Menu

misattributing quotes on Facebook

Onceuponatime

This drives me crazy. I overlook the twinges from spelling and grammar errors, but misattributed quotes seriously pain me. The latest was this morning. A sweet young lady posted a sappy "quote" from George Carlin. I couldn't help myself, I had to (kindly) point out the error of her post.

Does anyone else do this? I try to limit how often I respond to this kind of thing. Now I'm wondering if it is obnoxious. I'm not fond of George Carlin, but really!

If I were him, I would be turning over in my grave, not to mention the true author of the quote.

Ugh! The one that is driving me crazy now is Bill Cosby. He's even posted on his website that he doesn't agree with the ugly things in it! It's called I'm 83 and tired. Bill Cosby is only 75.

I've pointed that one out. Twice. I usually don't care, but if it sends the wrong message about the person's character, I'm going to say something.

Ugh! The one that is driving me crazy now is Bill Cosby. He's even posted on his website that he doesn't agree with the ugly things in it! It's called I'm 83 and tired. Bill Cosby is only 75.

I've pointed that one out. Twice. I usually don't care, but if it sends the wrong message about the person's character, I'm going to say something.

I saw that one yesterday.

I saw that last week and was very skeptical.

I've pointed it out twice now, too. One totally ignored me. The other said "well it sounds like something Cosby would have said so it's okay." Ummm, no. It's not. And in fact Mr. Cosby has asked that the who thing be deleted, don't share it, he doesn't agree with it.

I was just grumbling to myself about this very thing. A friend posted one of those "WARNING from the Sheriff's Office" notices. ARGGHH!

I have been known to point out to friends that passing along information via FB without verifying it is the digital equivalent of gossip.

I got into a HUGE week-long FB discussion with a real life friend last summer. It all started because he re-posted a little ditty that was titled "10 Facts About Illegal Immigration". One of the "facts" stated that "66% of all births in California are to illegal immigrants on MediCal". Seriously? Several of the other "facts" seemed far-fetched to me, but this one was absolutely ludicrous, and I thought that I nicely showed him how it just wasn't possible. It turns out that his math skills are as lacking as his common sense. It deteriorated into him attacking me personally, saying that I should be arrested because I support illegal immigration.

But my main point was that it only took me a couple of minutes to determine -- via research, not just my opinion -- that at least one statement on the list was untrue. And that once one item on a list is proven false, all others are in doubt. And once someone has posted something false, I no longer see them as a credible source. I wouldn't want to be known as someone who has so little regard for the truth. His response was that it was absolutely ridiculous for me to think that people should take the time to verify information. If some "statistic" supports your opinion on a topic it's okay to post it.

This just drives me nuts, because I don't think my friends check them, and they are reinforcing their own viewpoints into dogma. And I like and respect these friends! It kills me. Then I saw this one: "90% of quotes on Facebook are misattributed." -- Abraham Lincoln ;)

This just drives me nuts, because I don't think my friends check them, and they are reinforcing their own viewpoints into dogma. And I like and respect these friends! It kills me. Then I saw this one: "90% of quotes on Facebook are misattributed." -- Abraham Lincoln ;)

Hahahahaha! I need to find that and post it.

I clearly need more coffee.

I keep misreading the title.

Shuffle around the letters in "misattributing", leave a few out, add a few in, and, well.......

.....let's just say that I definitely don't like seeing quotes on *that* topic at all, whether they be on FB or anywhere else.

Oye.

Shuffle around the letters in "misattributing", leave a few out, add a few in, and, well.......

.....let's just say that I definitely don't like seeing quotes on *that* topic at all, whether they be on FB or anywhere else.

Oye.

:smilielol5:

Oye.

:svengo:

Oye.

I think I am reading it the same as you.

The easily checked misinformation/misattributing drives me batty. I usually ignore it because if you are too lazy to fact check then you just want to believe what it says and I won't change your mind by pointing out it is wrong.

I don't correct them. It's usually pointless to do so. They don't change their opinion even if they acknowledge the quote is wrong and usually just think the person correcting them is a hater.

I have an unofficial FB rule of letting the first annoying or vulgar update from someone slide. Then I block them from my newsfeed. Let them be ignorant in their own world. I am not reading it.