Menu

Spastic muscle in hip/ back

bethben

I've been dealing off and on with a spastic muscle that originates by my spine and leads into my hip while aggravating my sciatic nerve. I've been keeping it under control with an elliptical machine that seems to work that muscle. Lately, it hasn't been working. I've been to physical therapy twice with this problem over the years, but it only puts a bandaid on the problem never solving it. I apparently have tilted/ misaligned hips that I suspect may be due to never treated scoliosis that was never dealt with as a child. The back problem is exasperated with taking care of my special needs child who needs help transferring.

All that being said, how can I deal with this? Where can I start? I'm in pain walking right now. I can deal with it now, but there have been times when I had to scoot on my butt on the floor to get around because walking and crawling were too painful.

Beth

I have something similar & I let go too far for too long :bored: I have a chiropractor who has physio training as well & he has found some stretches that have helped me more than anything else I've tried (as long as I do them every day) Could you ask your physical therapy person if they can recommend any for you? :grouphug: to you- I know how that kind of pain can ruin your whole day.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Chiropractor. And since you've been having problems for such a long time, it will certainly take many visits to the chiro to see more permanent results (although depending on what the root cause is, you may need regular "tune-ups.").

This has been going on for at least 8-10 years. This is a big deal. I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow and I'll see what he says. I've had it where an adjustment has made it much worse so I tend to avoid that process unless my husband strongly exhorts me to (basically he nags me until I go).

Beth

Prayers! I hope you get some help soon.

I recommend Valerian *natural muscle relaxer, if you are not on any meds.

I have had severe hip shifts too in pregnancy and thankfully a dear friend showed me some exercises that were simple but really helped or I was debilitated.

Does Ice or Heat help at all? At least temporarily?

It has to be rough :grouphug:

I would suggest all of the above - chiropractor (don't just go when you're in pain), physical therapy, and muscle relaxers. If I remember correctly, you're not suppose to put heat on it and should use ice only. Is there a way you can take a few hours to yourself to just lay in bed and not move? That helped me when I had this happen a couple of times.

Just came back from doctor for same problem. Muscle relaxants and heat. He says to avoid the chiro right now because the muscles are so bad, an adjustment would not be worth it. (more pain than good) He is not anti-chiro, which was surprising.

I am going to an acupuncturist sometime this week, though.