counting and Probability

Math team

SCIENCE

TOPS: Graphing; Analysis; Pressure & Buoyancy; Pi in the Sky; Earth, Moon, and Sun; Cohesion/Adhesion

Golden Guides: Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Weather, Geology

MUSIC

Piano lessons

How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music

HISTORY/CIVICS

Landmark history series

Everyday Law for Young Citizens

RELIGION

My Catholic Faith (catechism)

The Mass Explained to Children (liturgy)

PHYSICAL EDUCATION

Running, swimming

(Not all of these, every day!)

(Duplicate post from thread in Middle Grade forum)

ENGLISH

1920 My Book House

SCIENCE

TOPS: Graphing; Analysis; Pressure & Buoyancy; Pi in the Sky; Earth, Moon, and Sun; Cohesion/Adhesion

Golden Guides: Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Weather, Geology

MUSIC

How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music

Violet,

My dd9 is also reading through the My Book House series. Because English is a foreign language for me, I can't really judge at what level she is reading now. Which books from the series do you plan for your daughter? Would you consider your daughter ahead in reading, average? My dd is reading book 6 at the moment.

Love your TOPS science line up!

What are those Golden Guides, do you have a link? Are they similar to TOPS?

What are you using for How To Introduce Your Child to Classical Music?

Thanks,

Violet,

My dd9 is also reading through the My Book House series. Because English is a foreign language for me, I can't really judge at what level she is reading now. Which books from the series do you plan for your daughter? Would you consider your daughter ahead in reading, average? My dd is reading book 6 at the moment.

Love your TOPS science line up!

What are those Golden Guides, do you have a link? Are they similar to TOPS?

What are you using for How To Introduce Your Child to Classical Music?

Thanks,

Book House: Much depends on the edition. Later editions, it seems to me, are less challenging than the earlier; also, it was printed with different numbers of volumes. We have the 6-volume 1920 edition that you can find on Google Books, and we're reading The Treasure Chest (vol. 4), sometimes aloud and sometimes Middle Girl reading to herself. She is a little advanced I think as a reader, but it's still very challenging for her: it includes selections from Dickens, George Eliot, and Tolstoy, among others. So much of it is literature not originally intended for children. She still very much likes to re-read from the earlier volumes, even vol. 1.

Wikipedia has a complete listing of the various Book House editions in the Olive Beaupre Miller entry.

Golden Guides: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Guides

These are nice hand-sized books, and I hope the ones I've picked out will introduce much of the middle-school-level science that isn't learnable through the discovery method TOPS uses.

How To Introduce (etc.) doesn't need anything except the music itself, most of which is common enough that it can be borrowed (from the library or friends), found on Youtube, or bought cheaply used or from Amazon.

Hope this helps!

Math: Math on the Level & Life of Fred

Writing: IEW Fables, Myths and Fairytales

Spelling: Phonetic Zoo & Spelling Wisdom

Literature: An assortment of classics and Newberry winners

Grammar & Mechanics: still deciding between ILL or just going our own and using our readings to cover those topics; supplement with Grammaropolis. We are holding off on diagraming this year.

Geography, Science and Bible: MFW ECC

History: Biographies of historical figures from around the world as well as movies and documentaries.

Art: MFW ECC, Meet the Masters

Home ECC: Quilting and cooking projects to represent the countries we visit.

Extra: Drama, American Girl lit class, Rythmic Gymnastics and on Fridays we will cover various subjects of interest from an array of topics. Oh and I believe we are adding piano lessons.

I love reading everyone's selections. So many similarities and so much variety at the same time.

These are my plans copy and pasted from another thread. I've made some changes though.

