Menu

Printing my own Diploma

ok so my oldest is having a graduation with 26 other homeschoolers from our local group. I need to print up a nice diploma and would like to have it in a cover.

So how do I do it? Anyone done this themselves? I'd like to have a template of something and where is the best place to find the cover?

ok so my oldest is having a graduation with 26 other homeschoolers from our local group. I need to print up a nice diploma and would like to have it in a cover.

So how do I do it? Anyone done this themselves? I'd like to have a template of something and where is the best place to find the cover?

I know this is probably more than you want to spend... BUT... after 12 years of homeschooling, I decided *I* was worth the super-duper diploma! ;) I really wanted something very nice and official to help give ME closure and the feel of an award for a job well-done.... so...

We went with Homeschool Diploma. Very nice quality paper, they print whatever you want for the text, we got the nice padded cover, and older DS had a high GPA, so they also were able to affix the gold "honors" seal to it, as well! It was so nice to order it, hit "send" and have this lovely diploma arrive in the mail -- and *I* didn't have to do it! ;)

Side note: Bring a box of tissues to the homeschool graduation ceremony! I was so caught off-guard that I would be that emotional. :crying: It so unexpectedly felt like we were really launching our firstborn DS into adulthood and saying goodbye to a huge part of our lives. (Seriously, I'm tearing up right now, just remembering!)

Anyways, just throwing that other diploma option out there for you, in case you wanted a more formal and expensive (lol) option. Congratulations of graduating your first! Warmest regards, Lori D.

We went with Homeschool Diploma. Very nice quality paper, they print whatever you want for the text, we got the nice padded cover, and older DS had a high GPA, so they also were able to affix the gold "honors" seal to it, as well! It was so nice to order it, hit "send" and have this lovely diploma arrive in the mail -- and *I* didn't have to do it! ;)

This is who we went with as well ~ nicely done and at a good price.

What size would be best? I think mine from high school is 6x8, but I see they have for sale full sheet size.

If you're making your own:

There's nothing magical or "standardized" about the size for diplomas. I'd think end-product first. In other words, what will you DO with the diploma once you have it -- or how will you store or display it?

Are you going to roll it into a scroll and tie it with ribbon for carrying or handing off during the ceremony and that's it? Then 6"x8" will be a little small and trickier to do so; 8.5"x11" works great for rolling and tieing.

If the diploma is just going to be displayed at the ceremony and then going into a folder or the page-protector of a binder for storage, then any size up to 8.5"x11" will be fine.

In you want to display the diploma -- put it in a special cardboard folder or a frame -- then pick the cardboard display frame or other frame first, and then size your diploma to easily fit.

Or, are you looking at the ones at Homeschool Diploma?

If so, then I personally would go with the larger size, since they cost the same. ;) It also looks like the smaller size is more limited in cover options. At any rate, we were very happy with the Standard Diploma option, 8.5"x11" size.

ok cause what I was thinking was to put it in the cover and hand it to him, but I thought the big one would be too big. Maybe I should just ask him which he'd prefer. I figured it would then just be stored in the diploma cover and put away.

For our homeschool group's graduation ceremony, for a consistent look, everyone was given a piece of blank paper rolled and tied with a ribbon so it looked like each was receiving a diploma. It was left to the families to hand the real diploma to the student at home or whatever when they had really completed all their work (a lot of times our homeschool group has a mid-May graduation ceremony, but a lot of students don't finish until into the summer).

We did the Homeschool Diploma one that was the Standard Diploma 8.5"x11" in the padded cover, and had that for DS on the table for the reception immediately following the graduation ceremony. Other families thought it was very cool and special looking and asked for where we got it.

Sounds like you will be able to hand your DS whatever diploma you do right there in the ceremony, so that sounds best to me -- find out what he wants/you want and go with that! :)

Have a wonderful graduation! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• 3 weeks later...