Menu

Swimmers: Best type of swim cap?

songsparrow

I signed my girls up at the local YMCA so they can go to the youth swims. They're required to wear swim caps. The last swim caps we got were really tight and not that stretchy, so difficult to get on and off and uncomfortable. I'd rather get something stretchy and more comfortable. I'm not trying to keep their hair dry, just want to comply with the rule. What's the best type of cap to get?

This is mainly about personal preference, but around here the silicone caps are the most popular. A lot of the problems with pulling of hair can be fixed by taking them off underwater and putting them on when the hair is wet.

I prefer silicone over anythingelse. Silicone does not pull my hair. However, I could see some hair pull with a small child. When dd was little avoiding hair pull was paramount so she wore lycra caps. Lycra never pulls hair. If your girls stay with swimming they will probably switch to silicone in another year or so, but lycra is fine.

Definitely silicone. They last longer, too. The easiest way to put the cap on is to wait 'til you get in the pool, go underwater to wet your hair and put hair on top of your head, fill the cap inside out with pool water, and put it on your head. It will go on nearly perfectly, without the struggle and ripping hair.

The easiest way to put the cap on is to wait 'til you get in the pool, go underwater to wet your hair and put hair on top of your head, fill the cap inside out with pool water, and put it on your head. It will go on nearly perfectly, without the struggle and ripping hair.

Around here, putting them on seems to have become a two-man job: The person you're putting it onto holds it in place in front, and the friend pulls it up and over the huge bun they all seem to have.