"I'm planning for a 5th grader as well. I'm a tad nervous about it. Also planning for a 1st grader. Something about these two "grades" are putting me on edge. So far my plans look like this:

Language Arts: Continue with Bravewriter and Arrow guides. We started WWE late in the game so finish up WWE4 and hopefully (maybe?) look into WWS in the second half of the year. I've been contemplating using the Writer's Express curriculum for grammar review and to add a bit of "conventional" writing instruction. I would tweak this and pick and choose assignments and blend it into the BW lifestyle and writing philosophy. Mainly it's my dh getting nervous about the "conventional" writing instruction. :glare: I think his new job as the English GED instructor is going to his head. He's trespassing on my territory! ETA: also add in the new Bravewriter Partnership Writing and/or explore KISS Grammar online.

Continue with Sequential Spelling Level 4. Other than Arrow guides and free reading, and my own continued read alouds, I've decided to use Teaching with Favorite Newbery Books for lit studies. I've chosen 6 books to explore in more depth. My ds is allergic to practicing cursive, even though he has beautiful cursive, so I'm looking for something other than HWT to have him continue practicing. I have a Scholastic ebook that may do the job, and I'll let him work with it self-paced. I also want him to work with the BBC Typepad more often.

Math: Saxon 6/5 (if we get real close to finishing 5/4 this summer) and self-paced work with the Key To series. ETA: continue with Logic Posters for math based logic.

Science: RS4K Biology level 1 and the rest of the year will be devoted to Science Explorer Environmental Science. Continue with OHC nature study and Private Eye (which we all do together, all ages). I also printed out Soda Pop, Sandwich Bag, and Coffee Can science from Scholastic for him and he's excited to set up his own explorations. ETA: Going with RSO Biology level 2 instead. I think he would still like Environmental Science so I may work it in informally, but I'm thinking I may save it to work into earth science for 6th. If any of these things are a flop, I have several things to fall back on at least.

History: History of US by Joy Hakim with Oxford University Press guides. Continue geography/culture units using Trip Around The World. I'll read Hakim aloud and I've decided to have him read on his own The Complete Book of US History. (He won't read non-fiction and I want him to practice reading non-fiction silently to himself.) Also work in The Complete Book of Presidents and States.

(I'm planning 2 weeks of history/geo rotated with 2 weeks of science.)

Also we will spend time with some free online computer programming websites. I think this will be tons of fun for him. I also plan on presenting the Montessori Great Lessons to all of them periodically.

Art will be to continue with DWC and HFA together and my 5th grader will have private painting lessons with a local artist.

Continue karate. And possibly start a new therapy routine with a private SLP who works solely with children on the ASD spectrum

I'm working out some mommy-made comparative religions studies and want to use the Philosophy for Children series.

Yes I know Latin and foreign lang is missing. :leaving: He can continue using the Roots Up cards and maybe I'll try to fit in Vocab from Classical Roots. Oh well! I think we'll be doing okay in spite of that.

Math - TT 6 then possibly part of 7

Logic - Building Thinking Skills 3

Science - Unit studies of Anatomy, Astronomy, then....?

History - SOTW 2 with AG and Kingfisher

Literature - A list of awesome books I'm still working on, starting with The Hobbit

Spelling - Still not sure. Spelling workout, perhaps?

Writing - WWE4

Grammar - FLL 4 then Jr. AG

Art - Atelier 4

Music - Piano lessons

Foreign Language- Rosetta Stone 2 French; GSWL

I'm still not sure would anybody like to help me come up with some ideas? He's an average reader, a horrible speller and he very decent at math. I really have no budget, but I have stuff from his older siblings.

I'm not sure what you have from your other children, so here's a suggestion:

Math: whatever his siblings used, at his speed. You might want to have him do the chapter or unit tests before he covers the material to see if he really needs to go through the exercises. If you really want to buy something, you can try Math Mammoth and do the same thing.

Spelling: Apples & Pears (it is a little expensive, but if necessary you can buy the student book and use the TM sample online. It's done wonders for my struggling speller.)

Reading: Kolbe Academy has a good literature list. I also like to look at things like Sonlight, AO, and Memoria Press and make my own list. You can always use the Scholastic Book Wizard to find books on his reading level, or slightly above, then discuss the story. Have him look up any unfamiliar words.

I don't know if you need anything for any other subject.